cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unfolding, rotating off-grid camper.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
The SCARABANE camper popped up on my FB page. I thought I would share it here.
12 REPLIES 12

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting, but highly impractical. Maybe for a small vacation cabin on property you own but aren't allowed to keep a trailer on it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
that track is one BIG pain to deal with

this is nothing but a concept vehicle to show off different technologies

like the wind turbine, folding deck, solar water heater , and the tiny home track, so your solar water heater is always in the sun

Of course then you would have to locate it so that all sides could get sun all the time. but do they make/sell a solar setup that can do the same thing on a stationary roof?
bumpy

MrWizard
that track is one BIG pain to deal with

this is nothing but a concept vehicle to show off different technologies

like the wind turbine, folding deck, solar water heater , and the tiny home track, so your solar water heater is always in the sun
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think from the photos that you lay the track down, then drive the trailer so the wheels are inside the track. Then you use a remote control (the guy has it in his hands in one photo) to level the track. The wheels may raise up slightly (there are two tongue wheels that fold).

The main issue I see is that with the automatic rotation, your outdoor patio is always getting full sun as the solar panels are directly above it. So if you want a shaded patio or a view of a shaded area, then the panels aren't getting the exposure.

Nice idea, but not really meant for our campgrounds and RV parks. Boondocking would be nice - areas of wide open spaces.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
how do you back it in over that circular track? seems to me that any TT would be preferable at 1/10 the cost.
bumpy

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting concept for sure. I agree the rotating track seems highly unlikely for most users. I think of our campsites at the lake that are built up and just barely wide enough for the camper... let alone that ring.

What I do find interesting is the fold out room that effectively doubles the interior footage. The fold out deck is pretty neat too. I could see something like that being effective at a seasonal spot.

I wonder if any of that technology could make its way to a traditional camper... the foldout rooms that double in width are especially neat.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like a boondocking camp site is the only place it would fit. Think you have enough problems with slideout, stiff legs and level systems. No thanks

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting concept, no doubt.

I'm wondering if it's required to put it on the rotating track. If not, then I'm trying to imagine it sitting in a USFS CG somewhere here in the Rockies. Or some of those commercial "resorts" that are little more than a parking lot with minimal space between sites. I do like the minimalist interior concept, but don't know how practical it would be for most of us.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I could maybe see the concept as a portable cabin sort of thing without the turntable. My thought being seasonal use in a flood prone waterfront location.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Just setting up that turntable would put me off.
Over the years how many places have you stayed at where you would want to rotate for a different view of your other neighbor.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I wonder though, how do you get the wheels out of the way so the unit can rotate on the ring?

I just assumed the wheels retracted into the camper...lowering itself on top of the track??????

Getting the track in place, perfectly level, is sure to be a PITA.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that's definitely an interesting concept. I wonder though, how do you get the wheels out of the way so the unit can rotate on the ring? Or do those corner jacks lift it up so the ring can be put under it and then lowered on it with tires off the ground.

Not sure how well that would work in the USA. I think the feasibility of it becoming widely accepted would be the price and someone daring enough to do it and then get notoriety out of it, like ... like Rose O'Donnel :S or Oprah Winfrey, :E someone like that! Not for me though. I'm too much "old school".

Edit:
The more I think about this, I'm beginning to see some real problems. Number 1 being, it has to be level for it to rotate correctly on that ring. Now, if WE who have conventional campers have challenges level 4 wheels on the ground, in mountains, sloped driveways, and some really uneven campsites, how in the world will you find somewhere with enough foot print for that ring to be perfectly level.

Which makes me think, the purpose is not for camping, but it's real purpose is for alternative "tiny houses" for living in, not camping. Thus, the reason for it to rotate.

Just my thoughts here.