cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Site squatters

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
I'll say this is a first for me. Showed up at the campground Friday night where I had a reservation, had a map of the campground since I hadn't been there before, and... There's somebody's truck parked in the middle of our site. Double check the reservation e-mail, and yeah, that's our site all right. Fortunately, when I asked the folks next door if that was their truck, they were apologetic about it and quickly moved the truck out of our site. I'm just glad they were around, since they disappeared for most of Saturday.

You would think that if the campground had a sign out front saying they were full, one could infer that that empty site might not stay empty, so parking on a site you didn't reserve might not be a good idea.
39 REPLIES 39

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
opnspaces wrote:
For the OP posting I would assume that since the site was currently empty the offender put the truck there while setting up camp. Then life got in the way and they forgot to move it once done setting up.

The fact that they were apologetic lends credence to that fact.

The people tearing up the sticker and possibly going with the "posse

That's basically my thoughts too. Much ado about nothing.

If it's first come first serve...we usually set up then pay.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boomerweps wrote:
Life without parole has less meaning the older I get ;(

Moderators: We *need* a like button here!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
For the OP posting I would assume that since the site was currently empty the offender put the truck there while setting up camp. Then life got in the way and they forgot to move it once done setting up.

The fact that they were apologetic lends credence to that fact.

The people tearing up the sticker and possibly going with the "posse
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
sparkydave wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
Because of scenarios like this, we always keep a couple of $9.99 WalMart camp chairs and an old tablecloth to put out so that the site shows that it is occupied.
It's seems to be effective as we have never had someone try to take our space, but if we lose the chairs and tablecloth we aren't out much.

How do you put table and chairs in a reserved site before you get there?

Oops, I was actually referring to the scenario that agesilaus described. If we went sightseeing for the day in our small MH, we make sure that the chairs and tablecloth are out so the site looks occupied.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
Because of scenarios like this, we always keep a couple of $9.99 WalMart camp chairs and an old tablecloth to put out so that the site shows that it is occupied.
It's seems to be effective as we have never had someone try to take our space, but if we lose the chairs and tablecloth we aren't out much.

How do you put table and chairs in a reserved site before you get there?

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
A state park we used to camp at had a rule that you had to occupy the site the first night, and some other rule I don't remember, but it led to people would drive there, and put out a couple of camp chairs and a kids tent to "occupy the site". A few days later people would show up with the camper.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Life without parole has less meaning the older I get ;(
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
After 1 experience am going to start carrying crime scene tape and chalk to make the outline of a body. Would stop most but not a lot of these entitled young people.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We reserved a BLM FHU site a week ago today, paid and left the envelope flap on the post at the site. Went off to pickup up our TT and bring it back. Came directly back and found another TT already set up in our spot. Which is a pullout next to the river one of only two in the camp. There were 5 or 6 other empty sites available.
Knocked on door and told them it was our spot. Got a hostile response. Tyrus out that they took our reservation off the post added their own and gave ours the toss. We paid for one week. Had to get the host involved after a lot of arm waving the finally slowly moved to another spot. Got a "Hope you are satisfied comment from the woman.
The guy said the site was empty therefore it was his right to take it. Wonder if they have heard of Class A, B or C campers w/o a towed. The rule of course is that you must spend the first night in the site.
Host suggested getting an "Occupied"" tag from him next time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper