cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Dolly tire straps

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone come up with an alternative to the troublesome adjustable tie down straps. I'm thinking Snow chains altered.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)
14 REPLIES 14

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the Wife and I came to an agreement.
Forget towing the Fiat, sell the brand new tow dolly for 60% of the original cost and continue to tow the Geo Tracker 4 down.
We are just too old for all the work involved with a dolly.
Thank you all for the advice and knowledge you offered.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
oldschoolhdmike wrote:

my issue is the ratchets. I cannot release mine because they hit the bumper of the car. I physically have to unbolt them from my master to dolly.

If you look closely at the ratchet mechanism, you will see that there is a plate that gets pushed back when you move the handle to the release position. If you cannot open the handle that far because it contacts the bottom of the car, you can use a short pry bar to push back the plate and release the ratchet strap. Much simpler that unbolting the ratchet mechanism.

My solution was to place a 2" X 10" under each tire. I still don't like the one size fits all straps.
Marvin
BTW, I have one chain strap almost completed using tire chains.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
oldschoolhdmike wrote:

my issue is the ratchets. I cannot release mine because they hit the bumper of the car. I physically have to unbolt them from my master to dolly.

If you look closely at the ratchet mechanism, you will see that there is a plate that gets pushed back when you move the handle to the release position. If you cannot open the handle that far because it contacts the bottom of the car, you can use a short pry bar to push back the plate and release the ratchet strap. Much simpler that unbolting the ratchet mechanism.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

oldschoolhdmike
Explorer
Explorer
i just got some of these off ebay. They are the best quality i have seen

DEMCO Car Basket Straps Tow Dolly Wheel Net Set Flat Hooks BLUE USA

Mod Edit: Fixed URl to be clickable with title.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Never ever even thought about the straps, that was the easy part.
And then when I ditched the safety chains, it was a pc a cake.
Law does not require safety chains from vehicle to dolly.
And once I convinced myself that the vehicle is NOT trying its dammedest to get loose from the dolly, made things easier.
I hate chains,....good luck w/ them.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
www.autohaulersupply.com
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I searched and found that there are sizes to fit small tires. The one size fits all that I have are too time consuming to adjust each time for me.
I experimented with a set of tire snow chains today and have one side about 80% finished. It is specifically for my Fiat size only.
Even though it is made of chain it is relatively easy to install.
Pictures later on.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
DO a search on "wheel bonnets" or "tire bonnets"

Thank you Sir.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
First off, this is NOT a debate on Tow Dolly vs. Flat tow. I have over 50 years experience with flat tow but very little with a tow dolly.
I want to tow a Fiat 500 on my tow dolly and find it difficult to adjust the straps. My straps are made to fit a variety of tire sizes. When adjusted to my small tires they loose the setting when I remove them and I have to set them to fit every time.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we used a dolly, it had straps like these.

Did not find them difficult to deal with at all. Just got your hands dirty putting them over the tire. Not every car is towable 4 down, so sometimes you just have to stick with the dolly.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
DO a search on "wheel bonnets" or "tire bonnets"
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Horizon170 wrote:
Has anyone come up with an alternative to the troublesome adjustable tie down straps.

Yes, Solution? 4 wheel down towing! Ditch the dolly. ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Suncruiser

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
One alternative is to tow 4 Down.

A few years Acme Tow Dolly was offering chains. I think they went over part of the suspension, not the tires. I don't think they were very popular. They are no longer an option.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Why? Straps are much lighter and easier to handle.