cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting Over - Heart Attack

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a heart attack a couple days ago and part of my heart got damaged. We had left RVing to go sailing, but being many hours or days away from help seems a little less appealing now.

So, we are considering starting over with RVs again. We have some travel plans and likes and wants, but every time I go through the RV exercise to see how weโ€™d accomplish our goals in RVs, I come up short. Boats win out every time.

Iโ€™m hoping to enlist the collective mental power of the internet to see if you all have some good ideas about how to do this stuff.

Goals:

• USA and Canada
  • Europe
  • Be able to go into say, NYC, San Francisco, Paris or other crowded, small town areas (public transportation to get in is fine)
  • Also boondocking on federal lands, polar opposite uses.
  • Full time RVing and living in the RV
  • Lots and lots of dry camping, off grid, not in campgrounds
  • Still some nights in campgrounds especially they are in parks
  • Keeping RV as our home wherever we go, including international

Questions:

• What would the best type of RV and toad/trailers/whatever be to achieve this?
  • Anyone here ship their RV around the world?
  • How am I supposed to plan for transportation going electric and limited range?
  • Will I be able to get diesel 10 years from now? I know there are many emissions zones around Europe where I canโ€™t even drive the RV I have now.
  • How would you achieve these goals?

I currently have an Arctic Fox truck camper on a diesel Dodge Ram. Not trying to break the bank, but will spend a fair amount to get these goals settled.

Outside of the box thinking is encouraged, as well as pragmatic and practical thinking .

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am 75 and have cardiac issues that are likely to kill me, hopefully not for a number of years. I am not about to sit near a hospital just in case. Any sort of travel can take me hours from medical care. In addition I often hike alone in the backcountry.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, this is one of the highlights of the thread because you can understand what Iโ€™m going through.

Yes, I was asking a question about what setup to get, but this post is exactly what Iโ€™m feeling. To give up the life at sea I have been living for decades is just devastating.

Iโ€™m really glad to hear youโ€™re finding it to be comparable in some ways.

I have been thinking about what youโ€™re saying actually. The time to help. It took about an hour to get from a rural area Iโ€™m in to the cardiac center here. I sustained some heart damage from that. I have wondered if a coast guard helicopter grabbing me from the gulf and dropping me right at the heliport at the same cardiac facility would have actually been faster. Iโ€™m curious what you think.

Do you do any fun sailing still? Hobie cats?

chuckbear wrote:
We just finished a 48 hour trip across the Gulf of Mexico when I had my heart attack. A delay of more than 10 minutes to the hospital would have meant I would not be here today. If we had been offshore, it would have been all over. We spent 30 years living aboard and doing extensive cruising. After my recovery, we bought our current RV and sold the boat on the advice of my cardiologist. These decisions were devastating for us. That was in 2015. As of today, we have been consumed with traveling and enjoying our RV, buying and upgrading a home base, and getting myself back in reasonably good physical condition. There are still occasional pangs from missing the boat. But for the most part, we have come to enjoy traveling in the RV as much as the boat. We have done extensive traveling in the U.S. but still have a lot more to see. I doubt it can all be done in a comfortable manner in one lifetime. Mexico and Central America are still on our bucket list. If we did eventually have time for Europe, we would fly over and rent an RV. I'm not sure this information is helpful but I just want you to know that there is hope for a long and exciting life ahead, even if it means big changes. Good luck in whatever you choose. Chuck

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a 48 hour trip across the Gulf of Mexico when I had my heart attack. A delay of more than 10 minutes to the hospital would have meant I would not be here today. If we had been offshore, it would have been all over. We spent 30 years living aboard and doing extensive cruising. After my recovery, we bought our current RV and sold the boat on the advice of my cardiologist. These decisions were devastating for us. That was in 2015. As of today, we have been consumed with traveling and enjoying our RV, buying and upgrading a home base, and getting myself back in reasonably good physical condition. There are still occasional pangs from missing the boat. But for the most part, we have come to enjoy traveling in the RV as much as the boat. We have done extensive traveling in the U.S. but still have a lot more to see. I doubt it can all be done in a comfortable manner in one lifetime. Mexico and Central America are still on our bucket list. If we did eventually have time for Europe, we would fly over and rent an RV. I'm not sure this information is helpful but I just want you to know that there is hope for a long and exciting life ahead, even if it means big changes. Good luck in whatever you choose. Chuck

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
You said you lived off grid in your TC, just need something newer. I would think a 24 Class C with 50 gals of FW and a large storage bay in the rear would be the next step. Something like the Chateau 22E or if you need more room something with a slide out queen or one with a full wall slide, like the freedom Elite 24HE. I have a friend that shipped his 24 ft C to Ireland and it was not that expensive.

This is in interesting of thinking and definitely seems to be EXACTLY the right size.

