cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vultures!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Did you know that vultures can be the enemy of your RV and your tow vehicle? This came as news to me in a recent visit to the Everglades. I first heard about it when I was reading reviews of the campground at the Flamingo area. A camper had written that while he was camped there, vultures had attacked the rubber seals on his truck. He said it was so bad they had to leave. This was a negative review of the campground. It was so outlandish that I sort of dismissed it. Sometimes people will write just about anything if they are in the mood to write a negative review. I tend to filter things like that pretty critically.

Then, a couple days later, I was at the Royal Palm Visitor's Center. I was reading a display that the park service had put up. It was about the vultures. They attacked my rig, but I"m ok now.

Who knew?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
19 REPLIES 19

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Shooting them is a federal and state offense as they are protected species.

However air and propane cannons are used at airports and dumps to drive birds away.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BANG!

_____kin birds!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
So help me here, what is the reason they are doing this? I know, they aren't saying. Do they think it is a food source? Does it digest? Is it deadly? Does it bounce when they poop? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Saw those vultures when we camped in the everglades but they did not hurt the MH. I camp several times a year on the beach and seagulls drop mussels on the roof to crack them open then they **** all over it and make a mess.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
older_fossil wrote:
We visited the Everglades last month. No problems with the vultures camping at the Flamingo campground, but they are still a problem at the Royal Palm vistor's center. Below is a picture of the vultures doing their thing. Note the tarp on one car. The NPS still provides tarps and bungees for visitor use there.

Art

I'm sure those are the very ones that got after my stuff. I don't travel with a ladder, so until I was able to borrow one to check things over, I was nervous that they had compromised my roof. Fortunately, there was no evident damage.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Those look like black headed vultures. Turkey Vultures have red heads. Black headed vultures have been known to attack and kill young livestock while Turkey Vultures will kill nothing. I have a pair of Turkey Vultures nesting in an old chicken house on my property and have studied up on them. Very interesting birds. They are protected by law so you can't really do anything to disturb them. I kind of like them.....
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Jekyll Island Campground has signs warning about Woodpeckers and side view mirrors. They recommend covering all mirrors.

That's crazy about the vultures. Are those folks carrying animal carcasses in their car/trucks/RVs?

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
We visited the Everglades last month. No problems with the vultures camping at the Flamingo campground, but they are still a problem at the Royal Palm vistor's center. Below is a picture of the vultures doing their thing. Note the tarp on one car. The NPS still provides tarps and bungees for visitor use there.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Birds will imitate behaviors from other birds in their flock. It doesn't take long for the flock to learn a new behavior. Ravens and blackbirds seem to be very fast learners but vultures also have a strong sense of "community unity" and are opportunists to a great degree.
On the farm, we had to remove a flock of domestic geese as they wouldn't stop trimming the wires off the trucks and cars. They were a pain, within a few weeks all the vehicles needed new rear brake light or license plate wiring.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of them ripping the rubber strips off of windshield wipers too.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I vaguely recall reading that some rubber weather seals smells (to them) like rotting carcass.
-jbh-

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I had an experience with Turkey vultures out on Orcas Island here in the north puget sound, I was on my way back to the mainland sitting in the ferry line up. There was a two hour wait for the next boat and a lot of people will park in line and go sightseeing, I was sitting in my work truck and all of a sudden this huge turkey vulture swooped in and landed on a car that was about 20' ahead of me.

It was hanging onto the top of the drivers door with its talons into the crack, you could hear it scratching the car, it sat there for a minute or so looking like it was drunk with its head kind of weaving around looking like it didn't feel so well. All of a sudden it puked its lunch on the car roof, it looked like a bloody carcass. It sat there for another minute or so and then flew off, it was about this time that the smell hit.

There were a few people that had seen this happen and one guy went over to the car and tried to get the gooey mess off the car, he was just finishing up pouring a bottled water over the roof trying to get it off before it started to eat the paint when the owner came back. I think the funniest part was watching the guy try to explain what had happened and what he was doing to his car, waiving his arms like a big bird with the car owner staring in disbelief.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I was in FL driving a class 8 and woke to knocking on the windshield. I throw open the curtain to find a pelican eating bugs the window.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The Kias(alpine parrots not cars) on South Island, NZ, will rip off the rubber wiper blades from cars. Birds can be weird fellows.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II