cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Prep the 5er

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the best time of year to be boondocking! In just a week from now will be getting ready for a few weeks in the mountains! It looks like it may be a little cool when we “de-winterize” for our trip. With the weather, a lot can change over a few days.....we have lows predicted below zero F next Monday morning....will be loading the camper with gear/food and water on Wednesday. Hopefully, it will be 20’s or a bit warmer when I’m playing with the water hose! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
10 REPLIES 10

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of cool temperatures around the region, and I’m sure that some are much colder. We hit -13F here at the house......airport 15 miles away showed -18F. Thankfully, it will warm a bit before we fill the fresh water tank and load up the 5 er for our trip! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Rich, Congrats on your (well your wife’s) successful elk hunting. This little 2 week season will be our only hunting /camping this year. Not a year to reminisce favorably upon.

I’m glad to hear the favorable report on your camper. It’s good to gain the piece of mind, to have a successful “stress test”! We understand the propane usage, we’ve been using a relatively large 5er since the late ‘90’s.....in some pretty cool weather!

Enjoy your time spent in Mesquite! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston, Thank You for the well wishes!

Congratulations on two of your children getting their secondary education @Laramie.....we think it’s a pretty good school.

I can understand (to a point) your desires to remain in California. It’s a little tough cutting the roots to your home. In some respects California and Wyoming are similar, with the large amounts of public land and the various terrains! And in each terrain......it offers it’s own form of beauty!

Enjoy your desert rides, and as they say.....”keep the shiny side up”! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Yep, the best time of year to be boondocking! In just a week from now will be getting ready for a few weeks in the mountains! It looks like it may be a little cool when we “de-winterize” for our trip. With the weather, a lot can change over a few days.....we have lows predicted below zero F next Monday morning....will be loading the camper with gear/food and water on Wednesday. Hopefully, it will be 20’s or a bit warmer when I’m playing with the water hose! 😉 memtb

Hi, Todd!

We put a test on the new 5’er last week. Boondocking near Cokeville. A couple of nights at 10degF. Went through more propane (house is bigger), but nothing froze. Happy campers!

Winterized today, cold forecast, but loading up in 2 weeks for the season in Mesquite, NV. No boondocking there 😉

Good luck with your hunt. We had 3 tags, cut all 3. Wife’s cow dressed 280. Lotsa meat in the freezer. Hunting buddies without tags got the other 2.

Ps Wife’s the better shot 😉
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

dedmiston
memtb wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
memtb wrote:

So where are you headed?

Our desert riding season kicks off next month. I can't wait.

dedmiston, We’re really not going far.......about half-way between Thermopolis and Cody (Wyoming). We’ve got late season elk tags, and will be in the hills for only about 2 1/2 weeks....the G&F shortened the season. Even if we fail on the elk....it will be nice to be out!

It’s been a very busy year here at home. We haven’t gone anywhere or done anything, other than an overnighter in our little Class C for our semi-annual shopping trip!

Where do you do your riding and what machine are you using.....I assume you’ll be riding dunes! Whatever and wherever.....I hope you have a great trip! I’m guessing that it will be a bit warmer for you desert trip! memtb

That sounds fantastic. I'm not a hunter, but that's only because good hunting is too far away. But I did read all of C.J. Box's Joe Picket books. I was walking with our dogs one morning in the desert and struck up a conversation with the guy camped down the road doing the same thing. He turned me onto the Joe Picket books and I enjoyed them.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Wyoming. Two of my kids went to university in Laramie, and one of them ended up getting her doctorate there. Even though we rightfully had to pay out-of-state tuition, the education up there was fantastic. We're very grateful to the Cheney family for all of their endowment to the school. We even accidentally drove through the Cheney's ranch when we took a shortcut to Casper.

I think Wyoming is trying to kill me though. Between getting snowed in in May when we went up for graduation so many years ago and having the wind blow the bedroom window out of our fiver, I think Wyoming is gently telling me to keep out. You sure have a gorgeous state though.

Our camps down here are in the scrub parts of the desert and not the dunes. We have a lot of hills and washes to give us some good terrain to ride our Can Am through. As badly as I want to leave California, I can't believe how lucky we are to have so many square miles of gorgeous legal lands to ride through. It's an amazing playground and people are surprisingly good about being good stewards of the lands out there.

Enjoy your trip.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
memtb wrote:

So where are you headed?

dedmiston, We’re really not going far.......about half-way between Thermopolis and Cody (Wyoming). We’ve got late season elk tags, and will be in the hills for only about 2 1/2 weeks....the G&F shortened the season. Even if we fail on the elk....it will be nice to be out!

It’s been a very busy year here at home. We haven’t gone anywhere or done anything, other than an overnighter in our little Class C for our semi-annual shopping trip!

Where do you do your riding and what machine are you using.....I assume you’ll be riding dunes! Whatever and wherever.....I hope you have a great trip! I’m guessing that it will be a bit warmer for you desert trip! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dedmiston
memtb wrote:

So where are you headed?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis, yes, it comes with challenges....and with rewards!

Thanks Jerry, looking forward to some home away from home time! We’ve been “social distancing” for many years..... “just another day in the park”! Actually, we may see more people than when living at home! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't forget your masks, and keep social distance from all the others camping in the mountain boondocks.:) You have the right rig, plus previous experience, camping in extremes. You will have a great time, that many others will never experience!

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That's COLD for this camper!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad