cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where to mount wireless camera

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a wireless rear view camera. Apex 249rb, overall length 28'. F150 CC

How would the camera work mounted on the rear bumper? Seems like most people mount them up high and wire into a light, so that's probably better. Just having a hard time thinking of drilling holes in a 2017 TT.

If mounted up high would coverage be ok if you mounted the camera right next to the right clearance light, rather than dead center? ( to eliminate a long run of wires )

Suggestions for a good camera in my situation without breaking the bank?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
"The camera is nice to have but not as good as DW spotting when backing into a site."

BINGO!!!
Both work better, especially mine, that has sound, so I can hear her cussing at me. :B :W
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The camera is nice to have but not as good as DW spotting when backing into a site."

BINGO!!!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a camera designed to mount on the license plate holder. I was unhappy with the view - very hard to judge distance. After moving it 6 feet higher, looking down so the spare tire mounted above the bumper is just visible I can back up to well within 6 inches of a post safely.

I mounted the camera inside the class C motorhome, connected to house power switched from the driver's seat. Very handy. You can use an inexpensive relay controlled by a remote to switch power from clearance lights.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy, Thanks. I called Apex and they said they started prewiring in 2018.

They did suggest putting it below the clearance lights, not above, because of red glare coming off the light.

They also emailed me a layout of the back wall to show where the "studs " are.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sony review camera system. Nice thing about it is that the system can be turned off if you wish but it will come on when the rig is put in reverse. Sometimes you just get tired of that constant movement in your peripheral view. While I do have a Class A, i have a towed and like to know when I can safely make a lane change after passing some one to my right. The camera is aimed so I can see my ladder on one near side and both side lanes at the rear of the towed.

Often I am alone while angle parking at the storage yard and can virtually see the rear bumper of the Winnie.

In campgrounds, I use the rear audio so the DW's instructions are clear but there are too many motorcycles with loud(read that as unauthorized/lawful) exhaust that can really startle you.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Use screws if you don't want to lose it. Also I know on Grand Design trailers the factory pre wired the camera mount so power is always on. If you mount check with the mfg to see if its power all the time. If its a new install wire any way you want. If you are going to drill holes no big deal, just use RV silicon on the screws to keep them water tight.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Use screws if you don't want to lose it. Also I know on Grand Design trailers the factory pre wired the camera mount so power is always on. If you mount check with the mfg to see if its power all the time. If its a new install wire any way you want. If you are going to drill holes no big deal, just use RV silicon on the screws to keep them water tight.
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I'll show my ignorance here and ask...are the camera brackets always mounted with screws or can you use some sort of adhesive? I am guessing they are pretty light weight, just wondering. I could run a short wire for power to a clearance light as some of you have done.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came from the factory mounted just below the marker lights, using the marker lights as a power source
Bill and Joey the dog

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin camera mounted on bumper - works great. Bracket welded up from some scrap steel. Spare tire is under the trailer. Transmitter is mounted in cabinet above bed and wiring was run concealed in ceiling cavity and an interior wall at the rear.

They don't need to be mounted up high and exact mounting location doesn't matter much because the image can be adjusted during setup mode. Cars that have factory backup cameras have them at or near bumper height. The camera is nice to have but not as good as DW spotting when backing into a site.

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Furrion observation camera mounted by the middle light on the back of my trailer. It works great. You can see everything that is going on behind you. It was around $300 on ebay.
Good luck
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
I am thinking about getting a wireless rear view camera. Apex 249rb, overall length 28'. F150 CC

Suggestions for a good camera in my situation without breaking the bank?

You haven't told us the MY of your Apex but some of the newer Coachmen models are pre-wired to accept a Furrion Camera System ... not cheap, but I've seen one in operation and it works really well. You might want to ask your dealer if your particular trailer has this feature as it makes installation a 5 minute job. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the below wireless system on 3 different trailers. Like you I did not want to put anymore holes in the trailers than I had to. I tied into the clearance light power wires (even though it means I have to have the clearance lights on when traveling). Mounted above the clearance lights so no one tampers with the camera. The camera I purchased is the Voyager Digital Wireless Observation System WVOS511. It has a 5.6" monitor, 60ft signal, color, night vision and sound (so if someone is helping you back up you can hear what they say). Bought from RV Cams. I think somewhere in the $400 range. But you get what you pay for.
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine high, and ran the power through the bathroom vent. My viewer is in my GPS so I mounted a switch on the fan, it wouldn't interfere with the maps.