cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solera Smart Arm Awning Recall ***UPDATES??***

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Durango fifth wheel with 2 solera smart arm controllers. Both have failed due to water intrusion. I received the recall and had the new updated module installed. I don't see how the new module is going to prevent the problem from happening again? Water runs down the wires into the connector and the pins on the controller and connector corrode and eventually break off. One of my smart arms had 2 pins that were corroded off and the other had 4 pins corroded completely off. One of the wiring harnesses itself has lots of corrosion in it too. I'm not confident in this fix. I see the water will continue to get into this connection and cause corrosion leading to problems. I certainly will be keeping a very close eye on these controllers and removing them occasionally to inspect for any water intrusion. I don't think my dealer has confidence in this "fix" presented by Lippert either.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED
12 REPLIES 12

sgtimusmc
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get to Lippert and get parts without going through the RV dealer? The problem is a Lippert issue and they should deal with it! All the dealer wants to do is tow my RV into their shop for the fix! I'm in a fixed location and I can change a controller and harness! This is the second controller and I already replace a motor/ gearbox assembly myself. I'm still under warrantee! Anybody got a contact to get to the top of the Lippert corporate ladder? I know who the CEO is but not how to get a message to him directly to fix this ongoing problem. If there was a recall what is it, I never got a recall?

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose I will lose the $100 adapter I bought for the smart arm too so I had the motion light feature. That was nice to have.

Hopps3210
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have it resolved. I took it back to the dealer and told them to get rid of the outside controller. They re-wired the awning so itโ€™s only controlled by the inside switch - free of charge . Kid if sucks loosing that option to control it from outside but until they can fix the issue itโ€™s not worth the headaches. Lost the dimming feature on the awning lights as well.

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any updates here. Spring is coming in Wisconsin here and we have non-functional awnings. I saw on some other forums that dealers have offered to re-wire so these are only controlled by the inside panel. I also saw where someone else had their awning arms replaced with a different model without smart arm controllers. There must be many people out there with this issue? anyone getting resolution to this problem while still having the outside controllers working? Thanks.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopps3210 wrote:
I have had the same issue with my awning. I just picked up my KZ Sportsman today for the second repair completed on the awning. After i bought the trailer in June, I noticed the blue speaker lights would not turn off unless i pulled the fuse for the awning. After i manually extended the awning i found water in the connector for the outside controller and pins were corroded.

The first go around they tried just replacing the controller per the recall which worked for about a day. Now they have replaced the controller and the entire wiring harness.

They have filled the connector with di-electric grease, but the back side of the connector is still open to the environment and prone to water intrusion. I am going to try to fill the back of the connector with silicone sealant to try and seal it. We'll see!!

Such a poor design

If there's enough room put a service loop in and puncture the insulation on the wires at the bottom of the loop, even if you silicone seal it you'll get water moving via capillary action through the jacket, putting a loop with a low point below the circuit with a weep hole will hopefully help keep the water off the circuit board.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Hopps3210
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same issue with my awning. I just picked up my KZ Sportsman today for the second repair completed on the awning. After i bought the trailer in June, I noticed the blue speaker lights would not turn off unless i pulled the fuse for the awning. After i manually extended the awning i found water in the connector for the outside controller and pins were corroded.

The first go around they tried just replacing the controller per the recall which worked for about a day. Now they have replaced the controller and the entire wiring harness.

They have filled the connector with di-electric grease, but the back side of the connector is still open to the environment and prone to water intrusion. I am going to try to fill the back of the connector with silicone sealant to try and seal it. We'll see!!

Such a poor design

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have a fundamental problem, DC current plus moisture = corrosion. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time, sometimes a bit more, but it will happen. I follow a guy on Youtube who is an electronics wizard and even he has to rebuild his garden lights every year because the DC current from the battery to the LED will kill them in a few months and that's a lot less than 12V.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m on my third set of control modules (2 awnings). They have failed too and need to get it back to the dealer. They failed within 2 or 3 days of getting them โ€œfixed/replacedโ€. One of my awnings wonโ€™t even work with inside controller. Iโ€™m convinced the plug is what needs replacing then sealed properly or a new plug that is sealed from factory. Very frustrating.

RVNewbie4now
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you from experience that the "fix" for this recall in inadequate to say the least. Got my smartarm fix taken care of then headed out on the road 2 days later. Pulled into the sight on a sunny day. Used the outside controller to put out the awning. Dampness, not rain, set in that night and the next morning, Lo and Behold, the Smartarm had no power to it. Inside controllers worked just fine. Back to the dealer 2 weeks later and was told the module had failed due to moisture. So, so much for the recall fix. Maybe a new type of switch is in development. Could happen.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try removing the connectors and replace them with waterproof connections.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update. Back at dealer already. Both awning smart arms malfunctioning already. Used lots of dielectric grease and even tried sealing the top of the connector with liquid tape to prevent water from getting in through top of connector. Lights are blinking on the controller arm. LED speaker lights came on and stay on by themselves. Can't turn awning lights on from switches inside.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Use lots of dielectric grease and hope for the best....
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP