cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with AC running

MandJ76
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone run a generator to power the AC in their fiver or TT while towing to the CG so it will be cool inside upon arrival? Good idea or bad one?
14 REPLIES 14

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never done it. If its that freaking hot where I'm going camping, I probably don't want to be there anyways! Besides, we usually turn on the AC as soon as we arrive. In the 20 minutes that it takes me to set up camp, pull out chairs and unpack I usually get a little sweaty and the AC cools down enough that it feels GREAT when I do go inside to cool down a little.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Do it all the time in hot weather. Have a built in generator. About an hour before stopping for the day we start the generator and turn the AC on high. By the time I have set up, the trailer is nice and cool.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous 5th wheel, the electrical cord came out near the back so I built a small platform for the generator on the rear. We never had a problem and usually just started the AC an hour or two before we arrived. The generator stayed on that platform all the time. My current rig has the electrical closer to the front so I put the generator in the truck bed. We only carry the generator on specific trips. I have been able to tie up the electrical cord to keep it secure on both trailers. It definitely makes it a lot nicer to arrive and the trailer is already cooler.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it, mostly to prove to myself that it could be done. I simply ran a 30 amp extension cable under the trailer and back to the location of the regular plug. Some additional restraints were used to keep things in place while traveling. Worked fine. Although I did get pulled over for having a yellow generator in a red generator state.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is bolted into the truck bed in front of the hitch. I wired a 10 gauge cord into the transfer switch which runs out under the bedroom area past the pin box and has a Twist lock connector to go into the generator.

My AC had a hard time cooling it down in there while traveling. It may have dropped it a few degrees. A few years back I tried to run the heat at one time and had the same issue didn't seem to warm it up that much probably because of window and vent drafts.

AC and heat work fine while stationary

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we don't bother in our TT toyhauler. When we get there we blast it on HI and just wait, it cools down very fast so for us it doesn't matter truly. We have a 30' box TT toyhauler so cool down goes very quickly. For us it would depend on cool down time for a bigger rig but when we had the massive 40+ 5'ver toyhauler we didn't bother either but cool down took longer for sure.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
This issue points out another reason that many of us are happy with a truck camper instead of a trailer. I crack open the rear ceiling vent and conditioned air from the truck passes through the camper. When I stop for lunch and an afternoon nap, the camper is comfortable and I don't need to turn on the AC or furnace.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interested in hearing from others on how they have their generators set up for use in motion on travel trailers or 5th wheels that don't have permanently installed generators. I've been contemplating the same question for a while. I've considered racks for the A-Frame like https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Organizers/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-255.html or just putting it in the bed of the truck, but my power inlet is all the way at the back of my coach. I think the best thing here would be to install a transfer switch with a new inlet at the front, but assuming you put the trailer in the truck bed, how do you manage the cord between the truck and trailer?
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never did that with a Trauler. Do with my Motor honme.

A/C cools quickly if you leave the A/C in the "ON" State. then first thing when you get it on site and leveled side to side (First thing when you get out of tow vehicle) plug in And THEN turn on the park breaker (plug in with breaker OFF).. It should be cool enough by the time you get unhooked and to the point of entering.

BUT.. That said.. no reason you can't do it that I know of.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MandJ76
Explorer
Explorer
I ha5ve a platform on the rear of my fiver and my 50 amp plug is right there on the rear. If I calculated correctly, my generator will put out about 35 amps. I'd plan on stopping about an hour before arrival at the CG and start the generator and one AC.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a gen in bed of truck with power cord that reaches front receptacle of 5th wheel

When it's HOT I run gen and crank on the 5vr A/C Unit plus with fridge in 'auto' it swaps to electric

Set up is SOOOOOOO much nicer when the 5vr is already cooled down

No logical reason NOT to run it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motorhome but do not see any problem with your plan. Generators need to be exercised anyway.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
No reason not to. Class A's run their gens all the time, why not a 5r?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I see no reason not to.