cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I too believe the correction is going to happen in early '09, but it will not happen before the entire world economic picture is one of recession / depression. How far will it drop, that really depends on where it peaks, I fully believe it will drop around 50% and hold. OPEC and others would drastically cut production if it were to start to fall any farther. There will be no $20 oil. I say that given the fact that it costs considerably more than that to produce a barrel of oil from the tar sands of Canada that is suitable for fuel production, and Canada is our largest supplier. So one can wave goodbye to that. Of course all this is just my humble opinion.:B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

stevenicoldeact
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:
...I'm willing to bet the oil bubble will burst and by the end of the summer you will see oil back down to under 100 dollars a barrel. Or at least after the election, LOL.

Sam

Sam,

Could you please give us some more information on how there is an "oil bubble" that will burst. As a retired finance guy, when I play the "price movement" number game with Raw Crude on the NYSE, I see an upward correction that started around 55 bbl., which will peak sometime in early 2009; after this, I predict a price drop of no more than 38%.

So, if the BBL price peaks at $188, the bbl price will stablize somewhere around $132.00, then fall into Elliott 5 wave price movement like it has since the late 1970s.

We'll see. I sure hope that you're right, with a big bubble burst, and oil falling below $20 bbl. LOL

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Forget who is running for president. Go after the rep's and senators. They are the ones, who continually foul up the government. Too much credit or blame is placed on presidents. President's can only propose solutions, it takes Congress to muck it up. Tax cuts after 9/11 were good, but there were no corresponding spending cuts. Any dummy that knows anything, knows that there should have been. Yes revenues increased, just not as fast as spending. If that is called reckless for a family, what is it called for a government? The vaunted earmarks that virtually all elected officials pursue and protect is just a form of bribery of their constituents to keep reelecting them. When Members of Congress start uttering words like "nationalization" when discussions arise regarding the oil industry, see it for what it is, a soon to be way to increase taxes on fuel, it would become a boondoggle for spending. As an example, look what most governments have done with the money they are getting from the settlement with the cigarette companies. Have they put it aside for the expected health care costs of those who have smoked? NOPE. They have put it into their General Funds and have spent it on their pet projects. One has to look no farther than that to see what would happen with nationalization of the oil industry. There are politicians, from both sides, who are privately salivating at the mere thought of that CASH COW. You don't want to let them have it.

As to oil companies and their greed, probably should check your retirement accounts and see just how much of that greed is really you. You might just be amazed how greedy you actually are. One of the largest retirement funds in the country, has an enormous amount of money in the energy business, as do other retirement funds. If those companies were to be nationalized, there would a lot of mad, retired Californians and union members across the country. People should really be careful what they ask for, they just might get it.
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
I think this tread should be left alone, within reason. Its whole purpose is to give people a place to vent so they don't clog up the main board.

It's easy to be cynical in these times but in the long run this could be a good thing as we have been massive energy wasters for too long. If we can start producing all are own oil and drive more fuel efficient vehicles than we are all going to be better off. Now we just have to hope that can happen before the whole country goes in the toilet.

But I'm willing to bet the oil bubble will burst and by the end of the summer you will see oil back down to under 100 dollars a barrel. Or at least after the election, LOL.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

rshidler
Explorer
Explorer
bp19 wrote:

Sure it does - just a tongue and cheek comment among guys who are the world's biggest fuel guzzlers - us! I am not an environmentalist - I'm a Texas Baptist who believes everything on the planet is for our use, as the Book says - and it's finite; we're expected to use it up.

Your assumption is that RVers are the biggest fuel guzzlers is not necessarily true. What you are believing about yourself is part of the lie of the envoronmentalist wackos. A family of four driving their RV is using about same amount of fuel as their airtrip on a 400 mile trip flown in a 737. How much energy does it takes to build the airplane or the RV or the hotels needed to stay in for that family that flew? Start thinking logically about this.

Conservation with good energy policy.

One thing we can do,,,But the other thing congress must do. Don't hold out any hope with Maxine Waters as part of the leadership. She is an idiot along with the others that yell when it cost them $70 to fill their tank (and then blame the oil execs).

Why do people compare RV's to Jumbo Jets?

The original poster in this quote stated RV'ers were the "world's biggest fuel guzzlers." I tend to agree. But then the next poster stated an RV carrying a family of 4 uses about the same amount of fuel as that same family of 4 riding in a 737. I've seen this same type of comparison many times. What is the deal? Apparently people only know how to drive an RV. If no RV available, then hop a 737.

Any possibility that this same family of 4 parks their fuel guzzeling RV and jumps in their sedan and drives the same distance at a more econimical mpg?

Maybe, just maybe, people can drive a sedan in a similar manner to driving an RV. Let's not assume they automatically jump into a jumbo jet.
Bob & Jamie
-----------
- Don't sweat petty things ... and don't pet sweaty things!
- I can't be troubled with your business ... I'm far too busy tending to my own!
- Remember, just because you saw it on the internet doesn't make it so!

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
eltejano1 wrote:
Today we're much more diverse, not only ethnically but culturally and politically as well, and that precludes the kind of "let's roll up our sleeves and get it done" attitude that prevailed then. We have been living in the lap of luxury for 60 years and we're spoiled rotten and utterly selfish, probably beyond repair. Last but not least, in those days, the country was also bonded together by a common set of values and a common religion.

Jack

Totally agree with Jack. Thanks to our cultural and religious diversity, there's no common cause existing in this country today. Instead, our so-called "leaders" spend their efforts getting rich and being politically "correct" (whatever that means). Meanwhile, the country is so fragmented politically and culturally, that very little meaningful gets done. America's glory days have passed into history and we're now well on our way to becoming a "2nd world" country. Obviously, I could go on and on, but you already know the story.

