cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing advise please

waltrazz
Explorer
Explorer
hello, towing my 38 ft travel trailer close on 10,000 lb with my f150 heavy towing package and i added air bags so it sits nice and level with 15 lbs in bags. tows petty good at 50 to 55 mph tops , but once a while i feel the tail wag and it calms down quickly but i don't like it . so hears the question will i improve by experience by replacing the truck with an F-350 or similars with dullies. thanks for looking .
23 REPLIES 23

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I REALLY YTHI
valhalla360 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Going from a 1/2T to a 350 is a really expensive step as all your costs from fuel to brakes are much more. We have for years pulled our Jayco with our 250 diesel and it has never felt any different then driving our normal ride around town auto. We normally drive cross country and south every year in all weather and terrain.

That's one of those funny things, unless you get the big diesel, a 3/4 or 1 ton isn't much different in price from a similarly outfitted half ton.

I really think the ride in our 250 is car like especially with the diesel. This is our 2nd one and I can attest to driving the USA every year for no less than 15 years. I ride of our truck is great. Another point I can park i9n spots cars park unlike a dually.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My advice, You never have to much truck but it may be to late when you discover you don't have enough.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
tomman58 wrote:
Going from a 1/2T to a 350 is a really expensive step as all your costs from fuel to brakes are much more. We have for years pulled our Jayco with our 250 diesel and it has never felt any different then driving our normal ride around town auto. We normally drive cross country and south every year in all weather and terrain.

That's one of those funny things, unless you get the big diesel, a 3/4 or 1 ton isn't much different in price from a similarly outfitted half ton.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you actually weighed your truck? You're likely over the GVWR, RAWR, or tire weight rating; posibly more than one of those.
A 2500 would be adequate. A 3500 would be great. I don't see the need for a dually.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 36 ft travel trailer that came in at about 10,000 lb. I had an 350 dually. I won't say I did not know it was there, but unless we were in a strong crosswind or going down steep grades it was close to not being there. An F250 would do you just fine but it's always nice to have the extra payload capacity and towing capacity with the 350.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even a 3/4 ton would be a nice upgrade. They start with a payload north of 2500lb.

What's the payload on the door sticker of your current truck? The trailer should have a hitch weight of around 1200-1400lb, so even with the towing package you are likely pushing the limits of the trucks payload.

Honestly, I wouldn't go much over 7-8000lb trailer with a 1/2 ton and many won't even handle that much.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I would say yes even without the dually as 10k should not be an issue for a 350/3500 SRW.

I am a far cry from the weight police crowd but my personal opinion and only my personal opinion is 10k is too much for any half ton regardless of its tow rating or payload rating, that could approach twice the weight of the tow vehicle. 350/3500's additional weight, suspension, brakes etc will certainly help add to the stability and safety factor. I realize that some 1/2 tons have higher tow ratings than 10k but a travel trailer/fifth wheel especially 38 feet long is going to behave differently than a flatbed trailer loaded to the same weight with say concrete bags or whatever equipment unless you have built a big box around it. I know on my 3500lb equipment trailer loaded down with a 9000lb skid steer tows better than my fifth wheel (10k lbs) even though it weighs 20% more.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short answer, yes. Even with a heavy duty F-150 you still have way too much trailer for that truck. It's the tail wagging the dog. Towing is one consideration, stop g it is another. I can't imagine what a windy day on a winding road would be like but it probably wouldn't end well.

The good news... new trucks are nice. Good luck.

:C