cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Question

GSP9
Explorer
Explorer
Question you guys might be able to answer. We have been looking at travel trailers for the past year and are getting closer to buying one. We were at the Hershey show this past weekend and found a few that we really like. A question that no one has been able to really answer for me is a weight issue. I have a 1/2 ton Silverado that is rated to tow 9,500 pounds. I want to stay well below that figure for obvious reasons. I tend to be a minimalist and don't need a lot of the frills and add ons that are on some of these trailers today. We have two young kids so we have been looking at bunk models. I found a few bunk models I like that are in the 4,500 pound range and 23-25 feet long. One dealer had the next model up with some more amenities priced less than some of the smaller trailers. Only issue was it weighed about 5,500 pounds empty and is 27-28 feet long. I really wanted to stay below 5,000 pounds (empty) and around 25 feet in length. I just don't want to get into a situation of having too much trailer and not enough truck. My question is, will I really notice going from a 4,500 pound trailer to a 5,500 pound trailer? Would there be a noticeable reduction in MPG or power? I've towed a landscape trailer with equipment on several occasions that I estimate weighs in the 6,500 pound range and had no trouble but I also don't have the wind resistance of a camper with that setup. Am I making too much of an issue over the added weight or not? Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Dave_Mck
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the smaller trailer, after about 6 months your going to wish you got the bigger one!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, payload will be your biggest obstacle. Do you have fiberglass topper, added step bars, or any other accessory added to the truck since it left the factory?If so, they all add up toward your payload. Do you plan on taking firewood when allowed by the campground?

We had a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 CCSB 4x4, 5.3/6spd/3.42 w/ tow pkg- payload was a little less at 1554lbs, we were actually just over our GVWR (under awr's). It adds up very quickly! We do carry a few more things than some, ez up, coleman roadtrip grill, decent size tarp to make a nice shelter also when needed for cooking/ eating, etc. We hardly ever spend time inside the trailer unless we are sleeping or oven cooking. Camp chairs, have the kids beach toys during summer trips, fold up wagon for the beach trips, etc..Bikes for our twin 10 yr old boys, sometimes bikes for my wife & I as well. We also take firewood when allowed, aprox 300lbs or so.

Last trailer weighed about 6300lbs/860tw, the one time I weighed it. I moved some stuff around to slightly lower the tw, but never reweighed. Our new trailer weighs about 7200/920tw.

I never felt the need for more power (though it would have been sweet!) traveling here in Mi, just drop her a gear or two, and give her gas! MPG towing both trailers was anywhere from 7.5-10!!!

Just watch what you load in the truck, more so as the kids grow, and you should be ok for a while! It was this reason we just upgraded to a 2500HD-payload 2758lbs! Now the firewood and coolers can ride in the bed of the truck!

Good luck!
Chris
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Our fuel "economy" is basically half while towing.

In the Chev there is engine braking while in tow/haul. There is not whem in the M settings as far as I can tell.

The integrated brake controller that comes with the trailering package works very well.

We use an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch 1200/12000. Now that it is well setup towing is very good. We do not feel transports when they pass us on freeways.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

GSP9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same truck setup and I tow a 27-foot Rockwood that weighs in around 7K loaded.

I definitely know the trailer is back there, but it does OK. I have the Reese Dual Cam (12,000 lb.) hitch and the P3 brake controller, and that setup has done a pretty good job so far.

We are a family of only three and the little one is only 16 months old. Just watch how much gear you load and I think you'll be OK.

Have fun and safe travels!
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
GSP9 wrote:
GVWR is 7,000 pounds.
Maximum trailer weight is 9,500 pounds.
GCWR is 15,000 pounds.
I believe the payload capacity is 1,671 pounds.

After reviewing the info supplied I am confident you can tow that comfortably. Performance is always somewhat subjective but it appears you will be within all the vehicles max ratings short of loading the entire pick up box with firewood.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
The numbers seem like the work. You'll know it's back there.

Remember that the payload on the truck doesn't include aftermarket items like spray-in bed liners, truck caps, car seats, brush guard, etc. Then estimate what you'll carry in the truck: kids (they're little now, but they'll grow. . . depending on age this could be another 100-250 pounds combined), firewood?, bicycles?. All of these things should be subtracted from payload. I don't know what the ratings include now, but the payload used to count for one 150 pound human on board. If you're like me. . . well. . . I need to add some weight to my "rating" and include DW.

You shouldn't run out of tow capacity, but watch payload. As it stands now, you should be fine, but you could easily overload yourself by continuing to add more stuff to the truck.

Let me echo the advise for:
- Good weight distribution hitch
- Quality sway control
- Brake controller (not timing based)

As a previous poster said, mentally prepare yourself to run at high RPMs, which is exactly what the 5.3L is made to do. You might end up in M5 or M4 running at 2,500-3,800 RPMs or so. The engine can run at 3,500 RPM all day without harming it. Review the torque / horsepower chart for your setup to know where the power is made.

Good luck!
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're in the ballpark of the comfort zone for that truck weight-wise. A good rule of thumb is that average family adds 1500 lbs of stuff (not including water) to a trailer, which is pots/pans, clothes, food, beverages, etc. If you are a minimalist as you say that number might be 1000 lbs. Adding that to the dry weight gives you a good estimate of what the trailer will weigh loaded. 12% or so of that will be on the tongue, so gives you an estimate of what you are adding to the truck in terms of GVWR.

Also compared the estimated loaded weight to the GVWR of the trailer to see hoe close to the max ratings you will be running. Some trailers have very low carrying capacities, and when loaded run right at GVWR, inviting tire issues.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
With a 5400 lbs base curb weight. Adding two passengers (300 lbs) and 200 lbs of misc stuff in the truck you're at 5,850 lbs. If the trailer loaded is 6,500 lbs you'll have approximate 780 lbs of tongue weight (12%) which brings the total to 6,680 lbs, short of your 7,300 lb GVWR.

Assuming proper weight distribution/sway control the truck should be able to tow with this set-up. How well it tows is somewhat subjective with the major issuing being the downshifting and higher engine revs as the grade of the road steepens.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My question is, will I really notice going from a 4,500 pound trailer to a 5,500 pound trailer? Would there be a noticeable reduction in MPG or power?

No and no.

5.3L/3.42/6-spd is a good combo. Verify the payload per the tire and loading sticker on your driver's door, but you should be fine at 5500 dry and 6500-7000 pounds loaded. That's what my TT is. It towed very well, if a little slow, with my 2003 F-150.

Be warned that towing a high walled RV is a lot different than nearly any other type of trailer. The aerodynamic drag to maintain 65mph as well as cross winds is just more difficult for the TV. Get a WDH with integrated sway control, go for the 5500 ponder if that's what you prefer.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

GSP9
Explorer
Explorer
What's your gas mileage like, roughly half of what you get without the trailer?

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention - I use Tow/Haul all the time while towing - better for the tranny.
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Silverado with the same powertrain and towing specs. Trailer is a 2011 Jayco 28U that weighs about 6500 loaded for travel. Ont. to East coast and also to Florida and back - about 4000 miles. The truck handled towing that trailer fine. The Equalizer itch does a good job of keeping everything stable.
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

GSP9
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR is 7,000 pounds.
Maximum trailer weight is 9,500 pounds.
GCWR is 15,000 pounds.
I believe the payload capacity is 1,671 pounds.