cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Roof Tape

Houston_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had my RV since new and just purchased Extreme White RV Roof repair tape for the roof seems. Really tired of the Dicore cracking all the time. The guy at camping world said it was the same as Eternabond and would be a permanent fix. The tape comes with a 15 year warranty too. So it must be good right? My questions are for the people that have used the roof tapes for permanent leak repairs (Eternabond or CoFair Extreme tapes).
1. How well has it held up on your rigs?
2. Was it difficult to apply aside from applying proper pressure and having a clean surface?
3. How happy are you with it?
I’ve had my RV parked for a few months and just found a leak that’s only effected a small part of the cabinet at the front cap. My hope is that I can use this stuff as a permanent seal over all the Dicore on the roof. Including vents, skylights, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Have a safe trip!

Joey & Nick
2006 Lexington GTS 270S
"The Dragonfly Inn"
13 REPLIES 13

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The salesman might not even own a RV, much less really know much about a product he sells. Tread with caution when dealing with sales people.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Extreme tape and it IS Eternabond. For me, it just gives me a lot of peace of mind.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also did all seams and around vents etc with eternabond tape several years ago after the refrigerator vent leaked. Haven't had any problem since.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
I put Eternabond on all the seams and roof penetrations on my trailer shortly after I purchased it new in 2004. The tape is still holding up well today and has never leaked in 17 years.

I did paint over the tape several years ago with a liquid rubber product to protect my rubber roof for a few more years. It has held up well under that product also.
I purchase the tape from Best Materials who had the cheapest price at the time. Probably still does! 🙂
Barney

That is good to hear, since I did the same with my 5th wheel. I wanted to get it protected when it was still "new", and we did buy ours new.

OP, I have never heard of the brand the you mentioned, but I had also used Eternabond on our last 5th wheel. It doesn't cost that much if you just want to go with Eternabond instead of the stuff that is "just as good". That always raises a red flag with me.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I have used Eternabond for several years. It stops leaks permanently.
It's easy to apply and holds up well.
I have never heard of the tape you purchased. Let us know how it works.

Ditto on "never heard of the tape you (OP) purchased" either!!

*Eternabond*- is my success story, no reason to try any other or know how -or if- it works.

Try a search last 12 months and archives (over 1 yr old) for Eternabond.
(The name kinda says it all !!).

:W

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put Eternabond on all the seams and roof penetrations on my trailer shortly after I purchased it new in 2004. The tape is still holding up well today and has never leaked in 17 years.

I did paint over the tape several years ago with a liquid rubber product to protect my rubber roof for a few more years. It has held up well under that product also.
I purchase the tape from Best Materials who had the cheapest price at the time. Probably still does! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is a good product, think I have seen the other you mentioned and believe it is made by one of the larger suppliers. As mentioned get all other residue off then clean with naptha or other good comparable cleaner. When it is down it is very hard to move, using a roller to press down is helpful to get a good adhesion. I have some that has been in place over 5 years that is starting to crack on top but it is still doing the job.

Houston_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input @theoldwizard1, but can you please clarify... Have you used the products I’ve mentioned?
Have a safe trip!

Joey & Nick
2006 Lexington GTS 270S
"The Dragonfly Inn"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Camping Guys wrote:
The guy at camping world said it was the same as Eternabond and would be a permanent fix. The tape comes with a 15 year warranty too.

"I'm from Missouri. Show me !"

I have yet to see ANY tape/caulk/sealant that is truly waterproof "forever" ! (Read the fine print on that warranty !) I am not saying that product is bad, but it is probably no better than other comparable products.

To start with, I am NOT a fan of EPDM roof, especially the way lap joints and roof penetrations are done and the heavy reliance on tape and sealants. TPO, especially commercial grade, using is "heat welding" on all joints. Roof penetration should be mounted on a "curb", above the actual roof. These curbs can use pre-formed corners that are welded to the rest of the roof surface.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used Eternabond for years and swear by it. Never had a leak on any of the motorhomes I've owned after applying Eternabond.

I clean the surface with BrakeClean. It dries in seconds and leaves no residue. I also use a hard roller on the tape after applying it.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If someone claims “as good as” I run the other way.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for Extreme White RV Roof tape, but I've used Eternabond on all my RVs and been very happy. Good preparation and planning is key, as you mentioned making sure all surfaces are clean and having the right tools (one of those rollers for laying down lineoleum is very useful for getting enough pressure). Start slowly and make sure you correct your line as you go, once the tape is down it is down, and I've had plenty of creases. It doesn't need to look pretty (but nice if it does), as long as it covers all the seams. Don't forget to do any slides too.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Eternabond for several years. It stops leaks permanently.
It's easy to apply and holds up well.
I have never heard of the tape you purchased. Let us know how it works.