cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do with ash/coals ?

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping for years, and have never had this issue to worry about. Most places that we have been at offer fire rings. But, a few places do not. We stayed at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving for a long weekend. We took or washing machine drum for our fire pit since Ocean Lakes does not provide fire pits, but does allow fires.

My question is what is the proper etiquette to dispose of ash/cool ember pieces when loading up the fire pit? Does anyone know? No one in our group had any idea.

We place made hosed the ash/hot embers down really well before loading up and dumped next to the road with the trash. This seemed like an okay thing to do, but really had me wondering if that is what we should have done.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper
19 REPLIES 19

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
Actually, I dump the ash across the yard at home. It is good for the soil.

I dumped it with out bag of trash in a pile next to the road. The campground staff does come daily to pick up trash from campers. I will get some large trash bags atleast to use next time.

We use the ashes from our home fireplace in the flower beds. It's excellent free fertilizer. I've never camped at a campground that didn't have a fire ring, or that asked people to remove ashes ... Just not a common thing at state parks in the midwest I suppose.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
When I am home I just spread the ashes from my fireplace in my garden, they are good for the soil. I would ask the campground what they want you to do with them.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
phil-t wrote:
Dumping ashes and/or coals in a dumpster will eventually bring trouble. No way anyone providing that dumpster would approve of such action. If at a campground, ask the management, if in the wilderness, ask a ranger.
If you can't figure out what to do with the ashes/coals, don't start the fire in the first place.

ok, i'll bite. why?

If you can't figure out "why"; you evidently have never seen the fire department putting out a dumpster fire !

Guy

dedmiston
rk911 wrote:
phil-t wrote:
Dumping ashes and/or coals in a dumpster will eventually bring trouble. No way anyone providing that dumpster would approve of such action. If at a campground, ask the management, if in the wilderness, ask a ranger.
If you can't figure out what to do with the ashes/coals, don't start the fire in the first place.

ok, i'll bite. why?

Worst case scenario: The coals looked like they were fully extinguished, but they weren't, so you just started a dumpster fire. Or for bonus points, the coals don't ignite in the dumpster, but they do in the truck and catch the whole trash truck on fire.

Best case scenario: The coals don't start a fire, but they are either wet and make a big gunky mess inside the dumpster or they're dry and the ashes make a big gray cloud when the dumpster is emptied into the trash truck.

If there isn't a specific ash can to dump our ashes, we keep them in our portable pit and dump them in the next spot or in the wild if we're boondocking.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Walaby wrote:
I put the fire out at the end of the night, then next morning dump ashes into a trashbag and take to the dumpster.

Never thought about doing it any other way.

Mike

Exactly^^^^

I use a Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal BBQ for grilling
Fill it up with briquettes, place lid back on when done grilling....add more as needed then last night I leave lid off and let them burn down to ash
Next morning dump in trashbag and place in dumpster with rest of our trash

I would NOT even consider just dumping then next to roadway

Don't do it at home...why do it at CG????

I hope you also use some water to make sure the coals are out. I also let them burn down to ash the last night, but there are many mornings I can still find a hot coal or two down among the ashes. So if I just dump them in a trash bag and put it in the dumpster there's a good chance there's going to be a dumpster fire.
No I don't really enjoy stirring my fingers into last nights fire ash even knowing there is only wood and nothing else in there. But I am amazed at how many times I find that a fire is still warm w=en it looks completely out.

I know your comment was meant for Old Biscuit, but thought I'd respond to quote anyways. I learned from my dad as a 10 year old boy the need to fully extinguish your campfire before going to bed. Same goes for coals in your BBQ grill. Im betting Old Biscuit knows and does the same.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Walaby wrote:
I put the fire out at the end of the night, then next morning dump ashes into a trashbag and take to the dumpster.

Mike

Exactly^^^^

Fill it up with briquettes, place lid back on when done grilling....add more as needed then last night I leave lid off and let them burn down to ash

I hope you also use some water to make sure the coals are out. I also let them burn down to ash the last night, but there are many mornings I can still find a hot coal or two down among the ashes. So if I just dump them in a trash bag and put it in the dumpster there's a good chance there's going to be a dumpster fire.
No I don't really enjoy stirring my fingers into last nights fire ash even knowing there is only wood and nothing else in there. But I am amazed at how many times I find that a fire is still warm w=en it looks completely out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

Mike

Thats what i would do, but you can always call the CG office and see what they prefer.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Walaby wrote:

Mike

Exactly^^^^

Actually, I dump the ash across the yard at home. It is good for the soil.

I dumped it with out bag of trash in a pile next to the road. The campground staff does come daily to pick up trash from campers. I will get some large trash bags atleast to use next time.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Those words need to be heard by a LOT of new campers!

I do it at home, not so much next to the road but in the yard. 18 years and roughly 2 full cords of wood per year.

So can I do it in the CG?
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is zero doubt with my ashes that they are stone cold, wet and won't start anything.

Can't speak for anyone else though....

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:

ok, i'll bite. why?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dedmiston
In a regular year, the etiquette and safety are pretty straightforward.

This year though, who knows anymore?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Allegro 36LA

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Those words need to be heard by a LOT of new campers!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L