cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof fan

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace the OEM fan in RV, any ideas on which fan is the best to us as a replacement 14x14
19 REPLIES 19

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Just replaced my old Fantastic with a new Fantastic.

Looks like the same unit we replace two weeks ago. rain sensor, 7 speeds, and remote. It's now not called the fantastic fan but renamed by whoever bought them out. Thought it might cost59.00 to replaces, a figure I seem to remember from about 2006.RV Dealer wanted 495.00 or some such and would have to order .CW in Michigan had one left and apparently wanted to get rid of it.299.00 which is still way too much.
If you can't use the old trim we would have had to cut it down about a quarter inch. Can't figure out how to cut that plastic to use under another fan in the coach.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced my old Fantastic with a new Fantastic.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for input. We kind of like the looks and operation of the Maxair 7500, has auto cover and remote for the D/W. I guess we will see if it does the job

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the Hengs in a couple trailers now, they are a super easy retrofit, just a couple screws from the inside. Being in Seattle where it rains alot, we put vent covers on all our vents.... The last Hengs I did, I got a reversible PWM controller off ebay, makes a single speed fan a variable speed reversible fan.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to replace it - I recommend a fan with a remote. I remember many a night in our Class C with a "standard" Fantastic Fan, and feeling too cold and getting out of bed to turn the fan down or off. Brrrrr!
Our conversion van has a Fantastic Fan with remote - when it gets too chilly now, I simply turn down the fan from the snuggly warmth of the bed ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Winnebago or Itasca verify the fan size as they use a non-standard size. I just replaced one of mine and had to order from the Winnebago parts distributor because the normal replacement fans were about 1/4" to small.
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fantastic Fan was noted for many years for fantastic customer support. But they have new owners now and I do not know how the support is.

Maxx Air has a "Downdraft" fan. it blows down onto the roof. So what is the advatage. You can leave it open in a downpour and since it blows DOWN (not up) its rain proof. Where as the best fantastic fan will shut down and close if it detects rain. the Maxx Air simply does not care.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed one each Fantastic and Maxxair, and Have no complaints of either over 8 years. They both move a lot of air and do it relatively quietly.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
dtgunner7 wrote:
Need to replace the OEM fan in RV, any ideas on which fan is the best to us as a replacement 14x14

What do you have now? Is it the vent with the tiny fan in it? or is it a basic model Fantastic?

If a fantastic, you can get upgrade kits to replace everything but the frame and it all just screws in.

If it is the metal frame with the tiny fan in it, the Hengs others have mentioned is the easiest as you do not install a new frame.

If you are going to install a complete new fan, frame and all, my vote is for the MaxxFan Deluxe which has its own built in hood and can be left open in the rain, ans also driven with the fan open. Only issues is that the roof needs to be clear for 7 to 8 inches behind the existing vent.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have Fantastic Fans and have been happy with them.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a Hengs in two different campers now. We chose this method because the Hengs is a true retrofit, whereas the Fantastic Fan requires you to remove the existing vent (and possibly damage the roof and require resealing the roof). Ease of install won for me the first time, then the quality and air movement from Hengs made it super easy to use on my next camper too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxair 4500K. Reasonably quiet, has rain sensor and remote. The remote is actually the reason I chose it, vertically challenged DW could not reach it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Add a variable speed control and the Hengs is quite tolerable. It sounds like a jet engine otherwise. Of course it's moving a lot of air too. I'm very happy with the Hengs fan in our RV. We never have to run it high enough to be noisy. And the install was straight forward and simple.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The Hengs is easy to install, but incredibly noisy.