cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slab sinking

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a relatively new concrete slab that is about 23 by 13'. It is built on a bit of a grade with coordinated drainage pipe underneath.

It really is two pieces, 12x13 each. I noticed the side closer to the slope sunk about 1/4" to *gasp* 1/2" near the center where they meet after backing up into it and then changing direction again. (There is a perpenducular crack in the center to so it isn't sinking evenly)

Any thoughts?
20 REPLIES 20

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
You are lucky it's just a slab. One corner of my home foundation has sunk, as much as 1/2" depending on the season. From what I read it's going to cost $thousands to have it jacked up and stabilized. Contractors....

Haha. Actually I *think* I have that problem as well. 100+ year old brick home. Helical piers anyone?

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
What is coordinated pipe? Do you mean corrugated pipe; if so, and it is under the section that is sinking, it may have collapsed.

Actually I meant to say perforated pipe. I have looked down from the side where it comes out on the slope and looks ok. Will try my Depstech scope for more details.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Live with it, what is it hurting???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
There are companies that will drill it and shoot expanding foam under it to lift it. Probably some diy people on YouTube

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Missionstreet wrote:
(There is a perpenducular crack in the center to so it isn't sinking evenly)
Any thoughts?

Concrete has two guarantees, it gets hard and it cracks.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
The contractor I used was vdcconcrete.com. maybe $300.
Pm me if you want specific details.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
The foam injection method is "Uretek " here in Texas. I had them level a carport slab several years ago and it stayed put.

Google Uretek and I bet they have a presence in your area.

Good luck.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
What is coordinated pipe? Do you mean corrugated pipe; if so, and it is under the section that is sinking, it may have collapsed.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
You are lucky it's just a slab. One corner of my home foundation has sunk, as much as 1/2" depending on the season. From what I read it's going to cost $thousands to have it jacked up and stabilized. Contractors....

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
I had my driveway raised by the injection method. Very happy with the result, and it was a lot cheaper than I expected.

Would you mind sharing any more details?

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I had my driveway raised by the injection method. Very happy with the result, and it was a lot cheaper than I expected.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A couple potential issues:
- The base wasn't well compacted and now it's compacting. As long as it stops and it isn't pooling water badly or otherwise causing problems, I would just live with it. If it gets bad or otherwise starts bothering you, yes, you can have a residential paving company come out and use injection to compensate for the sinking.
- How thick is the concrete? 4" thick and you can expect a 12x13ft flag to crack. There's a reason sidewalks typically have a 4-5ft joint spacing.
- Are there any signs of water washing away the base material? If yes, you need to stop that or it likely will continue to get worse.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Sure a little uneven don't bother me. As long as it's not going to move enough to cause issues.

I have heard of polylevel something. I think foam injection that lifts concrete? Maybe cheaper than other alternatives?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you just live with it? It might be pretty pricey to correct.
Puma 30RKSS