Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Renting out your RV nightmares.

roadtrek_in_DC
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Having only using my RV for twice a year for a week at a time. I found myself leaving my RV in the parking lot most of the year. I started renting out my RV. The experience wasn't as bad as I had thought but it is coming back each time with little more damage than I anticipated.
The last damage took out the under the vehicle's plumbing. Already spent $350 replacing a some plumbing and now the shop is telling me the black tank is damaged.
It is all covered by the insurance but the shop is telling me the replacement tank cannot be found due to Roadtrek going out of business early this year and the manufacturer also stop making the black tank for 2012 Roadtrek 190. The shop is looking in to other tank that might fit but the vehicle's low clearance is making it difficult to find an alternative. He also tells me the junk yard also does not have this particular model to pull a used tank.
I'm potentially looking at a RV without a black tank and the frustration is that it can't be fixed.
The insurance says they can only cover up to the damage and no more.
Does anyone have any suggestion?
The shop did say I can put in a compost toilet but I need a black tank.
30 REPLIES 30

In an old TT I was rebuilding, I needed the black tank due to a fracture around the neck at the toilet attachment point.
Old trailer, no parts available.

I went to my local RV service / parts store. People there were always helpful and great to deal with.

They had a catalog of generic tanks, made by some aftermarket company. I removed my old tank, took some careful measurements of the exact size, location of toilet flange, vent pipe and drain along with the desired sizes of all that and took this info to them.

They handed me the catalog to browse and I found a tank that was close to the same size. I gave them the diagram of where the holes needed to be and ordered the tank.

They took a generic off the shelf size tank and custom made it for my application. When it came back, it fit perfectly.

And it didn't break the bank to order. Don't remember what I paid for it but it was quite reasonable.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just cut a hole in the bottom.
Chances are the renters won't notice.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek,
Your tank CAN BE REPAIRED!! I have repaired mine twice. Take the tank out or have it taken out. Take it to a boat repair place.
PS: It takes different risen than fiberglass or clear poly. They will know that. Your tank is ABS material NOT fiberglass.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
roadtrek_in_DC, If you can describe or post pictures of the "damaged" tank we might be able to give a better suggestion. If you tank is made out of black ABS plastic take a look at the Plastimend web site. The stuff isn't cheap, but I can tell you from experience that it works and it works well. I did something stupid to my black tank and put a three inch slit into it. Plastimend and some fiberglass (only use fiberglass not aluminum screen) window screening sealed the tank. The patch basically melts itself into the tank and then dries and makes the tank whole again. If the repair shop isn't sure if the tank is ABS have them scrape some shavings off the outside of the tank and drop the shavings into acetone. If the shavings melt the plastimend should work.

Plastimend
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
I find it very hard to believe that there is not a replacement tank available for your RV. With a simple google search I found tons of black tank replacements in every configuration,and size conceivable. The price ranged from $75 on up. I cannot imagine it would be cheaper to take it to a specialty shop that would charge shop rates to remove-assess-repair-reinstall.

I would suggest you become familiar with simple fixes so you save some money. Nowadays you can Youtube just about any type of repair, and go from there.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the shop doesn't want to repair the tank because there is absolutely no upside for them. If they repair it and the repairs fail down the road, they are going to be blamed. Best option may be to have the shop remove the tank, the customer take it and get it repaired by someone other than the shop and have the shop reinstall it. They would probably have to sign a disclosure that relieved the shop of any liability. Realistically, a plastic tank that is not pressurized should be a fairly easy repair, especially if aesthetics are not a consideration. However, if it was shattered and major sections are missing, forget everything I just wrote.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you made enough money to make it worth it.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine does repairs on boats hulls both fibreglass and poly vinyl(?);
Take the tank out, take it to a boat shop and get their opinion.

They should be able to help you out.
Gerry

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
How much does "renting out your RV" insurance cost?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
wonder if your repair guy is just not all that motivated to finding a repair tank. I would ask what the damage is. If it's not affecting the drain hole then remove the tank and have it plastic welded. Or they can measure the existing tank, and find a replacement the same size or fairly close to put in. they might have to modify or build a new tank support. But I would think a competent shop should be able to handle that.
Here's the first two hits I got off a search.

Plasti-Mart.com

PlasticWaterTanks.com
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the black tank can be repaired? It doesn't have to be pretty, just leak free.

Possibly your shop does not want to mess around repairing the tank.
If you cannot find a replacement tank, I would look into plastic welding, glue, tape, J-B Weld or anything that can repair the black tank. It's worth trying.

Your damaged black tank reminds me of an old joke I read on the forum.
Q: what's the difference between a rental RV and an ATV?
A: the rental RV can go anywhere.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are you making any money for all this grief?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get a composting toilet. One with a Cassette.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
and start googling 'RV Salvage Yards' for your part. try Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage MO. and either stop renting your RV (best choice) or drastically increase your security deposit.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 thats the most no,,no. on the list never ever rent out your toys.