cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Tundra

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I now have a 2016 Tundra and will be towing my 5000 lbs trailer, well below the tow rating. What I am asking since this truck does not have traditional low gears how do you if you have one like how it tows? How is it on the down hill in tow/haul mode? Its nice it has a built in trailer controller and how do you like that?
6 REPLIES 6

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Forest River Evo about 8K when fully loaded. Tundra pulls it just fine and will go as fast as you're willing to go. On the freeway I set my cruz at 70, speed limit in Utah is 80!.
Going down hill - I'll manually downshift the truck and let the motor rev. There's a section I'll hit in the mountains here where I have the truck in manual 1st gear and the motor will rev to 5-6K but it holds the load back and I very rarely have to get on the brakes. It's a great platform.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2017 Tundra and tow my Airstream that weighs just about 6500 going down the road. I tow in 5th and am not afraid to select 4 or even 3 going down grades. I also downshift on steeper hills and am not afraid of revving it a little. I had a 2008 and both have been excellent for us. I do not like the integrated brake controller that came on the 2017. Took it out and installed my Prodigy that works great. You have a good TV.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
The Tundra will do just great with that trailer. My previous trailer was 7200 lbs loaded and current trailer is 9400 lbs loaded. My 2009 Tundra did just fine with both trailers.

Enjoy the camping.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made an emergency landing with my boat on a remote beach. I hitchhiked back to the truck and was able to get the trailer in the water. Getting out with 19 foot boat in the beach gravel was going to be tough. I started to bury the real wheels. I found a nice lady with a Tundra. Using a tow strap she helped ease my rig off the beach. The day my Ford was saved by a Tundra.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Great trucks. Wish I still had mine. A Tundra with the 5.7l has a 4.30 rear gear as standard equipment. This is ideal for towing. You wonโ€™t even notice a 5k camper behind you. We towed the trailer in my sig with an โ€˜07 crewmax. 7800lbs and it never broke a sweat. Donโ€™t be afraid to let it rev in the mountains, itโ€™s best power is in the higher RPMs. The power train is bullet proof. You wonโ€™t hurt it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7L. I pull a 27' Forest River Flaggstaff. When fully loaded it weigh's around 5800lb. I also use a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. The Tundra pulls the camper easily. I've not encountered any situation where I wished I had more truck. I always pull in tow mode. When towing it will shift often,and the shift points are higher, so that takes some getting used to.

Just go camping and enjoy!!