cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whaddaya gonna do?

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been planning our 6 week spring trip pulling the AF25R with the Chev 2500hd (6.0 gasser) from home in. CA to Utah,NM, and southern Colorado. Planning to hit the road end of March.

Wow! Now I’m not so sure. >$5.00 a gallon regular gas at 8mpg. Hmmmm, I can afford it but worry about a supply disruption at the pump and getting stranded. This situation with RUS-UKR doesn’t bode well. What unintended consequences could could ensue? What are you all doing these days? Going for it anyway? Or sitting this one out?
25 REPLIES 25

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2022 season all booked and we are going.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
It is SNAFU. 20 & 21 it was Covid. Now Ukraine. Down here on the farm, what can we do? About the best we can do is carry on as best we can normally.

You might want to adopt the fuel strategy of driving in the north where fuel stations are few & far between & not guaranteed to be open. Drive on the top half of your tank. When you get to half fill up at the next available supply.

If I did that while towing I'd be stopping every 80-90 miles, not going to happen. Heck stopping every ~170 miles sucks and why my next truck will be a diesel with an extended or Titan tank so I can go 600 miles towing without filling up. I might start carrying a 5 gallon fuel can with me like I did when traveling out West but that's as much as I'm going to change my habits. As far as safety, I don't think 5 gallons of gas in the bed is much additional hazard over the 40 pounds of propane and 7,000 pounds of anchor I'm already carrying.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Whangler wrote:
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. I’ve decided to stop worrying about supply disruptions and just carry on as planned. Wondering if maybe places will be less crowded.
Best,
David

I’m not sure if there might be an opposite effect. People may stay at their site longer to save on fuel costs (just thinking). If the RV park permits it, many may opt to stay semi permanently, especially if they have a source of income (SS for example). That may become a necessity as the current world systems continue to crash.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you! I am telling everyone that will listen to get busy and do whatever it is that is on your personal bucket list. Putting things off until all the stars are lined up just right may never happen in the uncertain future we all face. Get on with it, whatever your “it” is.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. I’ve decided to stop worrying about supply disruptions and just carry on as planned. Wondering if maybe places will be less crowded.
Best,
David

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
The only supply disruptions are a result of PANIC buying, just like toilet paper at the start of COVID.

I don't think this is about disruption, it is about obscene price increases.

(And for the record, I didn't like the TP supply shortage either)

:B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only supply disruptions are a result of PANIC buying, just like toilet paper at the start of COVID.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is SNAFU. 20 & 21 it was Covid. Now Ukraine. Down here on the farm, what can we do? About the best we can do is carry on as best we can normally.

You might want to adopt the fuel strategy of driving in the north where fuel stations are few & far between & not guaranteed to be open. Drive on the top half of your tank. When you get to half fill up at the next available supply.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I don't even look at the price. If I want to go I got to buy fuel and I am rolling out in 2 days. I worked hard to have enough to play now and I intend to play. Every thing I have is paid for, everything!

X2

X3. That being said, I tell DW “we have money for anything we want but not for everything we want”.

Seriously gas prices now just have to be folded into our priority mix just like everything else. In my 76 yr life experience I have found our #1&2 priority’s get funded, lower than that maybe not.

Our priority list shifted last Dec when we decided we had see all fifty states to our satisfaction and sold our motorhome. Now international travel is more our thing. We all have different and changing priorities as we go thru life.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
At this point I expect no significant supply disruptions.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at it this way: You're not spending your money, you're spending your heirs money.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Imagine being a trucker......a buck and a half a mile for fuel and DEF alone.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Only 1% of US oil imports are from Russia, so the ban is more symbolic than effective. You won't see any supply disruptions due to that.

The direct economic effect, however, is another matter. The price rises you are seeing are due to market panic and oil company greed. It is worth noting that oil company profits are at record levels. THEY aren't hurting one bit, WE are. Robert Reich has pointed to the approach the Europeans seem to be taking: impose a windfall profits tax on the oil companies. They want to price gouge? Fine, they can fork over all that extra money to the government and do their share helping pay off the national debt. Done right, it would remove their incentive to jack those prices up sky high on the rest of us.

As for our travel pans this year, yeah, $4+ diesel fuel prices are going to hurt. That makes leaving the TT home and staying at motels more attractive. I get 14 mpg towing and 28 mpg without the trailer. On a 400 mile day's drive, that's $64 extra dollars in fuel (give or take a bit). That atop a campground fee makes a guy think about the options.

But we are planning on going . . .

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here we are traveling this summer,booked our campsites 6 months out. My truck gets 9 miles to the gallon pulling the trailer so its going to hurt filling up but you can't take it with you so enjoy.