cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDH Upgrade Advice

DLHarrison
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning - I need some advice concerning a WDH. I currently have a Fastway E2 WDH that is rated at a tongue weight of 600 pounds and a trailer weight of 6,000 pounds. I previously used that hitch on a hybrid trailer. I traded the hybrid in on a heavier travel trailer which has the following weights - hitch weight of 464 pounds and a trailer weight of 5,048 pounds dry. I am looking running the trailer at a weight of 6,000 pounds (there are two of us plus our dog). Would it be advisable of purchasing the next higher WDH, which has a tongue weight of 800 pounds and a maximum trailer weight of 8,000 pounds or could I keep the existing WDH?

Thanks for your advice.
2 REPLIES 2

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
I'd imagine it would depend on what your tow vehicle was and how much you really need (care) to transfer hitch weight to the front axle. If you are towing with say a F-250/F-350 diesel SRW or the like, which should have a good amount of payload capacity, you could prob just say F it and be fine with what you have already.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact Fastway or etrailer.com to see if you can just change the bars (from 600 to 800). The hitch head is probably the same for a 600 or 800 lb tongue weight.

etrailer carries a set of 800 lb bars for 156.00
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)