cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPO roof understanding help.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2020 26XD has a TPO over a vacuum bonded laminated roof. Would someone please take a minute and explain to me what that means. The outside of the roof is a fine cloth like mesh. Is this the TPO? and if not does this type of roof need to be treated with a UV protector. I looked up TPO here and I find that it doesn't need to be treated, but I don't understand what the cloth mesh is. Feel dumb asking this but its a component I know nothing about. Ahhh yes a Jayco, sorry 'bout that...
Thanks for any help.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
6 REPLIES 6

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
As always, thanks for taking the time to fill me in. Maintenance. It's all about proper maintenance..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The cloth is used as a reinforcement. A rubber roof EPDM does not have this reinforcement. TPO is a thermoplastic material and is much more durable than EPDM. Having said that my EPDM roof is 24 years old and has never leak, so I would not worry about the durability of your roof as long as you check the sealant around the cutouts and recaulk as required.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I called Alpha (the manufacturer of my TPO material) when I got my current camper in 2011 because I had seen so much conflicting information in various forums. They said to just wash the roof with Murphy's Oil Soap once or twice per year. They said the soap leaves a little oil behind which lubricates the TPO and keeps it supple. It still looks fine.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've had EPDM and TPO single layered roofs on several different trailers and they will outlast the lap sealant used, hence the reason for inspection.

The best product you can apply to your roof is Aerospace 303 UV protectant several times per year. Imo

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I just realized, the OP has a Jayco RV. When did Jayco start using TPO and and vacuum bonded laminate roof ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The outer skin is TPO. TPO comes in several grades, 45, 60 and 80 mil. Thicker is more commonly used for commercial applications. The big "win" for TPO is that all seams should be "heat welded", not just glued. A special tool is used to melt the two pieces together.

If done properly no caulk/sealants are required, EVER ! Anything coming through the roof should be mounted on "curbs"/"pedestals" and the curbs should be covered in TPO and "welded" to the roof.

Any roof will last longer if washed and a sprayed with a UV protectant once or twice a year. Storing out of direct sun will add to any roof's life expectancy.