cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rhode Island Trailer Inspection - Learned something new

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I just got the CRD inspected, and I learned that my little diesel will pass in RI with the CEL Light on. But, while researching, I came across this...

RIDMV wrote:
Trailers that are 2001 or newer with a carrying capacity of 3,001 lbs or more require a title. A vehicle identification check (VIN) is required if the trailer is currently titled out of state. A safety inspection is required for all trailers 1,000 lbs & greater.

Providence Journal wrote:
Q: We own a 27-foot travel trailer which we tow behind our pickup truck. The travel trailer is registered with camper plates. Does R.I. law mandate that our camper be inspected yearly and that it have a valid inspection sticker affixed?
โ€” David, Harrisville
A: Yes, all trailers (camper, utility, freight, flatbed etc.) with a Gross Vehicle Weight of over 1,000 lbs. are required to pass inspection by June 30th each year. New trailers are exempt for 2 years or 24,000 miles. It is especially important to have travel trailers inspected as required due to the size and weight of these trailers and the fact that they put such an additional burden on the tow vehicles. The proper function and condition of the tires, braking, and suspension systems is critical.

Discussions on "Stripers Online"

Has anyone in this state REALLY gotten an inspection sticker??? I guess it has been a law on the books for quite some time. http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE31/31-38/31-38-14.HTM

I think I am going to spend the $11 just to cover my behind. If there was an accident, even if not my fault, I don't want a lawyer finding this out and coming after me with it.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized
2 REPLIES 2

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I don't know about RI but here in VA a trailer with no inspection sticker gets a ticket just like a car without one. I get all 3 of my trailers inspected every year.
There is this wack job in Henrico Co Va that runs dangeroustrailers.org and on YouTube and he finds uninspected trailers all the time. Some are pretty bad. Others, he is smoking too much crack. He never shows a travel trailer unless it is involved in a crash somewhere.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about RI but here in VA a trailer with no inspection sticker gets a ticket just like a car without one. I get all 3 of my trailers inspected every year.