cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residency and voters rights in South Dakota

Community Alumni
Not applicable
OK Let me try this:

Proposed bills House Bill 1232 and Senate Bill 124 contain language which will affect RVers who use South Dakota for their domicile, but most importantly will impede their right to vote.

Sponsored by Karla Lems, a District 16 Republican, HB1232 declares “the term, residence, means the place in which a person has fixed the person’s habitation and to which the person, whenever absent, intends to return.” Additionally, the bill states “no person may register to vote using a business location or campground as a registration address.”

Introduced by Julie Frye-Mueller, a Republican from District 30, SB124 is to “ensure that the address provided in the voter registration application is confirmed as a residence and not a commercial or industrial address…”

This is not the first time that South Dakota has had legislation along these lines introduced. Fortunately, similar bills have not been voted into law in the past. There may be a need to reach out to SD legislators. These bills are not out of committee yet.

House Bill 1232, Representative Karla Lems- Karla.Lems@sdlegislature.gov

Senate Bull 124, Senator Julie Frye-Mueller- Julie.FryeMueller@sdlegislature.gov

South Dakota proposes law to end full-time RVers’ domicile, voting rights

South Dakota has long been recognized as a haven for full-time RVers. With no state income tax, low fees on vehicle registration and other privileges, many RVers from other states have “set up shop” with one of the state’s many private mailbox services to officially establish residency there. But proposed legislation, if passed, will likely end such benefits for both existing and future full-timers.

Both a House and Senate bill would, for example, if passed as written, wipe out a full-time RVer’s ability to vote in the Mount Rushmore state. The other bill would essentially ban anyone from establishing residency there unless they actually lived in the state.

Just FYI

JimR
51 REPLIES 51

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Perzactly!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danger Don wrote:

A great deal of 2nd or 3rd generation folks on the public dole may also not be home on a day near the middle of week. They might be busy with hobbies such as Physical Fitness or buying seafood and Ribeyes with SNAP cards, or possibly even out looking for a job but I doubt it. Mail in voting is the best way for them to vote also.

If you would spend a little bit of time looking at any news media, other than Fox, you would know that when put under oath, where a lie could land them in jail all the talking heads knew they where lying about a pretty important news story. Maybe you believe the lies they are telling you about other things?

Danger_Don
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Find something constructive to do rather than sit around and gripe about politics. It’s a sign that you’re old and feeble.

If you think it is only the "old and feeble" who "sit around and gripe about politics," then you haven't been following the news reports about the social media crowd.

Sounds like you’re mKing excuses for being one of them! Lol

At age 18, when got my draft notice, I figured out that politics and politicians could drastically change my life. Served my time, was discharged before I was old enough to vote.
I have never understood how somebody that could tell me who got homeruns in the last 3 super bowls but can tell me who represents then in congress, and how they voted on any issue.

ronharmless wrote:
Gee, I can’t imagine how dead people and their imaginary friends could be disenfranchised. That’s all anyone is trying to stop from voting.

If that was the case, sounds good. But I have worked as Election Judge since I retired. For in person voting, a concealed carry permit is a valid ID, but ID issued by the state collage is not. Both are alive. A student, and workers on many jobs may not be home on a day near the middle of week. Mail in is best way for them to vote. Do you think US could respond to a threat if all troops went home first part of Nov?

BTW, many years of my life, I could not be sure where I would be on election day. And now I don't work at the polling place my address must vote, so I still vote early

A great deal of 2nd or 3rd generation folks on the public dole may also not be home on a day near the middle of week. They might be busy with hobbies such as Physical Fitness or buying seafood and Ribeyes with SNAP cards, or possibly even out looking for a job but I doubt it. Mail in voting is the best way for them to vote also.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
In Montana small towns have the ability to enact a local resort tax. The money stays in the community and can be used for a variety of local projects. A town where I owned a park put such a tax on the ballot. The town was a major tourist town with over 700,000 vehicles visitors each season. The tax is assessed on lodging, including RV stays less than 30 days. The community population is less than 800 and the eligible voter count less than 400. Those visitors put a huge strain on water, sewer, roadways and other visitor services. Heck, over $30,000 a year was spent keeping a public restroom facility clean and supplied using mostly volunteer labor. Prior to the vote it was discovered a local non profit entity that was opposed to the tax was encouraging out of town members to change their address to that non profits location which they could then use to register to vote against the proposal. In the end it was revealed that address had 48 registered voters even though it had no lodging facilities at all. The tax ultimately passed, but the vote was much closer than projected, likely due to those extra 48 votes. The county registrar office subsequently put out guidance that falsely claiming residency to vote is fraud and a crime.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Find something constructive to do rather than sit around and gripe about politics. It’s a sign that you’re old and feeble.

