cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Way too much fun in Quartzite

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just returned from your 5th consecutive annual trip to Quartzite. We had even more fun than the previous trips, which was hard to do. Permit me to share a few tips that have worked well for us.

Timing: Every year we drive over on the Monday morning following the opening weekend. We are lucky to be just 250 miles away so 4.5 hours makes for an easy drive. The usually huge opening weekend crowd is thinning out and you can find a spot just about anywhere.

Location: While we stayed out on the BLM land at Sadden Wash when we had our TT, utilizing the truck to drive into town where we always found plenty of parking, now with our Class C we have spent the last three years at the Rice Ranch RV Park. Now the term RV Park is a bit of a stretch... just a dirt/gravel lot where full hook ups go for $35 a night but we prefer to dry camp for $7 a night ($15.85 including tax for two nights). By their own admission the one and only thing they have going is "location" as they are on the southeast corner of Kuehn and 95 making the big tent a short walk of just a few hundred yards.

We fired up our trusty Campfire in a can and soon had 4 neighbors joining us on both nights. The weather was spectacular with highs around 68 - lows around 46. You can still get a great breakfast at Bad Boys Cafe but by 0800 the line was out the door. Selling a good cup of coffee for 25 cents will do that. You can also get a cup of joe for a quarter next door at The Sweet Shop and try their cinnamon rolls for $3.75

Moderation: Everyone there is mellow but we find that after 2 days and nights we have seen all there is to see, completed our shopping and enjoyed a couple of afternoon brewskis at Beer Belly's Adult Care and it is time to get on down the road. We usually head up towards Lake Havesu but his year had commitments back home so we cut this trip shorter than most.

Nothing but nice folks: In five years we have never even seen an armed member of the law enforcement community (through I am told La Paz County Sheriff's have a large undercover presence to keep an eye on things) nor have we ever seen the need. Everyone is friendly and polite, no harsh words or even loud voices to be found. About half of the folks there have their dog(s) with them and even the pooches are on their best behavior.

The Big Tent: Seemed less congested than past years with a larger percentage of actual RV related items. Going shortly after 9 (when it opens), seems to be an ideal time in terms of the crowd but by mid afternoon things usually thin out as well.

Said before and will say it again... everyone should go to Quartzite at least once. For many that will be enough but rest assured we will be back for all the fun again next year.

:B
47 REPLIES 47

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
I think next year I may try and post a spot up on Plomosa RD where forum members we chat with can either camp or stop in for a visit. I've never been up to Plomosa Rd as we have always stayed in La Posa West within walking distance of the big tent.
Anyone interested?

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious how a first time boon docking visitor can comfortably become involved with some of the groups without knowing anyone specifically, or feeling they are intruding. Comfort levels of just going up and introducing oneself to an already established group comes to mind.

Just wondering, as I can imagine if you don't get involved with the various forum/model/interest type groups it could maybe leave less than good experience for a newbie?

Look forward to reading how you got involved as a newbie into the various groups from initially not maybe knowing anyone.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
Quartzite is on my Bucket List, perhaps in 2017. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Still trying to figure out the desert camping. Have been reading about it.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We did go to Quartz once. We have been RVers for about 15 years and full time RVers for 8 years. Have met many wonderful people.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
"I took her to the book store without telling her what to expect. She didn't want to have her picture taken with the owner, though."

Sounds like Sweet Pea is still alive & kicking! Did he play her a boogie tune or two?

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I don't imagine many 16 year old girls want to see a 99.9 percent naked, leathery skinny old man. No more than the teenage me would have wanted to see the equivalent woman. "My eyes, my eyes!!!!"
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to go to the show and visit the shops and swap meets and all the really fun stuff so off we went, before we left the DW asked the youngest daughter and her 16 yo daughter to come on down. I love the tool sellers and some others we've seen over the years, I can always find something I can't live without. This year it was a set of hole punches.

Now the fun part, our DGD is 16 as stated above and loves bookstores. We told her about the one in "Q" and she had to go, FOR THE BOOKS, not curiosity. Well it was funny, as soon as she saw the owner, she looked at the ground. He really is a nice guy and seeing her so embarrassed but really looking for books, he put on a robe and let a really nice lady take care of the DGD. All my DGD could say was, "boy does he have leathery skin".

I can not verify the number of people there during the RV show and the Pow Wow but the claim is that there are a million people in attendance. What I can verify is my DW said the desert is covered with white boxes on wheels. As you drive around, the more colorful ones fade into the background and the bright white ones stand out.

A couple of years ago a guy made a video with aerial views as well as ground views. He sent we a copy and I love to show non-RVers the gathering.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
Sbnowman9000, next year we can try to get the group to meet at Plomosa RD. We can post coordinates.

I think that's a good idea. Something like we will be around x,y coordinates, look for the blue ballons on a stake. I don't think it has to be any more organized than that. Oh, and someone bring firewood. ๐Ÿ™‚

We won't be able to commit to anything till last minute, so I can't be an organizer. (We live 2000 miles away.)

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Sbnowman9000, next year we can try to get the group to meet at Plomosa RD. We can post coordinates.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Q for the first time this year. We dry camped at Rice Ranch, which works out perfect for the Big Tent area. After a couple of days of walking around there, we spent a day roaming the Main Street markets. My wife couldn't get over the mounds o' necklaces at the one market. Literally mounds of them.

We bought some stuff. Probably will never use it, and sell it in a few years for pennies at a garage sale. ๐Ÿ™‚

I took her to the book store without telling her what to expect. She didn't want to have her picture taken with the owner, though.

Finally, we camped at the free 14 day BLM section out on La Posa Rd north of town for 2 or 3 nights. It was fine but it'd be better if we knew others out there. We both feel we would go back to Q again.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to hear about anyone ATVing out there. Been thinking of visiting Q for past few years but ATVing would have to be part of the experience. Especially would like comparison to riding the mountains around Richfield/Marysvale Utah.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The OP did a commendable job in his post of giving some info, but is clearly writing for an audience of those who already know Q'site."

OP here (again)..

Actually my post was largely intended for those who have not been to the Q. I tried to share a few things that work for us that first timers might want to adopt. If we had had any negative experiences I would have been happy to share them as well but happily we did (and have not), had any. Perhaps the fact that we find 2 days and nights enough each year (see my reference to "moderation" in the original post), is the secret to our success. :h

The Q is a truly unique experience and certainly not for everyone but I stand by my opinion that everyone should visit the Q at least once and can then form their own opinions. If on your first visit you find it not to your liking... well most of us have those round things on our rigs that will take you right on down the road.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Homer wrote:
Now this is way RV.net used to be all the time, just good post and pleasant conversation, informative and civil. Lets bring it back.

I understand your longing for the "good old days" I am not sure they ever really existed any more than the scenes in a Norman Rockwell Painting even on RV.net.

I personally find threads like this boring, lacking in information and little more than cheerleading. I for one would like to hear a real discussion of Q'site from different perspectives. I value differences of opinion and intellectual stimulation over sweet talk any day. (not that a discussion of Q'site is in itself highly intellectually stimulating)

I'd like to hear BOTH sides, the good and the bad about Quartsite and this annual gathering. I'd like some hard information. And importantly Background.

The OP did a commendable job in his post of giving some info, but is clearly writing for an audience of those who already know Q'site.

You can be civil and polite AND disagree and speak your mind about an issue. That to me would be better than cheerleading.

I keep reading about Qsite and having driven through there several times, I keep wondering why anyone would spend time there...I am interested to find out more. and so I keep reading posts about Q'site.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
junmy3 wrote:
DW and I have been causally talking about coming out there someday. Just saw the post asking about a geocache. I went to the geocaching site and saw how many caches are in the area. Now we need to do more than just talk about it.

You are welcome! Even though we passed through the area, we didn't do any geocaching in Quartzsite; but we did in Los Algodones and Lake Havasu City. Now we are chomping at the bit to get back down there!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L