cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanks "Mountain Mama" for the tip ... it's GREAT!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
From a previous thread "Mouontain Mama" gave me a tip! I'd like to say "Thanks" for the tip Mountain Mama!

Mountain Mama wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
New 5er,...I'm still unorganized. ....Last trip over Thanksgiving week, discovered a new storage hazard.... the refrigerator. ...After traveling, every time we opened the door the first time... I mean ... literally ... everything came crashing out! ...

Look in the curtain rod Dept of WM for longer tension curtain rods for your fridge.

I wouldn't have thought of using spring loaded shower curtains. I've seen them only in the longer lengths, too long for my new residential refrigerator. But looked a little deeper and found these.. 25 - 40 inches! Perfect!

Not only that, you simply pull them and then twist to tighten. Very easy to use! So, I got one for each shelf! I do believe this will keep stuff from bonking me on the head when we open the door first time after traveling.

8 REPLIES 8

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
If anybody is searching for the thinner ones, just look for "Tension rods". Amazon has tons of options, including this 5 pack for $17. You don't have to buy them at an RV store (where they likely cost more).

https://www.amazon.com/Tension-Rods-Cupboard-Tensions-Extendable/dp/B0773B1JM9/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-gar...
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
We use the smaller version curtain rod, with a pool noodle cut to size over them. Also what's left of the pool noodle gets put in the with the other stuff so it will not slide around.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, for years we have been using white colored small diameter spring loaded rods (available from Camping World and other sources) of various lengths in several places in our RV. They're not shower rods ... they're too short and too small a diameter for that.

We use them in the RV's refrigerator door shelves and in various other coach cabinet shelves to keep stuff better organized and from falling out.

In each rod, if you screw the one part in/out from the other part you can set the amount of force applied by their internal spring mechanism to hold them in place.

Overall, they're an ingenious invention and especially useful in an RV!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Camco sells the exact same thing. They sell them as a two pack. Likely the curtain rods are cheaper. Camco does have a version that is two rods connected together with two wide plastic spanning sections.
I've bought both Camco versions and some from Walmart. They all work fine and the same.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I use those rods in almost all my cupboards, mainly to keep from getting conked on the head when opening. Also use them in the fridge. Everything in there is now nicely kept so no surprises when I open the doors. Also keep them in the medicine cabinets.

Also, on cabinet doors that are behind slides when underway, I use the child latches that span from one cabinet door knob to the other. I do this because one time early in our ownership of this motorhome, stuff inside the cabinet had worked its way to the front of the cabinet while underway and pushed the door open. I couldn't see it because it was behind the slide. As I opened the slide, the knob caught on the slide itself and ripped the knob from the door and damaged it to where it had to be replaced. I only have 3 cabinets that qualify, so the latches were a cheap fix and no more broken doors.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
You need to spend more time in Walmart! All kinds of neat stuff that can be used in RV. Sometimes requires a bit of imagination which DW is well blessed with..
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use the RV ones in our medicine cabinet.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Amazon offers these shorties under RV accessories. They work great in Fridge, and in Cabinets too. Easy removal when parked.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic