cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What was the biggest flub on a trip?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always set our items we're loading next to the RV door. On a Thanksgiving trip some years ago, for some inexplicable reason the cooler with the turkey and other refrigerator foods was set on the front stoop. About 150 miles down the road our neighbor called and said, "Did you forget something?"

He got a free turkey and food and we had to rustle Thanksgiving dinner from whatever we could find at a convenience store because all the grocery stores were closed. We did concoct a sausage and egg casserole that year that's become a regular menu item.

There's always a silver lining.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
59 REPLIES 59

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My only real mistake has been trying to visit places that are loved to death. I have been going to Sedona, AZ for 45 years, but will never go again.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Here's mine.In the past year I've been regularly venturing 3-4 hrs out on my motorcycle during the week around N Central Pa. and S.Central N.Y.(DW hasn't retired yet) for lunch, and always trying to find new back roads for the return trip. When we go on long weekends, I load the bikes in trailer and I show DW the newer twisties that I think she'd enjoy. Well,one trip we get up Fri. morning all pumped up for a nice ride only to realize the helmets are still on the shelf in the garage,duh. Luckily we were in Pa.(no helmet law),but we don't like riding without them so goggled nearest bike dealer and got two more.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Was trying to get on the road for a two week trip to Yellowstone. I got a very late start and got a couple hours rest at Wallyworld after driving all night. I got to the West Yellowstone KOA at 7 the next night, exhausted. All I wanted was food and sleep. I went to unhook the camper at the campsite and realized the key for new lock I had put on the trailer tongue was sitting on my dining room table at home.

Campground staff was great, they cut the lock off with bolt cutters. They had a small grill/restaurant that was closed for the day. Evidently they must of felt sorry for me they turned the grill back on and cooked me a burger and fries.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Here's mine. Last year we were staying at a very nice RV park in Houston. On our day to depart, we were running a little late. I was disconnecting things, putting things away, etc. Neighbor came over to ask questions about our rig. Said goodbye, got in the seat, lifted the jacks which is usually the last thing I do, and pulled out. Neighbor came running out flagging me down. I got distracted and forgot to pull the electrical cable out of the pedestal. Fortunately the cable reel peeled off cable so not damage done there but it ripped the water outlet out of the ground. Water pouring out of the broken fittings. I pulled my sewage hose out and funneled the water down into sewage connection but still had a flood going on. Site management showed up and had to go back and turn off the water to part of the park so I shut down a lot of people's water. Park staff was really nice. I volunteered to pay for all the damages, but they told me no problem. Said that was the cost of doing business. They only used PVC pipe and fittings so repairs were pretty easy but I still felt like a heel and really embarassed.
Learned to start my mental list over after getting distracted. Just hope I remember. LOL
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only mistakes we make usually are too many miles, say over 300.
And sometimes we go to places that are loved to death.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty diligent about using a checklist and updating it as needed. It drives my wife nuts that I refuse to mark anything off if I haven't actually put it in a vehicle, but I've been burned forgetting a grill, lawn chairs and lantern fuel at various times over the years.

Hiking trip in New England years ago we found out when we were a day and a half out we forgot alcohol for the stove.

Most disruptive was long ago going to Tennessee to camp and fish for a week at a friend's place. I realized I was low on cash. This was before ATMs and when many places didn't take credit cards. I could get gas with my CC, but otherwise I had to get by with $31 for the week after we bought out of state licenses. We didn't eat as well as we might otherwise have.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
First year we started camping I came home early from work so we could leave for the weekend.As I was hooking up the trailer to the truck my son was playing in the driveway,I disconnected the shore power cord and laid it off to the side.I finished getting everything ready to go got everybody in the truck and left.
150 miles later we were at the campground,it was July and was about 85 degrees and very humid.
Got the trailer backed in,leveled and disconnected from the truck.At this point I was soaking wet with sweat all I wanted was a cold beer and air conditioning.
I dropped the tailgate to get the cord,at that instant my world stopped.
I knew right where the cord was,still in the driveway where I left it.

I found a rv dealer about 30 miles away. That mistake cost me about 180 dollars till I bought the 50 amp adapter and a 30 amp cord,it was all they had.
It got me thru the weekend.
That cord is now stored in the trailer (always)
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
No big flubs - just little scars from "DUH!" moments - like Ed driving out of the RV garage with the side door open and the first thing it hit was the cam lock mounted on the garage door frame. Or the thin orange stripe along the RV sidewall from backing out and not watching where the basketball hoop was. Worst accident was demolishing the step on a street with zero shoulder, just curb ๐Ÿ˜ž Come to think of it - most times, if we were set up at a campground, we were home free....LOL!

But I have to admit that I had massive "lists" taped to the inside of the kitchen cabinet door. Mostly reminding me to NOT make some of the oops others have experienced
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Farm Camp wrote:
We somehow lost the remote control to our Television. We have a second tv that has the same remote and so had used that one for three years. I never could figure out where the original remote went. Three years. This year I was just finishing winterizing and closing up for the winter and pulled the sheets off our bed. Noticed the head end of the mattress on my side was raised up just a little.

Maybe you should change sheets more than once every three years. :B

LOL! I guess so!
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Farm Camp wrote:
We somehow lost the remote control to our Television. We have a second tv that has the same remote and so had used that one for three years. I never could figure out where the original remote went. Three years. This year I was just finishing winterizing and closing up for the winter and pulled the sheets off our bed. Noticed the head end of the mattress on my side was raised up just a little.

Maybe you should change sheets more than once every three years. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
We somehow lost the remote control to our Television. We have a second tv that has the same remote and so had used that one for three years. I never could figure out where the original remote went. Three years... This year I was just finishing winterizing and closing up for the winter and pulled the sheets off our bed. Noticed the head end of the mattress on my side was raised up just a little...
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Long weekend trip specifically to do some tubing in the little river that runs right through the campground. Got the camper set up in record time... Went to the camp store cause my little one wanted a slushy... Out front of the store I somehow managed to trip over a bike rack and did a epic face plant... Trip to ER, CAT scans, broken nose, stitches, pain meds... And... "No nature water for you". That was my wife's first ever time driving the F250 as well. Good times. :). My kids now warn me of any bike rack within 100 yards. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
About the worst I can think of is showing up at a CG thinking I have reservations only to find out I;m off by a night or 2. Some of the long trips we've been taking can get a bit confusing.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
#1: Trusted that the manufacturer had sent a trailer with grease in the bearings. A bearing failure in the middle of June in Arizona could have been a huge deal.

#2: Didn't realize I had to grease the weight distribution bar. Middle of nowhere New Mexico the bar fell out of the bracket. Luckily attached by chain still. Could have had a 20 pound iron bar flying off on the highway.

Something tells me these two will be replaced by greater ones someday. ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you all realize how good this thread has made me feel.

I have not done anything like those related. (Today....)

I always do a full walk-around. (Except the times I get distracted.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.