cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We got bees nesting in undercarriage.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
While working on my slideouts the other day I noticed one after another bees arriving, and crawling into a small slit between the coroplast and the frame. I have no idea how to discourage them from entering and riding along with us on our next trip. They are not normal honeybees either, they are larger and colored black and yellow. Almost like a small bumblebee. I guess I could transport them to our next stop but that group of people might not appreciate them either. I would like them to hitch a ride some other way or stay home. Any suggestions?
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)
19 REPLIES 19

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
I had a similar issue this year. I put my slides out and the air was suddenly filled with wasps. I gave them about an hour to settle down and then located the nest on the frame and sprayed it with wasp spray. I noticed them on the other side of my coach, too. I haven't been able to locate the second nest, though.

Those ground type wasps make 2 entrance /exit holes, I parked a tractor on one of the holes I was getting (in fact got) stung badly, jumped off the tractor and ran, then remembered the darn tractor was still running and had to run back into the melee to turn the tractor off. Our way which always is to mark hole, wait until dark when they are all on the nest, then pour a cocoa cola bottle of gasoline in the hole, the fumes destroy the whole nest instantly. Good Luck and Happy camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
I use a Shop Vac with a long hose extender to rid unwanted nesting.

a spray that seems to work well is MEAN GREEN Dollar General has it really cheap, (about $1.00 a spray bottle large 1 gal refill bottle is $3.00) it kills the ants on contact and destroys the trail they leave, try spraying really well around anything on the RV that touches the ground. Good luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I like the vacuum at the entrance idea! Thanks.

I have used a propane torch with great success on "paper" wasp nests out in the open. I hold the flame on the entrance until the whole nest is ash. Never had one escape but beware of returning wasps. A cool morning is the best time to avoid them.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
You can spray Sevin dust. You will need to find a spray gun for powder.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheel hitches are a common favorite of bees and other flying insects. I like fresh honey, but not that much!

I once had a problem with ants crawling up our camper jacks. They were going after sap that dripped on our slide topper. Someone suggested putting a small bead of grease around the bottom of each jack. This quickly ended the problem.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
If they are to be killed, you might try to find an insecticide in the form of a dust. The idea is to dust the entrance hole, so dust attaches to their bodies as the slip past...they carry deadly dust all the way to the nest.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:

What he said, depending on where the nest really is, just spraying pesticide at the hole won't get to the nest. Plus you're spraying poison into your living quarters. Set up a shop vac at the entrance to the hole, as they leave the nest, they get sucked into the vac. The ones that are out of the nest get sucked in when they return. In a couple days there's no food coming into the nest, they start leaving, and get sucked into the vac. I usually put about an inch of water in the bottom of the vac to drown them.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
red wasps built a nest in my coupler , they don't make a good ball lube and tend to get peeved at you for mashing their nest, wasp spray took care of the problem

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Guess I am in big trouble haha... We usually camp at LAKEWOOD SC every year for small family get-together.

They have those real small sand ants there and boy do I get loaded down with them... Tried everything to keep them out of my small trailer...

When we leave there we head for Gatlinburg TN on our way back back home to spend a few nights in our most favorite place being ELKMONT Camp inside the Smoky Natl Park...

Needless to say we have deal with all the ants when we setup... They are everywhere and in everything... Even my truck gets them inside the truck haha...

I'm sure I have transported this species from SC to TN for many years... I'm probably the reason for all the trees dying off on the high country places...

Roy Ken

Try using food grade diatomaceous earth on the tiny ants. If you "draw" a line around your truck and camper, they will get caught up in it and either leave or die.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If 'Honeybee' contact local beekeepers and SAVE the hive.

Other species.....
DIY with wasp sprays or hire exterminator that gets paid to be stung.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they look like a bumble bee perhaps they are carpenter bees. (which is not a good thing...) They like to bore holes in unpainted wood. I'd spray foaming wasp spray into the slit, then seal it up. If they die in there it's no big deal.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess I am in big trouble haha... We usually camp at LAKEWOOD SC every year for small family get-together.

They have those real small sand ants there and boy do I get loaded down with them... Tried everything to keep them out of my small trailer...

When we leave there we head for Gatlinburg TN on our way back back home to spend a few nights in our most favorite place being ELKMONT Camp inside the Smoky Natl Park...

Needless to say we have deal with all the ants when we setup... They are everywhere and in everything... Even my truck gets them inside the truck haha...

I'm sure I have transported this species from SC to TN for many years... I'm probably the reason for all the trees dying off on the high country places...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Wasp spray. Put the nozzle inside the hole. Dress apropriately and try to do it when it's the coolest part of the day. It happens
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)