cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turning With A Long Bumper Pull Trailer

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 38 foot bumper pull trailer and I will be pulling out of my summer park in 2 days. I hope some of the experienced pros here can give me some guidance. I've taken 3 short trips in the new truck (F-250 long bed, full cab, a long truck) and trailer, but it's been 6 months now and that's all the experience I had. When I came into this park I had a left turn off a divided road so that was pretty easy. This time I need to take a right turn onto the same divided road. It's only 1 lane each side with a center lane for turning. I've got a little cheat room on the right side of the exit from the park, but only about 2 or 3 feet. If I took a left turn I'd have to go 10 or 20 minutes out of my way, plus it's a tighter road going left. Can you guide me on how far out into the street I have to get before I start turning the wheel of the truck? I can't go to a parking lot to practice so I have to give this my best shot. I suppose if I have other right turns the same will apply, but I'm trying to avoid them except out in the country when I get to the next park.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
35 REPLIES 35

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I think I would more concerned with the length and possible excessive weight for a 250/2500 truck. That's a LOT of tail wagging the Dog!!!

Semi-tractor required?

GVWR is only 9k on the trailer he lists...a 3/4 ton should be fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I would more concerned with the length and possible excessive weight for a 250/2500 truck. That's a LOT of tail wagging the Dog!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pull out as far as you can but with a 38ft trailer, your front wheels will be in the far side ditch before you can start the turn if you wait for the trailer axles to reach the road.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing to add to the good advice already received. Just take it slow and use your mirrors. Adjust your mirrors if necessary to see the trailer tires on the right. Hopefully the main road is not too busy, and don't worry if you end up using the center turn lane. As long as it's not a 55 MPH road, if you end up slowing traffic to get out, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
hondapro wrote:
I think you are overthinking this. You have already have towed the trailer with the truck so you have that experience. I think you will find you are worried about nothing. On any right turn start as far to the left that you can, pull out until your trailer wheels are about even with the road and as you start your turn watch your trailer wheels in your right convex mirror as they start to turn.

Several people have said "pull out until your trailer wheels are about even with the road" The trailer wheels are about 30 feet behind the end of my truck. There's no way I can wait that long to start turning my truck on my park road or on the highway I'm entering. I watched a similar trailer leave yesterday and he didn't wait nearly that long. I'm going to test it on the exit from campsite to be sure.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
10-4 on the tail swing. Long ago I tore the whole side out of someoneโ€™s truck because of the tail swinging around. Costly mistake. If unsure stop get out and look. Let traffic wait

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are overthinking this. You have already have towed the trailer with the truck so you have that experience. I think you will find you are worried about nothing. On any right turn start as far to the left that you can, pull out until your trailer wheels are about even with the road and as you start your turn watch your trailer wheels in your right convex mirror as they start to turn.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wildtoad wrote:
Just about every right turn will require the advice given in this thread. Stay left make as wide a turn as possible. Good luck at fueling stops.

Just make sure the tail swing won't clip something...at 38ft, it can swing out to the left by a fee feet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
I would say just hook it up and go. You can practice at home. But it will always be different when you are actually on site. It's normal to be nervous. But it will work out in the end.

Thanks. I feel better about it now because I caught a break. A neighbor pulled out today on the same route. His rig was about the same size. He swung the corners with no problem. He went into the center/turn lane on the street, but he cleared the corner with room to spare.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would say just hook it up and go. You can practice at home. But it will always be different when you are actually on site. It's normal to be nervous. But it will work out in the end.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about every right turn will require the advice given in this thread. Stay left make as wide a turn as possible. Good luck at fueling stops.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Is there anyone experienced towing in the park? As mentioned, without seeing it, not much we can provide. Someone there could spot you as you go out directing you and watching that you don' get in trouble.

Worst case, they could drive it out onto the road and then let you take over.

Thanks for the tips from everybody. I'm going to stay left as much as is safe and swing out into the street as far as is safe, but I have one more idea. Where I am located in the park I have to make 3 right turns. The last right turn is to get onto the public street. The first right turn is leaving my spot. The park street gets almost no traffic and there's an alternate route 100 feet away so I can block it for 10 or 20 minutes with no problem.

If you can't take the trailer to the parking lot for practice, bring the parking lot to the trailer. Below is a photo of my plan. I'm going to lay a garden hose on the side to represent the edge of the street. I marked the park road with blue. I'm going to swing out to the grass on the other side because it's level and then turn right. Then I'm going to stop a few times to see how the trailer is tracking and if its wheels clear the corner. I will also check the swing of the rear of the trailer. I've read that a bumper pull will track the truck's wheels pretty well, better than a fifth wheel trailer. What I learn in that practice will help guide me when I pull out onto the real street in traffic. Next week I will update this post with my findings from this test.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
haste maker wrote:
When making a right turn stay as far to the left as you can before the turn and use all the space you have available in front of you, even if you don't need the room to make the turn...it's good to have to much room, than not enough.

This ^

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
When making a right turn stay as far to the left as you can before the turn and use all the space you have available in front of you, even if you don't need the room to make the turn...it's good to have to much room, than not enough.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is there anyone experienced towing in the park? As mentioned, without seeing it, not much we can provide. Someone there could spot you as you go out directing you and watching that you don' get in trouble.

Worst case, they could drive it out onto the road and then let you take over.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'