cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Standard bed rails or gooseneck mount?

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new '17 F-350 SRW as the next step to upgrade to a 5er toy hauler in the near future. I'm looking at the Andersen Ultimate and the Pullrite Superlite hitches. I want a clean bed when I'm not towing, but don't want to have a 100+ pound hitch to move around and store.

As far as the mounts go, what are the benefits and drawbacks of using standard bed rails or a gooseneck. I likely won't ever be towing a gooseneck, but it's a solid connection base. With both of these, I can still go with the lighter adapter style hitch or a traditional 5th wheel.

My short list of mounts are :

B&W for the gooseneck :
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/Ford/F-350+Super+Duty/2017/BWGNRK1117.html?vehicleid=201749800#pr...

and Pullrite for the standard rails :
http://www.pullrite.com/products/isr-series-mounting-kits-fifth-wheel-hitches/isr-series-superrail-c...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never, or towed, a 5th whee so it's all new to me. I've been searching and reading old threads here and all over the 'ol interweb.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4
11 REPLIES 11

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
For those with a Super Duty short bed with a gooseneck, do I need an offset ball or is the centered location good for clearance? I'm planning to go with the B&W turnover ball with an Andersen hitch. All of the 5er's I'm looking at at new and have tapered front caps that will work with a shorted truck.
'18 Momentum 349M

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hedge wrote:
Your dealer can add the factory mounts, costs more than if it would have if it was ordered with it though

That or one could install your self.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Your dealer can add the factory mounts, costs more than if it would have if it was ordered with it though
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
slapshot12 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
First question maybe should be "Do you have the factory puck mounts in the bed?"

No, I'll need to add everything.

Either find one with the pucks, or install after purchase.

I have the truck, so I'm looking for install advice.
'18 Momentum 349M

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
I use my truck for more than just hauling the rv so a clean bed was important to me and while it is not often I do find having the goose neck hitch beneficial. With that said I added the b&w turnover ball and have never looked back. Though I am very seriously considering switching out my b&w companion to an Anderson. Companion works great, love it and have no issues with it except one and that is the weight of getting it in and out of the truck. Since I use my truck for well other truck stuff I need to install and remove the hitch quite a few times throughout the year. Sure would be nice if the thing only weighed 50 lbs instead of the 180 lbs or whatever the companion is even in two pieces the base is still quite a chore to get in and out of the bed and into and out of and to and from the shed where I keep it.

That's what I'm leaning towards, and for the same reasons.
'18 Momentum 349M

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I use my truck for more than just hauling the rv so a clean bed was important to me and while it is not often I do find having the goose neck hitch beneficial. With that said I added the b&w turnover ball and have never looked back. Though I am very seriously considering switching out my b&w companion to an Anderson. Companion works great, love it and have no issues with it except one and that is the weight of getting it in and out of the truck. Since I use my truck for well other truck stuff I need to install and remove the hitch quite a few times throughout the year. Sure would be nice if the thing only weighed 50 lbs instead of the 180 lbs or whatever the companion is even in two pieces the base is still quite a chore to get in and out of the bed and into and out of and to and from the shed where I keep it.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
slapshot12 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
First question maybe should be "Do you have the factory puck mounts in the bed?"

Either find one with the pucks, or install after purchase.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
When you find the right rig for you I would also look into the Reese Goosebox. It only fits certain pun boxes. Other than that Andersen ultimate
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:

'18 Momentum 349M

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Andersen with a B & W Turnover ball. Works well. It weighs 79 lbs. so I can load it in the truck, where a conventional hitch weighs 200 or more lbs.
We saw a photo of a Andersen mounted on regular bed rails, and the fellow made an emergency stop while hauling a very large toy box---The Andersen was fine, but the force of the stop bent the rear rail upwards 1 1/2 inches or so. Pretty impressive hitch.
Now, before some of you folks start saying "that's malarkey," I was at the dealer last week inquireing about different hitches due to a problem we're having with our fifth wheel--and the sales guy pulled out his phone and we saw the photo. I don't work for or advertise for Andersen.