cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running CPAP Without Utilities

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
How do you operate your CPAP machine when not hooked up to power? Please be specific if you have found a way that works; particlarly when boondocking for several days Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
My son uses a Jackery 1000 for his Dream Machine. It uses 6% of a full charge for one night. He also has the optional portable solar panel to charge it. He has a cigarette lighter type power cord that plugs right into the 12V Jackery port.

I was going to suggest a Bluetti, I knew there were others but could not remember the names, Jackery is quite popular. They are expensive but some of the larger ones would run the CPAP and an electric blanket for days on end, especially if you used a portable solar panel to top it off during the day.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Will something like this work? Jackery Explorer 290
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a battery pack from the same company that makes the CPAP. Hooks directly to CPAP. Cost was $200. Lasted about 2 nights, then I charge it up with my generatotor. Next I purchased a GOAL Zero 400 lithium generator. I c@n run my CPAP 5 nights. Cost was $500. Plus I can use the Goal Zero for other thing# also. If you use a lead acid battery be aware of the gas that is discharged when you charge it and also very heavy. Lithium battery weight 10% of lead acid. I purchased a 50aH Battle Born lithium battery and it weighs 17 pound. I will run my CPAP FOR 5 days. Cost $525. Lithium battery do not discharge ant gas when charging. Battle Born batteries are guaranteed for 10 years. The best lead acid battery May run 3-4 years.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. Some good stuff. Looks like I have some options to investigate. Thanks again.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
We both are on CPAP. When dry camping in the motorhome, we run the machines on 12VDC. The two T-105 house batteries will run both machines overnight with no problems. We don't mess with shutting down the humidifiers.
During the day, I run the generator long enough to recharge the batteries, run the AC, use the microwave, etc.
It works for us.

Only one CPAP here and my two T105's don't even show a reduction in charge overnight and I use the humidifier and a heated hose. My usual 1 hour generator run in the mornings for coffee and a little TV tops the batteries off again. Works for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A motorcycle battery will work.
A friend brought his CPAP on a week long canoe trip.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
a hint for humidifer. on many units you can turn off the humidifier but leave the water chamber attached. so..... fill the water chamber with warm/hot water before going to bed and turn off the humidifier heat. you will still get some humidification from airflow over the water chamber.

And my CPAP has an optional insulating wrap for the hose, using that helps when the hose heat is not used and reduces power draw when the hose heat is used.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Run the wifeโ€™s ASV on the biggest 12v AGM motorcycle battery I could find. Bought the 12v converter with battery clips. No humidifier.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s plenty of info online for nearly every xPAP on clinician settings. Turning off the humidifier is a very simple change and has no bearing on pressures or other settings. I leave mine connected but the heat off so it runs like a passover humidifier.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
With the CPAP I have the humidifier half can be unhooked and the hose connected to the back output that formerly connected to the humidifier. I bought a 12 volt adapter cable and I run that off a dedicated 65 Ah AGM battery. Without the humidifier the power consumption is low and I can run 5 nights no problem without recharging. Could probably stretch it to 7 if needed.

I found wetting the nose piece helps with the lack of humidifier.

Have dry camped about 25 nights this season with this setup.

you might be able to just leave the two connected and dial the humidifier down to off. it will then just work as a passover unit?
bumpy

Doc wouldnโ€™t enable the ability to shutoff the humidifier, said split it apart instead.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We both are on CPAP. When dry camping in the motorhome, we run the machines on 12VDC. The two T-105 house batteries will run both machines overnight with no problems. We don't mess with shutting down the humidifiers.
During the day, I run the generator long enough to recharge the batteries, run the AC, use the microwave, etc.
It works for us.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
With the CPAP I have the humidifier half can be unhooked and the hose connected to the back output that formerly connected to the humidifier. I bought a 12 volt adapter cable and I run that off a dedicated 65 Ah AGM battery. Without the humidifier the power consumption is low and I can run 5 nights no problem without recharging. Could probably stretch it to 7 if needed.

you might be able to just leave the two connected and dial the humidifier down to off. it will then just work as a passover unit?
bumpy

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
As mentioned some CPAP machines are 12 volt and are much more efficient than those that require an inverter and 120 volts. There is also a big variation in power consumption for the humidifer module. Typically the humidifer will consume as much or more than the blower. Some CPAPs even come with heated tubing. I cannot imagine how much power that would take.

Getting accurate data on your specific unit can be difficult. Typically the Respironics manuals show maximum power needs. An efficient 12 v unit can use as little as 25 AH/night, maybe 50 with the humidify on a relatively low setting. Plan on draining a typical car sized battery to 50% or less every night or at most every 2 nights.

my resmed unit if I turn off the humidifer and tube heater and run it from 12V draws less than 1A DC. 6-8AH/night. Now turn on the humidifer, another story, easily hit 25-30AH in one night.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!