cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Explporer 4 down

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Explorer, towing 4 down. The dingy Guide is correct on the information. It can be towed 4 down. What it does not tell you, that any modifications made to vehicle can and will not work properly.

Took Explorer in to dealer to check why the remote start would not work. After waiting for a couple hours the wise service tech. came to me and said, cant fix it. Since you altered the car with the baseplate it disabled the remote stat. The shutter part aids in cooling the radiator. Once baseplate is install the shutter part will not refit. Ford engineers stepped on this one I think. It was already installed as a package option. You can tow 4 down but without the remote start option. Heck if I had known that in advance of purchasing the towing equipment I would have gone with a dolly.

Curious if any others have experienced this problem.
6 REPLIES 6

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Edge Sport that has the Active Shutters and remote start. When our Roadmaster baseplate was put on, they removed the bottom shutter blade to get it to fit. Remote start still works, shutters still work. How long has it been since the baseplate was installed? Could you go back to the dealer that installed the baseplate and see if they can replace your shutter assembly? I am assuming that they removed the entire assembly instead of just a blade or two.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
olddog49 wrote:
Tripalot wrote:
Doing without the remote start is a lot better than dealing with a dolly. Anyone we know that has used a dolly got rid of it -- too much hassle.

I understand your reasoning, and would agree. The exception is.. from late June through early Sept. in Southern Nevada Temps range over 110-117, makes for a hot steering wheel even with window tint and a sunscreen blocking windshield. Reckon we need a cooler climate :).

Never thought about heat - where we live cold is the problem. We have heated seats and heated steering wheel along with the remote start.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Doing without the remote start is a lot better than dealing with a dolly. Anyone we know that has used a dolly got rid of it -- too much hassle.

I understand your reasoning, and would agree. The exception is.. from late June through early Sept. in Southern Nevada Temps range over 110-117, makes for a hot steering wheel even with window tint and a sunscreen blocking windshield. Reckon we need a cooler climate :).

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Find a baseplate that doesn't require the removal of the Active Grille Shutters (If one is available).

Modify the Active Grill Shutters so that they clear the base plate and still function.

I don't see where Ford Engineers have any fault here. Modification of an active vehicle system is usually going to affect other things. And there are most likely other variants of the Explorer that don't have AGS at all.

Ok, Ford engineers may not be at fault. After speaking with Blue Ox, when I purchased the base plate. Blue Ox only had 1 model for the Explorer. Now they have 2 the newer one will accommodate the shutter setup. That said, I'm not spending more money to change out base plates. Figure the model Explorer we have was build late 2016 and has some features that were not on the earlier 2016 model. Seems the 2017 Explorers have the same shutter setup. Blue Ox product BX2668 will work great as they told me.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Find a baseplate that doesn't require the removal of the Active Grille Shutters (If one is available).

Modify the Active Grill Shutters so that they clear the base plate and still function.

I don't see where Ford Engineers have any fault here. Modification of an active vehicle system is usually going to affect other things. And there are most likely other variants of the Explorer that don't have AGS at all.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)