cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Jeep Cherokee

Jstensby
Explorer
Explorer
Can my 2021 Coachmen 32fs flat tow a Jeep Cherokee with proper transmission and drive
My question concerns the weight of the car towed
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure if the OP will ever return, but - all you need to do is check your specs and weigh your coach. A quick look at Coachmen's spec sheet for your model tells me it weighs in around 14k loaded with a 22k GCWR. With a 7500 lb hitch it looks like the max weight you can tow safely is in the neighborhood of 7500 lbs. Of course the best way to tell for sure is weigh your rig loaded for travel and subtract that from the GCWR. The amount you can safely tow is the LESSER of this number OR your hitch rating. Of course even if the number is within specs you should always have a supplemental braking system on the towed vehicle.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Provided it has the Active Drive II it can be flat towed. I tow an Explorer that weighs 4500 lbs, 4800 with bikes and a full tank of gas. Does very well in the mountains considering itโ€™s weight.
I also tow a 16 Ram Hemi crew cab with a golf cart. 6200lbs total weight. Tows it very well in the flat midwest. It will never be towed in the mountains.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Jstensby wrote:
Can my 2021 Coachmen 32fs flat tow a Jeep Cherokee with proper transmission and drive
My question concerns the weight of the car towed
Thanks

Yes, no problem. Your rig has a 7500 lb towing capacity when fully loaded, both hitch and GCWR are rated for this. You'll want a toad braking system, but do your homework since there are no design or manufacturing standards I'm aware of that cover these systems.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's called the "curb weight" - it's how much the vehicle weighs.
The Jeep Cherokee has a curb weight of around 4250 lbs. The Grand Cherokee weights much more.
Which transmission your Cherokee has is important. Not all Cherokees are suitable for flat tow.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
If your Cherokee has Active Drive II yes, It its 2017 or older you need to have a kit installed so steering stays energized to stop the death wobble.

We towed our over Canada and Yellowstone to Glacier and Tetons with 8% grades with no issue
We have an 2018 Tiffin 34PA with V10
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a transfer case lever that says High-Neutral - low you can place it in Neutral and tow with 4 down.

how well it tows is a different story.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to know with no data. What does your mh weigh as setup for travel? What does the Cherokee weigh? Add those two weights together and compare to your motorhomes Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

My 2016 F53 V10 mh tows my 4900 lb Jeep Gladiator just fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT