cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart brake

SWJ
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with the smart braking system? Am new to rv’ing and am looking into a toad.
https://www.smartbrakellc.com
8 REPLIES 8

SWJ
Explorer
Explorer
travisc wrote:
Have you ever decided what your going to do? I'm wondering about this one too- measure the difference between invisibrake and stay and play duo- each have things I don't like about them- not much info on this one-

I bought a 2012 Fiat 500C. Only 41,000 miles, really clean 5 speed. Haven’t decided on a tow solution yet. So far I like the Stay in Play, Ready Brake or the iRV3. Only concern on Ready Brake is installation on Fiat might be difficult.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever decided what your going to do? I'm wondering about this one too- measure the difference between invisibrake and stay and play duo- each have things I don't like about them- not much info on this one-
Winnebago Access 24V

SWJ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I plan on doing the install myself. I’m a pretty good backyard mechanic. Am looking close at the Ready Brute but am still curious about the performance of the Smart Brake. Haven’t bought anything yet so might get lucky and find a toad already set up.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Cost and are you doing the install on the RV AND the towed?
Base plate is a wash.
Ready Brute is tow bar and braking system $1500 and a handy person can install.
Lights are a wash also.

LEN

SWJ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they (Smart Brake and Unified Tow Brake) are similar but made by different companies. The Smart Brake looks easier to install with everything under the hood of the toad.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Smartbrake is an updated version of the Unified Tow Brake. Smartbrake doesn't seem to be able to get much market penetration.

SWJ
Explorer
Explorer
That’s one option, the Ready Brake. But the Smart Brake uses an electric brake controller. Seem like a great way to do it. Can be adjusted and controlled from the drivers seat.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which system are you looking at the surge brake or the electrical brake? The surge brake (ready brake) get's good reviews on here from people that own them. If I were to get a brake system this is the one I would get. I would opt for a steel tow bar over Aluminum only to get the higher capacity.