cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we went from Pa to Texas on I-81 to I 40-to I-30. Destination Ft Worth area. We have a 26ft Keystone Cougar TT pulled by a Nissan Titan XD diesel. First night was at Edger Evins State park which is east of Nashville off I-40.. Campsites were on a deck by the lake. Never seen anything like it. You parked your camper and tow vehicle on the deck. Next night was Lake Catherine Campground in Arkansas off I-30. Very nice campground.A full hookup site right on the lake was $37.40.Our destination campground was at Pilot Knob in Highland Village,Texas. Sites with water and electric on the lake. Nice location. The bath house was clean,but there was no privacy in the showers.Last year we stayed at Hickory Creek but they decided to close it after we made our reservation.While Pilot Knoll was nice,we liked Hickory Creek a little better. It was also cheaper because it is a Federal Campground and we have the Senior Pass. On the way back we stayed at the Buffalo KOA west of Nashville. The staff was nice but not one of the better KOA's. $48 a night for FHU.The last night was Claytor Lake State Park in southern Va.$40 a night for W&E. Nice pull through. Diesel fuel in Texas was $2.62.Back here in Pa is $3.47. Roads were pretty good the whole way.
3 REPLIES 3

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang01 wrote:
How are the roads on 81 between Penn and Nashville ? We are going in May. We usually go rt86 in NY to 71, then 65 through OHIO. Last time traffic was tough through all the construction. We are coming from Central NY right off 86, it's not much of a difference for us to go 15 to 81. Although it shows as 50 miles or so longer in distance, I've heard that it's a nicer drive. Thoughts ?

Most of the roads on that route were pretty good. There were a few sections,mostly in Arkansas that were rough but overall,they were pretty good.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Lake Catherine a few years ago, it consistently rates well.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
How are the roads on 81 between Penn and Nashville ? We are going in May. We usually go rt86 in NY to 71, then 65 through OHIO. Last time traffic was tough through all the construction. We are coming from Central NY right off 86, it's not much of a difference for us to go 15 to 81. Although it shows as 50 miles or so longer in distance, I've heard that it's a nicer drive. Thoughts ?