cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tip: "Tractor" fuel = RV diesel

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
I was refueling at a place that uses a touch-screen for paying at the truck pump. After I swiped my credit card, the following questions appeared:

Tractor fuel: yes no

I pressed "no" because I'm not agricultural or whatever.

Then it said:

Reefer fuel: yes no

I pressed "no" and it came up and said "no fuel" and cancelled the transaction.

I went inside and found out that "tractor fuel" is just regular diesel. So they tried to run my card in there and problems ensued because of their terminal, and I gave up. And at the next place, my card was declined because my credit card company had detected fraud.

The moral of this story: if you're filling your motorhome and see "tractor fuel" on a screen, press "yes."
44 REPLIES 44

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
how do I go about collecting a tax rebate for the 100 gallons of gasoline that I use in my lawnmower, outboard,etc.
bumpy

There was a time ; many years ago ; when we had 2 gasoline fuel tanks on the farm. One for off road fuel, and One for on road fuel. They would check your taxes at the end of the year to make sure that you were not using a excessive amount of off road fuel for the amount of tractors (farm tractors) that you had vs the amount of cars / trucks.

It was all rather complicated.

No farm tractors have run on gasoline in decades.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
After HUGO there was a serious shortage of fuel . In Fl , So. GA and Alabama we were told to use off road fuel as that was all that was available .I ran 36,000 miles on dyed fuel .That is how we moved all those FEMA trailers .

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
I have a lot of information here and see a way to make a little camping money. The guilty ones send $10 and I will forget everything. There's a good chance I will forget everything by tomorrow anyway.
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Whiskey River wrote:
Just wondering, why are they called "Truck Stops" when actually they are "Tractor Stops".....
LOL. I've never researched why they're called "semis". Semi - what?

It's an abbreviation for a tractor pulling a semi-trailer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
Just wondering, why are they called "Truck Stops" when actually they are "Tractor Stops".....
LOL. I've never researched why they're called "semis". Semi - what?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
All off road diesel is ULSD in the US and Canada. Has been for a while. No difference from on road except the dye.

X2

And off road fuel (red dyed) does NOT hurt the newer emissions diesels either.

I live in farm country and have never ever seen a pick up get checked for red diesel. We even have a livestock yard close by.
I live in farm country as well and I have seen the Highway patrol take swabs to check for red dye residue. Not cheap if you do get caught.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
All off road diesel is ULSD in the US and Canada. Has been for a while. No difference from on road except the dye.

no. road tax is only charged for on road vehicles. That by the way is what the dye is for.. It is the "Tax Stamp".

Yes I understand that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
how do I go about collecting a tax rebate for the 100 gallons of gasoline that I use in my lawnmower, outboard,etc.
bumpy

You have to document every gallon used by those devices then there is an additional form you file with your income taxes.. You tax accountant SHOULD know how to do it. I do not think I've ever seen it mentioned on the software I use (but that's not an issue with me).

Now, in days of old I'd have said "not worth it for 100 gallons" but last time I checked the road tax was well over 50 cents per gallon, and for 50 dollars (Actually more) it's worth it.

I still did not worry about it when I had a house and yard however cause ... Well.. it burned kilowatt hours, not gallons. (the mower).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ralphnjoann wrote:

I don't think he's talking about taxable or tax exempt when he says there is no difference. I think he's saying it's all the same fuel but that which is tax exempt has dye in it.

I see your point. but as someone who's life is sponsored by taxes I consider the payment of tax to be a BIG DEAL (though road tax is not where my pension comes from)

He said "NO DIFFERENCE"

And I was pointing out the difference.. Taxes

And if you get caught with the wrong color in your road tank.. Big fines (If it's in your off road tank, no problem).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

no. road tax is only charged for on road vehicles. That by the way is what the dye is for.. It is the "Tax Stamp".

That's not quite true, at least not in Canada.

All watercraft regardless of size, type or fuel type are forbidden from using untaxed (off road) fuel.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Coming from Florida into Georgia when I was heading to the Okeefenokee Swamp there was a fuel check station that all diesel trucks have to pull into. Once I stopped and he saw I was pulling a camper he waved me on through without even getting out of his chair. It's literally in the middle of nowhere so I assume he checks the more "farm" looking trucks.

Do you mean agriculture inspection station? I have never seen a "fuel check" station in GA. Florida has Agricultural Inspection Stations and that is what you probably saw. They are not looking at campers and they are NOT LOOKING AT FUEL.

Nobody is stopping ANY vehicles anywhere that I'm aware and checking the color of fuel. Since nobody can find evidence of this happening it sounds like a bunch of bull%^&$. If they are going to check anyone it would be commercial vehicles not RV and POVs.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from Florida into Georgia when I was heading to the Okeefenokee Swamp there was a fuel check station that all diesel trucks have to pull into. Once I stopped and he saw I was pulling a camper he waved me on through without even getting out of his chair. It's literally in the middle of nowhere so I assume he checks the more "farm" looking trucks.