cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching to 4 step vs 3 step entry stairs

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Found my sweetie seated on her rear from a fall off the stairs where I had parked last trip boon docking with too steep of a drop off slope even using a platform step as the 4th stair, so next week the dealer will add a 4 step entry. Our fifth wheel entry is 38" from ground level and the first step up at level is about 14" high. With the fall she luckily had a soft landing between two boulders and only got small abrasions and bruises. She lost her balance as she stepped up on the first step trying to lean back while holding onto the grab bar to allow the door to open and swing by her. She's short and hopefully more stairs will help with her safety. Also letting the two sister bull terriers out at night with their leashes on and making it down the steep steps also gets very precarious for me and the girls. Anyone else made this change?
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time
38 REPLIES 38

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My 'C' has a single step outside and two permanent steps inside. It also has just one grab bar on the outside of the door opposite the hinges. So I bought a handle at a hardware store and attached it to the back of the dinette seat just inside the door. Now I can set what I'm carrying on the floor inside and have two handles to pull myself up. Works for me and it was a cheap fix.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Kerstin with Torklift did a nice write up on our last trip.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:
One of our upgrades on our new fiver was 4 steps with solid treads. No more chance for doggies nails to get hung up. Also very comfy for human bare feet. Love them.

Same with the Glow Steps..solid steps, no holes or grooves, unit is constructed out of aluminum and stainless steel .
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
Walaby wrote:
How much are y'all paying for the glow step, and do you just call the nearest dealer to you? There doesn't seem to be too many Glow step dealers around, according to the website.

Mike

Hi Mike, just ordered the 4-step TorkLift GlowStep Revolution (sure could use a shorter name!) from eTrailer.Com. $549.99, free shipping. There are less expensive options, I'm counting on the stability to be worth the premium price.

I'll post a review (and photos, if I can figure out how!) once installed and used a time or two.

I had a stroke mid August, using the OEM steps were "springy and not solid..The glo-steps are solid and no give..It made it easier for me to go up and down the steps with weak left arm and leg...It's a great product and I would highly recommend the product.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
How much are y'all paying for the glow step, and do you just call the nearest dealer to you? There doesn't seem to be too many Glow step dealers around, according to the website.

Mike

Hi Mike, just ordered the 4-step TorkLift GlowStep Revolution (sure could use a shorter name!) from eTrailer.Com. $549.99, free shipping. There are less expensive options, I'm counting on the stability to be worth the premium price.

I'll post a review (and photos, if I can figure out how!) once installed and used a time or two.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
Reading this thread with interest as I want to upgrade from 3 to 4 steps for my TT. I use an aerobics step now, but the dog doesn't like it too much. She manages the rest of the steps okay, just uncertain on the first one.

Priced the 4 step replacement from e-trailer at about $250 I think. Interested in the Glow Step but haven't called for pricing yet. Probably will next week, as Im out camping this week.

Mike
If you're interested in the Quadra-Step, they do work very well. I put them on my toyhauler to replace the 3 step and was very happy with them. It's an easy installation.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
On the right side of the GSR at the top is an "elevation " adjustment..you can bring step that is first one you step on going out of your door and bring it up higher to the door...Kind of cool and still keeps the steps lovel...Didn't even know that adjustment was there at first..Installers didn't get manual back to me..even makes the steps that much cooler.

Thank you Jim! Saw that in a diagram on their website. Looks to give about 4" of adjust at the top as you described, 3" of adjustment with the landing gear feet.

I just need to go back to storage unit, confirm measurements and make purchase. I'll post pictures once complete!

Thanks again.

Glad to help ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading this thread with interest as I want to upgrade from 3 to 4 steps for my TT. I use an aerobics step now, but the dog doesn't like it too much. She manages the rest of the steps okay, just uncertain on the first one.

Priced the 4 step replacement from e-trailer at about $250 I think. Interested in the Glow Step but haven't called for pricing yet. Probably will next week, as Im out camping this week.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
One of our upgrades on our new fiver was 4 steps with solid treads. No more chance for doggies nails to get hung up. Also very comfy for human bare feet. Love them.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
On the right side of the GSR at the top is an "elevation " adjustment..you can bring step that is first one you step on going out of your door and bring it up higher to the door...Kind of cool and still keeps the steps lovel...Didn't even know that adjustment was there at first..Installers didn't get manual back to me..even makes the steps that much cooler.

Thank you Jim! Saw that in a diagram on their website. Looks to give about 4" of adjust at the top as you described, 3" of adjustment with the landing gear feet.

I just need to go back to storage unit, confirm measurements and make purchase. I'll post pictures once complete!

Thanks again.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Only took me a bit over 2 hours to install my GSR working alone. A floor jack/motorcycle lift will be helpful. One issue I had was the bolt GSR used to secure the safety/locking bar prevented the step from raising far enough into the step's installation area. Easy work around was to remove the bolts on either side, drill a hole in the trailer mounting plate and re-bolt the safety bar in place. May have just been the step mounting plates on our Montana that caused the issue. Overall very happy with GSR.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I do understand your question. The Glow steps will still work. The bottom legs are adjustable and the initial drop is also adjustable.
If you want a simple solution just use a stool as your 4th step.
If you are going to go to the trouble of replacing the steps. I highly recommend using GSR's they are far superior to the typical OEM steps.

Lantley, I appreciate the response. Will likely place an order for a set of the GSR's today. Next trip is middle of April, will post my experience and thoughts about them. Thanks again.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
jody h wrote:
After my wife fell on our steps i bought these They cost alot but i wouldnt have anything else now. A trip to the ER would be more. Now when we step out have a platform to step out on plus a hand rail. Takes about 2 min to put up and take down.

We bought the steps & the full platform. Not cheap but well worth it.
I even went over to Emory,Tx and watched them being made.