If you think it is only the "old and feeble" who "sit around and gripe about politics," then you haven't been following the news reports about the social media crowd.

At age 18, when got my draft notice, I figured out that politics and politicians could drastically change my life. Served my time, was discharged before I was old enough to vote.
I have never understood how somebody that could tell me who got homeruns in the last 3 super bowls but can tell me who represents then in congress, and how they voted on any issue.

ronharmless wrote:
Gee, I can’t imagine how dead people and their imaginary friends could be disenfranchised. That’s all anyone is trying to stop from voting.

If that was the case, sounds good. But I have worked as Election Judge since I retired. For in person voting, a concealed carry permit is a valid ID, but ID issued by the state collage is not. Both are alive. A student, and workers on many jobs may not be home on a day near the middle of week. Mail in is best way for them to vote. Do you think US could respond to a threat if all troops went home first part of Nov?

BTW, many years of my life, I could not be sure where I would be on election day. And now I don't work at the polling place my address must vote, so I still vote early

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
The question is why now?

Restricting the votes of absentees and mail voters is now in style around the country. The supporters of these bills don't like the way absentee voters vote so this in an attempt at disenfranchising them.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
And who says they don't?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
How would you like it if you had 2000 residents wanting something and 2500 non resident RV owners voted against it? You are paying for everything in local taxes and they are escaping that yet coming in to vote---or using a mail in ballot.

Wouldn't be ironic if the non residents got to vote on this bill?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
How would you like it if you had 2000 residents wanting something and 2500 non resident RV owners voted against it? You are paying for everything in local taxes and they are escaping that yet coming in to vote---or using a mail in ballot.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
The question is why now?

Because a local election pitted the small group of physically residing residents against another group that was made up of RV registered mail drop residents. The Judge did not take kindly to the failure of the election officials to challenge those non residing voter registrations since the law clearly states you can only vote if you swear you actually physically reside at that address. But when 2,500 registered voters names were given to the Judge all using the same little building as where they "reside", well you can imagine how well that went over.

Of course the election officials weren't going to take the blame, they basically said the state legislature is more interested in the revenue from this scheme than election and voter integrity. That pretty much hung the hypocrite banner over the state. So as with every time this has been made public, a bill is introduced to deal with it.

What is a bit different is this time a Judge actually got admission from people at one RV location to admit on the record they really don't live at the address, just came back to vote. This time the RV registration users were the one that turned the spotlight on themselves.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I can sum this up in one sentence. Find something constructive to do rather than sit around and gripe about politics. It’s a sign that you’re old and feeble. Don’t let people think that about you. You can change if you want.
My in-laws are like this now and it’s soooo annoying to those around them.

The first election I remember was Ike and Adlai in 56. I assure you following politics is not just for the old folks.
We did not opt for South Dakota for any tax breaks. Our former state did not tax retirement or SS funds Also the vehicle tax on our 5er, F350 tow and wife's Lil pickup is more than that of our previous domicile. Insurance is less so I see the higher vehicle taxes as a break even.

There maybe are those that are looking for relief from states that continue to suck their citizens dry for the pleasure of residing there even after they fed the beast during their earning years.

Now the advantage for South Dakota is they can claim us old folks which can bring Fed funds that can assist their year round seniors.

Hey Grit Dog ever slide down to Oregon to save on sales tax?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I can sum this up in one sentence. Find something constructive to do rather than sit around and gripe about politics. It’s a sign that you’re old and feeble. Don’t let people think that about you. You can change if you want.
My in-laws are like this now and it’s soooo annoying to those around them.