cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What was BrakeBuddy thinking

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Brake buddy since 2009. (came with our used rv)Unit was great. Never had a battery problem but it finally had its day. Last winter we traded up for the Vantage Select. BB had a great loyalty program. Used it for two trips and it was great. The next fall we purchased a 13 Fusion Hybrid. Started looking for a plate for it and by luck found out that the Vantage won't work for hybrids. Called to verify that and it will not work.
They said the Stealth model the only one that will work....... but it will not work on our Ford Ranger. They had a model. Vantage Select Boost that worked on both brake systems. Nope, not available.
Wow, in my opinion, BB really dropped the ball. An employee said that rumor has it they were working on a combination unit. But no word on when.
So, now what? It's silly to get the Stealth with their loyalty program because I have to return the Vantage. Then I have no brake system for our Ranger.
Looks like BB has lost a long time customer because there are a few companies that do make combination products.
Anybody else in this predicament?
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide
8 REPLIES 8

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would get rid of the Brake Buddy and get a ReadyBrake system.
Oh, wait, I take that back; I would not have to get rid of the BB, because I would never have bought/used one in the first place.
Yeah, I'm narrow minded.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/brakebuddy-Vantage-Select

Click on common questions - it's as plain as day - in bold letters. Took one web search to get that info.

It even gave you a phone number to call if you had questions. Sounds like you finally did after you posted. They solved your problem. Good for them.

Noooooo, the problem has not been solved. Apparently, there are so many variations with hybrids that endless pre purchase research and the common questions in bold print that you mentioned did not nor could not solve the problem.
Long story short, at this time, BB does not have a product that is appropriate for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid.
It guess the situation is not "plain as day".
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

et2
Explorer
Explorer
delete

et2
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/brakebuddy-Vantage-Select

Click on common questions - it's as plain as day - in bold letters. Took one web search to get that info.

It even gave you a phone number to call if you had questions. Sounds like you finally did after you posted. They solved your problem. Good for them.

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Not sure why it's Brake Buddy's fault you failed to do a little research ahead of time. Sell it on Ebay and use the money to buy something you can use. It reminds me of stories of people buying new cars and later finding our they can't be flat towed four down.

It wouldn't stop me from buying them. Have one that worked on our last two cars. But I knew they would. If not I'd be looking elsewhere too. But I wouldn't throw Brake Buddy under the bus.

Darn, Ml(?) did get under my skin. I forgot to mention how after corresponding with BB they did recognize the situation and offered the Stealth and a very fair price and I will keep the Vantage so we can tow the Ranger.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Not sure why it's Brake Buddy's fault you failed to do a little research ahead of time. Sell it on Ebay and use the money to buy something you can use. It reminds me of stories of people buying new cars and later finding our they can't be flat towed four down.

It wouldn't stop me from buying them. Have one that worked on our last two cars. But I knew they would. If not I'd be looking elsewhere too. But I wouldn't throw Brake Buddy under the bus.

No,I don't think so. Not even close to buying a car to find it can't be flat towed.
I think that there are quite a few of us that would've easily missed the fact that the Vantage Select does not work on Hybrids because they have a special brake system..There are enough Hybrids out there that the Vantage description should have included big bold print about hybrids. Fact is some said that it would work on the very lowest pressure setting which is not true. Of course we may not be as smart as you are.
Also, the BB that does work on hybrids is installed in the vehicle and can not be used on any other brake systems. Actually it is not portable at all.
So I'll repeat my original question. "What was Brake Buddy thinking".
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
agree with et2. Dick

et2
Explorer
Explorer