Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sturgi Extend-a-Stay Hose Failure

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
This is a rant/warning combo.

I have a Sturgi Extend-a-stay kit that's a bit less than 4-years old. I don't use it much, so when it's not in use the hose is stored in a side compartment - my point being that it's not sun-damaged or anything like that.

I wanted to fire up the heat to do some work in the RV but the on-board tank is out of propane. I grabbed a 20 lb cylinder that I knew was about half-full, dug out the hose and fired up the heat. I went out a couple of hours later and there was no heat. I checked the propane cylinder and it was empty!

I was sure that the thing was half-full, but maybe not. I hooked a fresh cylinder up to it and immediately smelled propane. I shut it off and disconnected it. It was at that point I realized that the inside of the Extend-a-stay hose had become really brittle and was cracked in several places under the rubber sheath and the propane was seeping out through the rubber. There was no visible indication of it being broken inside. It had a bit of a curve to it so I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to straighten it out. I heard it crack and break internally with every attempt to straighten it out. That hose used to be totally flexible - I have no idea what caused it to deteriorate like that, particularly at what I consider to be a young age. And, again, the outside of the hose looked brand new. Outside temps were low-40s, so it's not like the hose was frozen solid.

I didn't see where I could order a new one from Sturgi without the entire kit so I got a $15 replacement from Amazon. Hopefully the new one will hold up better?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
10 REPLIES 10

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You might want tr the Camco replacement hose. In three years of heavy use, ours show no signs of stiffening up. The O-ring on the soft POL hasn't even needed replacing yet...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
So I e-mailed Bill @ Sturgi. He replied right away and asked me to call him. So I did.

Really nice guy. He explained what happened and why it happens. I tend to believe him but skeptics chime in if you'd like.

He said the issue with the hose - and any hose like it - is the plastic inside them. They're basically PVC hose wrapped in rubber. They use elasticizers (I don't know how to spell that) to make the plastic flexible. When connected to a high pressure source - like a tank - the gas leaches into the plastic and makes it stiff and brittle. You don't have this issue with the low-pressure hoses like those that feed grills and such. The rate of deterioration depends on how much time the hose is connected to the high pressure source. It could be a year, or many years.

He said they've been experimenting with other materials over the past year or so that hold up better.

Anyway, I didn't get a new hose out of them but I enjoyed the conversation whether it was baloney or not.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Mine started leaking at the tank end fitting. Not sure who made it. Less than a year old and not used very much.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely e-mail them.

I kept saying "Sturgi Extend-a-stay" but I believe the packaging said "Sturgi-Stay", which I guess is the post-Marshall Brass product. I thought I bought it from Amazon but it's not coming up in my history. Could have been anywhere I guess.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest contacting Sturgis about this problem, I bought one of their QD Sturgi-Stays through Amazon last year only to have it arrive leaking at all the fittings, as it was assembled without any pipe sealant, I wrote to them about this issue, they promptly replied, and sent out a replacement valve assembly 2nd day air at no cost to me.

Here is the contact information for the guy that helped me:

Bill Diel

VP - Sales & Purchasing

MB Sturgis Inc.

555 Fee Fee Rd.

Maryland Heights, MO 63043

p) (888) 291-6665 X18

f) (314) 291-6628

c) (314) 363-1681

wdiel@mbsturgis.com

www.mbsturgis.com

Mistakes can happen in the assembly of any product the good companies stand behind their product and make it right. In my experience this is one of those good companies.

Ike

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Humm. Mine was 12 years old when last I used it (earlier this year) no problems.

But Mine is of course a Marshall Brass product being that old. (ALas Marshall Brass no longer makes 'em. Don't know why, but they handed them off to others).

Marshall Gas Controls (Marshall Brass), since renamed to Marshall Excelsior, is very much still making RV products including the "Extend-A-Stay", although it's now called the "Stay-Longer". A few dealers apparently still have some in the original "Extend-A-Stay" packaging still on the shelves.

Marshall Gas Controls 536-00 Extend-A-Stay Standard Tap Kit

MEC RV Catalog
Dutch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Humm. Mine was 12 years old when last I used it (earlier this year) no problems.

But Mine is of course a Marshall Brass product being that old. (ALas Marshall Brass no longer makes 'em. Don't know why, but they handed them off to others).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My Marshall Brass Extend-A-Stay hose was getting very stiff after 6 years of use, so I ordered a replacement Camco hose from Amazon. The new hose was much more flexible than Marshall hose was even when it was new. The Camco hose also came equipped with a soft POL fitting instead of the original hard POL fitting, so I no longer need a wrench to swap cylinders. I've used the Camco hose for about 3 years so far, and it shows no signs of getting any stiffer, and the soft POL continues to work very well for hookups. I leave the hose connected even when I'm not using an external cylinder, so I also bought a brass POL cap to screw on the end for both protection and to prevent leaks.
Dutch

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I've also had challenges with rubber propane hoses. I've had one now for 10 years and still haven't used it yet. Now I'm nervous! ๐Ÿ™‚

What's interesting is I also bought 2 Camco-branded hoses to go from the Extend-a-stay to my grill. I store them in the same place as the tank hose. They're in perfect shape - still really flexible with no signs of stiffening up like the Sturgi hose did.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've also had challenges with rubber propane hoses. I've had one now for 10 years and still haven't used it yet. Now I'm nervous! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE