cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to buy??????

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I am by no means a newby, but at the same time, I am.
Over the years I have owned a few TT's, the most recent 7 years ago, and used as temp housing while I built my house. A class C holiday rambler which I only had a couple seasons before work forced me to let it go. (it sat parked for 2 years), and even a tc (lance model which I had for a year when someone gave it to me because they had to move cross country). I dont want a 5er because I want to ride my scooters. I can get a new truck and tt, or a motorhome and pull my suv and scoot.
But now, I cant decide what I want.
I have wanderlust, I want to travel again. I went blind 4 years ago, and after 5 surgeries can see enough to drive again and want to experience as much as I can before losing it again.

I can reasonably afford to get any type of rig, Type, not brand. I started looking at TT's with the Dutchmen Denali 29 rk seeming like a good fit space wise. A flagstaff 29RK did as well, with a new 2500 series 4x4 pickup.
Or I can get either a new or mildly used motorhome, Class A or C in the 30-32' range. Holiday Ramblers, Jayco's and Forest River all have units which can apparently suffice.
We want to travel a lot the first few years, Alaska at least once, likely twice, I worked the Valdez spill and want to return to some sites I saw years ago. Winters we will go south to the deserts.
I am retired Coast Guard so I can use the Famcamps and will for much of the winters. After Ak, the Yukon will get the same treatment, with the Dempster getting at least one summer.
I have never camped or wandered the western states, I want the flexiblilty to enter the BLM lands and to stay where possible , and to move 100 miles and do it again.
I'm envisioning 2 weeks at a general area, and then moving a relatively short distance to again find my bit of "nowhere".

Tiny trailers of 20' feet will not work, we need space for full time living, roughly a 30' box,
we have looked hard at TT's generally 29-34 foot rear kitchen models,
Class C units around 30' (Jayco and Forester) as well as class A's Jayco, HR and Coachmen, I am comfortable with towing or driving a bigger box, after years pulling boats and driving firefighter apparatus, but I dont know which will be more flexible in the western mountains and BLM lands for site selection.

My question is to those out there, if you were trying to travel extensively in those areas, what class and type would be the easiest to live in and travel for modestly priced travel.
4x4 truck and 30' tt
30- 35' Class A pulling a tacoma or similar
29- 32 ' Class C again pulling a tacoma or similar
What will give you the most freedom to roam?
The greatest ability to find beautiful bits of nowhere.
8 REPLIES 8

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The one thing I would recommend is to get something that your wife will be comfortable driving. With your eye problems there may come a time where you'll have vision issues and she'll have to drive. Hopefully not though.

Sadly her vision is now a problem, detached vitreous membrane, lots of floaters, eventually the retina will go and they will have to cut on her too.

I built a lake house 15 years ago, am selling it and we will go for as long as we can, find a small piece of dirt somewhere buy a tiny cottage type home as a base, and roll till our wheels fall off.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing I would recommend is to get something that your wife will be comfortable driving. With your eye problems there may come a time where you'll have vision issues and she'll have to drive. Hopefully not though.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
What about a toy hauler and put your scoots in the back?

First kerrlakeroo, that's an incredible story. Yes, it's time to go enjoy life!
I think about this a bunch for fun (I'm 45 so won't even have the kids out of the house for another 7 years minimum, lol!)

Wow don't take this the wrong way but after reading so many of your posts I always thought you were a lot older.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ron3rd wrote:

First kerrlakeroo, that's an incredible story. Yes, it's time to go enjoy life!
I think about this a bunch for fun (I'm 45 so won't even have the kids out of the house for another 7 years minimum, lol!)

Honestly it's a horse a piece. A 30' + moho with toad won't be any more maneuverable on forest roads than a 30' TT with a truck. Both will allow you the capability to drop the house somewhere and get further in the back country with the truck or bikes.
Lotsa road miles makes me lean real hard towards a diesel, which means pickup and TT, but if you're not opposed to older, then there are great values on diesel pushers. If newer then diesel mohos are pretty steep.
Since I like my toys, I'd probably lean hard towards a toyhauler either TT or 5ver and pickup.
Of course I have trouble getting over the maneuverability of a TC for back country stuff.
One of the big advantages of a moho and toad is you always have a capable plan b if one of the rigs quits running.

Whatever you choose, may the wind and sun be at your back!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

No problem. Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You Coasties are so....particular! Seriously, come visit us. We welcome you camping and exploring US 395 and CA 1 in our state.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
this tablet again blinked back, please relocate to general rv issues.