Itโ€™s just small enough to fit in all the European stuff and large enough to survive living in long term. The Winnebago View 24s are Mercedes chassis which would probably make things a LOT easier internationally.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I was afraid Iโ€™d get the response to just forget RVing in Europe. Itโ€™s been a dream of mine to go back by boat or RV for decades. Iโ€™d like to live there for a couple years with a movable home, like I do here in the USA.

it might change things if you are concidering going to europ for a couple years. I have been looking at renting an RV in europ for a couple months for a vacation. there are campgrounds all over the place and while they might not be downtown pairis, there just outside of the central ring and its a short transit ride to atractions.

I am not sure on the cost of shipping, but it might be worth it. for me it was going to be slightly cheeper than staying in hotels but way more freedom. Maybe there are places that lease for a couple years.... sounds like you need to do some internet hunting and phone calls to see what shipping it would be vs leasing or maybe even buying one second hand and selling it when you leave....

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said you lived off grid in your TC, just need something newer. I would think a 24 Class C with 50 gals of FW and a large storage bay in the rear would be the next step. Something like the Chateau 22E or if you need more room something with a slide out queen or one with a full wall slide, like the freedom Elite 24HE. I have a friend that shipped his 24 ft C to Ireland and it was not that expensive.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
You can rent a RV in many countries. Most rentals will be a class C or B. Several people on YouTube have rented an RV in Europe or New Zealand.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Oooh!!!! Thank you!

This does seem like a good way to do it. Iโ€™ll start reading now.

2g's wrote:
Plan on getting a RV for the U.S., Canada, Alaska, Mexico and beyond and forget shipping it overseas. It's expensive. Either rent if it's to be a short trip or buy one over there if a long trip and sell it upon your return. Or perhaps you could look into renting it out there until your next return.

Europe is made for RVing. Many, many do it.

For the U.S. get something where the kitchen would be suitable for your cooking. Don't skimp on that if that's a passion for you. Definitely get solar panels for your boondocking and move with elevation so you don't need AC. We were successful in doing that when we full-timed.

Here is an excellent blogger who full-timed in the U.S. for many years and then moved to France to be with her father who had medical issues. They sold their U.S. motorhome and bought another RV in France. She's a fantastic photographer and writer and her posts are always great. Very interesting couple who love boondocking and out-of-the-way places.

This blog contains both the U.S. travels and now the European travel. (Top line border has clickies to the U.S. travels.) You might want to start reading at the end of their U.S. life in preparation to moving and continue with their actual move and up until now. In one section she goes over details on selecting their European RV.

She would definitely welcome any questions you may have on buying & RVing in Europe and she's one to welcome a visit from you.

https://wheelingit.us/europe-rving-blog-links-resources/

Best of luck to you!

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on getting a RV for the U.S., Canada, Alaska, Mexico and beyond and forget shipping it overseas. It's expensive. Either rent if it's to be a short trip or buy one over there if a long trip and sell it upon your return. Or perhaps you could look into renting it out there until your next return.

Europe is made for RVing. Many, many do it.

For the U.S. get something where the kitchen would be suitable for your cooking. Don't skimp on that if that's a passion for you. Definitely get solar panels for your boondocking and move with elevation so you don't need AC. We were successful in doing that when we full-timed.

Here is an excellent blogger who full-timed in the U.S. for many years and then moved to France to be with her father who had medical issues. They sold their U.S. motorhome and bought another RV in France. She's a fantastic photographer and writer and her posts are always great. Very interesting couple who love boondocking and out-of-the-way places.

This blog contains both the U.S. travels and now the European travel. (Top line border has clickies to the U.S. travels.) You might want to start reading at the end of their U.S. life in preparation to moving and continue with their actual move and up until now. In one section she goes over details on selecting their European RV.

She would definitely welcome any questions you may have on buying & RVing in Europe and she's one to welcome a visit from you.

https://wheelingit.us/europe-rving-blog-links-resources/

Best of luck to you!

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Was this plan in the works before your heart attack? You have just experienced a major life changing physical and mental challenging episode. Take some time to process all this before you make any big decisions. JMO from someone who has been there.

Yes. Nothing new here except the heart attack. The boat was the way we were doing it all but ok thinking the risks of isolation may be too high with that. So we were looking at RVs again.

I have a lifetime of experience with both. Been a full time travel on either for decades.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
The Howes have seen the world with their Tiger. They ship it wherever they want to go. http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/index.html
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Was this plan in the works before your heart attack? You have just experienced a major life changing physical and mental challenging episode. Take some time to process all this before you make any big decisions. JMO from someone who has been there.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Rent an appropriate RV when overseas, rather than shipping it.

I'd go with a small class C 22 foot, and pull a cargo trailer behind it. Have it converted to 4 wheel drive. There are many units that run on gasoline--but I don't envision diesel being unavailable in North America within a ten year time line.

I don't like class B because of the quite limited bathroom facilities.

Or go to 26 footer and forget the cargo trailer.

I think this sounds like a good idea!

Just rent (or maybe buy) the appropriate European RV when the time comes.

We were talking about this thread this morning and we were commenting on how cooking wonโ€™t be as important in Europe since a lot of time is spent visiting cafes, restaurants, etc. So the small European RVs with a more simple kitchen will be just fine.

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look @ Good Sam "Travel Assist". They have medical assistance and RV return service of your RV.
Esacnj