cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Limits

Bedlam
Barney was complaining that the forum seemed little quiet, so I have an early Christmas present for him:

Chevy Silverado Driver Ticketed for Towing 53-Foot-Long Trailer

A driver in Canada was ticketed for towing a 53-foot-long trailer with a light-duty pickup.

The trailer was hitched to the truck via a pin system, which somehow worked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/chevy-silverado-driver-ticketed-for-towing-53-foot-long-trailer...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thatโ€™s some serious Canadian Engineering! That was definitely more than a half rack of Molsons project!
Agree, that hopefully isnโ€™t an air tank. Looks like a 55gal drum.
Like to see the hitch tongue attachment to the dolly though. And the Autozone 4 wire pigtail is just the icing on the cake!
Wonder if itโ€™s a Dmax or gasser?
Either way, I bet the story went something like this....
โ€œYour Ford sucks. I can tow a semi trailer with my Chevy eh!โ€
โ€œProve it Bob (McKenzie). โ€œ
โ€œOk, eh. Check this out eh. โ€œ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
drsteve wrote:
He's in violation of the total length limit of 20 meters (65.6 feet).

That could be the most reasonable charge ticket. Especially if he did not have proper permits.
Altho as noted by some, were brakes working such he could stop ion time per field tests.... Would could be another issue. A smart er person than I that understands the air brake system s, could probably make brakes work to pass field tests.

At the end of the day, manufactures warranty/wieght ratings had nothing to do with person getting ticketed.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
He's in violation of the total length limit of 20 meters (65.6 feet).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I wonder how he activated the trailer brakes. If the wind caught the trailer it would be one wild ride!

Don't think he did. Only see 1 air hose hooked up. Guessing that was the supply line to release the parking brakes.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
going over ratings won't have the wheels instantly fall off...but they will sooner than later...

I don't see an issue. It's obvious the stairs were too short so they lowered the back of the camper so they'd reach.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Wondering what the actual citation was for per say. That trailer assuming empty! Does not wirgh more than 15,000 lbs. Obviously not over weight per Canadian equal of federal bridge law weights.
Safety is mentioned. A broad catch all that can get anyone off the road, towing or not......
The hitch at the truck does look a bit suspect.

Marty

One article said the driver was charged with an oversize violation.
Maybe it was too long?
And, maybe there were other safety related charges?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With air bags he/she would be good to go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
romore wrote:
I wonder how he activated the trailer brakes. If the wind caught the trailer it would be one wild ride!

The driver did have some type or air system rigged to the trolley. I don't know if it was a static system to deactivate the trailer brakes or was electrically slaved to the truck braking.

I don't think that is an air tank on the trolley. I read elsewhere they had something in the bed supplying the air. That looks like some type of fuel tank on the trolley and not hooked up if you look close.

blt2ski
Wondering what the actual citation was for per say. That trailer assuming empty! Does not wirgh more than 15,000 lbs. Obviously not over weight per Canadian equal of federal bridge law weights.
Safety is mentioned. A broad catch all that can get anyone off the road, towing or not......
The hitch at the truck does look a bit suspect.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bedlam
romore wrote:

The driver did have some type or air system rigged to the trolley. I don't know if it was a static system to deactivate the trailer brakes or was electrically slaved to the truck braking.

Bedlam
BenK wrote:
going over ratings won't have the wheels instantly fall off...but they will sooner than later...

This is more of an example of loading behind the axle and what leverage can accomplish. If you loaded the same weight of bricks forward or over the axle, I doubt you would have seen that bend.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer was empty it could be well within the towing capacity of the truck.
Just shows the towing capacity can be misleading.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...