cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariffs hit RV prices

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In today's Wall Street Journal, Michael Happe, CEO Winnebago, " We've had to go to market a bit more frequently and a bit more aggressively with some price increases as of late" They are also modifying RV floor plans to trim cost. He went on to say " Tariffs, broader trade tensions, and rising inflation are clouding the outlook for Winnebago"
This is coming as they are doing a 25 million dollar expansion. They are worried the uncertainty will cause consumers to hit pause. I never thought about how much Chinese materials are in an RV.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
103 REPLIES 103

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Wow a bunch of arm chair Economists here! I'm so glad none of you are the USA Secretary of Commerce.

So did you always think that these luxury goods increase every year by magic beans? All of a sudden talk of tariffs is the end of civilization? Maybe your use to the dealer markups and the MTG rebates thinking your getting a great price? If Winni wants to blame tariffs and DJT for their increases, and they expect you to react by either pulling the trigger now to buy, or get you all worked up to point fingers because it hurts their globalist bottom line, cuts into their profit margins. If your worried about costs, stop upgrading every 3 or 4 years for the latest and greatest rigs. You may either have an issue or too much money on your hands? If it's the latter, then a true tariff increase won't have any affect on you. For NAFTA, end it. Only K-street and politicians elites in both parties benefited from it.

This is a "camping" forum, not a political soapbox. It's bad enough that the MSM keeps pushing their Fake news agendas all in our faces. Please keep your partisans leanings to yourself and bite your tongue when someone (like me) doesn't agree with your beliefs, this isn't the place. So normally I wouldn't respond to something like this, and I won't certainly say anything more or respond to flamers on this. Please block me or something so you won't be offended if my name pops up here or there.

This is nothing but ignorance if you get sucked into these topics.

Normy

Not sure where to start with your post as it's all over the map, seemingly pointing fingers at a whole group of posters. But if your suggesting my comment about my reason for purchasing now due to future increases. It was based on experience in my own field. It's real. So doing what I did made sense to me, and I personally could care less if you believe I was suckered.

It amazes me how some people feel the need to tell others how to spend their money, or how they believe they have a grasp on global machinations more so than others. You sure covered a lot of political real estate yourself with that post.

For the record. I could care less about the tariffs. Let them rip. I have zero problem with them. I wouldn't be the first to plan out a large purchase.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Wow a bunch of arm chair Economists here! I'm so glad none of you are the USA Secretary of Commerce.

So did you always think that these luxury goods increase every year by magic beans? All of a sudden talk of tariffs is the end of civilization? Maybe your use to the dealer markups and the MTG rebates thinking your getting a great price? If Winni wants to blame tariffs and DJT for their increases, and they expect you to react by either pulling the trigger now to buy, or get you all worked up to point fingers because it hurts their globalist bottom line, cuts into their profit margins. If your worried about costs, stop upgrading every 3 or 4 years for the latest and greatest rigs. You may either have an issue or too much money on your hands? If it's the latter, then a true tariff increase won't have any affect on you. For NAFTA, end it. Only K-street and politicians elites in both parties benefited from it.

This is a "camping" forum, not a political soapbox. It's bad enough that the MSM keeps pushing their Fake news agendas all in our faces. Please keep your partisans leanings to yourself and bite your tongue when someone (like me) doesn't agree with your beliefs, this isn't the place. So normally I wouldn't respond to something like this, and I won't certainly say anything more or respond to flamers on this. Please block me or something so you won't be offended if my name pops up here or there.

Normy

I smell Trumper here who complained that this has become political then started making it political.

And if you are complaining of ignorance put in something enlightening to school us and elevate us from where we are (supposedly).

Seriously, only the current Secretary of Commerce know this stuff? Economics, commerce and trade are first year college subjects.

In fact, I see them as the ones who are ignorant, don't care or hostage of hateful policies towards allies and competitors alike. I'm sure they know or severely underestimated the consequences of their actions.

Not applicable

Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
And after a brief intermission...

Stay tuned for Act 2...Inflation

Something boomers are familiar with, but not many others.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our new MH two weeks ago this Friday. I wasn't really ready to make the move. Another 8 months to a year was more in our time frame. One of the reasons we moved on this rig was the increase in build costs due to the reason discussed in the OP.

I'm in the distribution business and many suppliers costs are increasing because of this. Customers steel prices are going up too. So yes, it's getting passed on. Not all manufactures are running huge profit margins. Especially if they're doing work for the big three.

That being said, I was told that as new 2019 rigs coming from the manufactures they were going to see a 6% and up increase in cost. On our MH it would have been around $13,000 more if we waited. Also the interest rates are going up too. So we bit the bullet and bought now. I believe what I was told as It's confirmed in my industry.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RTCastillo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Call it by it's real name, it's a "tax" and guess who's going to pay it. We are!

You can't make it as simple as this.

Thanks,

Actually, at the end of the day, it really is this simple.

Tariff is simply a tax on imports/exports. Costs are passed on to the consumers.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

et2
Explorer
Explorer
dup

et2
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Call it by it's real name, it's a "tax" and guess who's going to pay it. We are!

Thanks,

No? How about this simple?

A guy who went bankrupt FOUR times is running the planets largest economy.

Funny, some of the largest companies and financial institutions running our economy have failed. All It just takes a public organizer to bail them out with your money.

Sorry. I just noticed you don't have any skin in this game. Not your money.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
RTCastillo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Thanks,

No? How about this simple?

A guy who went bankrupt FOUR times is running the planets largest economy.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Thanks,

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I actually agree with the position on China vs intellectual property. Other trading partners respect each others patents, China should to.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes the most sense is on Real Time by Bill Maher. And, what I need is a set of tires that wear out before they time out.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
MAGA hats and American flags for the 2020 campaign for Trump are made in China. Seems to me that buy America should start at the top.

It's actually in the exemption list and so is his daughter's items (I don't know if she's closing the business altogether or just handing management to someone else).

Not politics, just facts.