The only realistic solution for me is to escape America and try to enjoy my remaining years living in a society I can believe in and relate to. America ain't it! If you agree, check this out.

Yeah, I admit, I've become a cynical old curmudgeon.

H_1
Explorer
Explorer
It's convenient to think of things in the past as always being one way or the other, but we should remember that Lincoln's funeral train avoided Cincinnati because of concerns for northern Copperheads - and this after the war was all but over! 1940 had its own share of debate and disagreement - had it not been so, the US would have responded differently to Chamberlain's appeal from Munich in '37.

Ultimately, conservation and moderation are not crimes, pursuing new sources for energy is prudence against future fluctuations of this sort, and encouraging our overweight bottoms to do some self-propelled motion to stores and parks is just common sense.

Does this mean that people shouldn't go RVing? Of course not. We have a 6L truck with a 31' trailer. On a good day we'll see 12mpg, more often it's around 11. We can plan around this. I may not like it, but we can plan. And we do.

Is the oil in these new reserves recoverable? In all likelihood, but at what cost remains to be seen. It may pan out to be $140-145 given today's price of 2016 oil futures; it may not.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
Sea Dog, to listen to you, America has no options, guess we should just stick our heads in the "tar sands". We are special in the good old US of A, maybe not as special as we think, but we are. We have for the most part solved more problems, then we have created. Not many countries can say that, can they? Given a little time and hard work, we in America can get it done, we always do. We have been lax in this country about not having an energy policy, it is about time we all get on the train and get it done. We have options, it is time we start exercising them.
On this Memorial Day in America, Top, let's remind the world that we're the only country in modern history willing to lead by dying abroad fighting for other's freedom around the globe.

No country has ever had the goodness to extend to the world the freedom we enjoy, as the United States has.

I believe the United States will figure this oil thing out, before any other country would, and that, the rest of the globe can depend on.

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Jack,
If FDR had today's congress we might be speaking German today. Sad!
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing I do have faith in and that is greed. There is a trillion(maybe more) barrels of oil sitting in the middle of nowhere in this country. If oil holds at 100 dollars a barrel you will see the largest construction project since Genoa steel(Utah) in WW2, which I believe was built in 2 years and was the largest construction project of its time. Its sole purpose was to insure we had a steel supply that could not be targeted by the enemy. As with almost every other steel plant, it was sold to the Chinese and dismantled.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Sam wrote:
with the proper leader at the helm we can make things happen that will keep everyone happy, well not everyone but you get the idea.

Right on target, Sam. In no small measure, that liberty ship was built in one week because of the leadeship of FDR. One encouraging thing - throughout the history of the USA, when the chips were really down where the very survival of the country was at stake, a great leader has always emerged - Lincoln, Roosevelt, Washington, Jefferson.

Somehow, though, it's difficult seeing anyone who's capable of commanding that kind of respect in today's culturally fractured society. I really think the cement that bonded the people in those times was a common religion, or at least the values that stemmed from that universally accepted belief system - just like in Islam today. But no use to worry about that - it's long gone in our society.

Maybe our free enterprise system can bail us out. That's about the only hope we have.

Jack

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with both Sea Dog and Sam. It can be done, to be sure, but only by a united and committed country that's willing to make sacrifices. I remember the war years as a child. The sacrifices were horrific - very little gas available, virtually no recreation and even things like sugar were severely restricted. I recall my mother fighting with a women in the store over a jar of mayonnaise! Somehow, I just can't see our generation rising to a challenge like that. I hope I'm wrong.

9-11 was similar to Pearl Harbor and, for a few weeks, it appeared that americans stil had the right stuff. But the dedication evaporated very quickly when they realized it meant sacrificing the lives of our sons and daughters and a very large chunk of our national wealth. In the forties we were a relatively homogeneous society, largely rural and toughened by the rigors of a 12 year depression. Today we're much more diverse, not only ethnically but culturally and politically as well, and that precludes the kind of "let's roll up our sleeves and get it done" attitude that prevailed then. We have been living in the lap of luxury for 60 years and we're spoiled rotten and utterly selfish, probably beyond repair. Last but not least, in those days, the country was also bonded together by a common set of values and a common religion. The demise of christianity, which some see as a positive thing, also weakened this nation's ability to face struggles and challenges like wars, depressions and fuel crises.

So, I agree with Sam that it could be done - and would have been done in 1940 - but Sea Dog is also right in expressing pessimism that it will be done. I wouldn't want to bet the family jewels on America anymore - and it hurts deeply to say that.

Jack

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
I think we have to attack this on two fronts. We need fuel efficient vehicles, there is no getting around that. We can easily produce 50+ MPG vehicles and that should be the requirement for all vehicles under 4000 pounds sold in this country. The RVs could easily get 14 MPG on diesel, we might have to scale down to 34 footers but it can be done. Or we can say bye bye to the RV industry.

Just throwing more fuel at the problem will not get it done but with the proper leader at the helm we can make things happen that will keep everyone happy, well not everyone but you get the idea.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
"When the man on the moon and building ships in a week was taking place, everyone was on the same page."

It is easy to be on the same page, when you are guaranteed your costs + 10%.:B

But then, that would all be part of getting it done.
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

stevenicoldeact
Explorer
Explorer
eltejano1 wrote:
...I think we should be able to take Iraqi oil at a special price and be allowed to establish a permanent air base in Iraq after we got rid of their dictator. And Kuwait should at least be giving us a substantial discount.

Jack

...Great idea, now get the rest of the world to buy it.