cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viair 12volt compressor

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Back during the summer I purchased a 12 volt Viair air compressor I had an occasion to use it to fill 4 bicycle tires......I am not sure I like the way the air chucks work. The compressed air comes out until you get it firmly on the stem then the air blows by as the tire stem it is inflating. I tried all the different chucks that came with it. I am wondering if they were designed to work that way to protect the pump. I cannot imagine how long it would take to pump up an rv tire that needs 110 psi of air pressure.
6 REPLIES 6

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of replacing the chucks with the ones on my home air compressor........

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My 88P Viair has a screw-on attachment. Very secure and it does not let air blow by.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a built in vlair compressor and 2.5 gallon tank in my ram. I installed it inside my toolbox with the air hose receiver on the outside of the box. It's saved my bacon many many times. It's not fast, but it works.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Viair makes a top notch compressor but their tire inflator guns are junk. I bought one of their guns (and hose) and besides being lousy quality, it leaked out of the box so returned it. Wasn't impressed with the curly hose either and it went back too.

The 300P and up models have the design set up so the hose/compressor won't stay pressurized (in some models) when the hose is disconnected and the quick connect fitting at the compressor is a male type, the reverse of "normal" compressors. They also use a goofy kind of fitting on one end of the hose too.

The inflator guns can only be used if you have a tank or automatic compressor model with built-in pressure switch so are talking about a Viair pistol grip inflator gun like in 2nd pic? Or maybe a lower & slower rated models with locking style chuck like the 84P (as in last pic)? The 3rd pic is a cheapo, dime a dozen, inflator gun on ebay for under $10 (incl. shipping). Notice how similar they look. Viair does not list the accuracy of their gauge either. A good quality inflator gun with digital gauge like a Longacre, Joes Racing, Snapon, Intercomp, etc. are in the $100 - $400 range!

I really wanted a pistol grip style gun at first but eventually gave up looking after seeing the prices. I have a 300P model Viair compressor and installed a Viair pressure switch inside the end cover, a gauge and a female quick connect fitting to make it automatic. Ends up being basically a 450P model. Then I bought a super-flexible 1/4" poly hose and added a male fitting, a standard tire chuck and thumb operated pressure release valve. The valve is needed to release air pressure so the comp. doesn't get stored away with the head pressurized. Then I just use an ordinary handheld digital pressure gauge. Can't remember numbers for sure, but I tested inflating a tire from 60-80 psi and it took a couple of minutes or so. Not bad IMO for RV-ing use.

Viair now has performance data on their site and their CFM ratings are at zero psi, unlike a regular 120 volt compressor which have a CFM rating at 90 psi. If inflating LT tires for ex. to 80 psi, the 300P or 450P Viair models only do 1 CFM, down from the 2.30 (300P) & 1.80 (450P) ratings. Plus, some models have a 33% duty cycle and some are 100% so some models can take 3 times longer to inflate a tire.

You could also get a locking style chuck, check valve, thumb-operated valve and gauge and makeup your own functional equivalent to an inflator gun.

Having said all the above, for bicycle tires, get an old-fashioned foot pump! Faster and cheaper... 🙂

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a VAIR 400 since 2007..use it to air up my truck tires (rear from 45# to 80# for towing) and use it on my 5th wheel tires (110#)

Truck tires takes about 5-7 minutes/each
Trailer tires.....95# to 105# about 10 minutes/each

I use an air chuck that 'locks on' to valve stem

The ones that came with it DO allow air to flow because the air compressor is 'positive discharge' and NEEDS air flow
I do not turn it on until I have chuck connected to tires
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31