cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Regional Weirdness Examples

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are currently staying in the Phoenix area and, like many regions around the US, there are some unique customs and habits that would seem down right odd anywhere else. The single strangest thing we have noticed is:

Raking the rocks!

They take a rake and pull it through the gravel to make distinct lines and patterns. It is a weird custom but actually ends in a neat and tidy appearance that really spruces up a location.

What weird things have you spotted around the country?
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
116 REPLIES 116

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
michigansandzilla wrote:
Rice wrote:
Also crazy is the "Pittsburgh Left," where the first car turning left at a stoplight jumps the green (or relies on oncoming cars to yield because they know about the convention) to turn left before the oncoming traffic starts coming straight through.

That sounds scary.

In Michigan we oftentimes give directions saying, "Make a Michigan left," which really means that to turn left onto a road, you first have to turn right onto the road you want to get onto, then turn around at the boulevard.
Sound a little like a NJ "Jug handle", no left turns, you have to go right if you want to get onto the road on the left. :S :h Totally freaked me out the first time I saw it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kscaddo
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is from Eastern Wisconsin. While here in Texas we eat "sloppy joes", her people call them "hot tamales". I don't believe they would know a real tamale if they saw one. Also, when I barbeque, or grill, or smoke something, they say, "oh, you're having a fry-out". Always a fry-out, even if I'm up all night smoking a brisket. Go figure.

Regards
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2018 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins
Archibald of Appin the Scottie.:C

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting Indiana, seeing horse and buggies on the roads, and at the stores, was odd. In fact, that's something I had never seen before.

Out here, the suicide lanes (center turn lanes) that change from turn lanes to driving lanes at certain times of the day. To top it off, the driving direction changes, depending on the time of day.

Arizona: Almost ALL automobiles have darkly tinted windows. Colorado: Very few have tinted windows.

Rice is absolutely correct, the shoulders of our roadways are littered with serious debris. As a cyclist, I come across all sorts of crud out there - nails, screws, bolts, tools, carpet, car parts, steel belts (from tires), etc. It's a flat just waiting to happen.

Recently, my wife had to visit with a judge after receiving one of those little pink pieces of paper from an officer. The judge made it crystal clear, exceeding the speed limit is NEVER acceptable and emphasized the point to the other folks that stopped in to chat with him.

So, given his strong position on the law, isn't it odd that speeding is one of the only laws I can think of, where fellow citizens not only fully expect you to break the law, but are practically ready to run you off the road if you don't. Another thought - if the speed limit is 65 and you're driving 100, but others behind you want to drive 120, should you continue to pull to the right to let them by? These are just crazy things I ponder.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I still get this one in my travels. I'm a born and raised Cincinnatian. When we can't hear or we misunderstand something, we say "please?" Cincinnati has a rich German heritage. Germans say "Bitte?" Its short for please repeat.
I was leaning up against a wall at Mardi Gras smoking a cigarette. A young lady asked me for a cigarette, but I didn't hear her, so I said "Please?" She said "O.K. Please?" When I explained that I didn't hear her, she said "Oh, you're from Cincinnati and I asked for a cigarette."
I find it interesting that we live in the same country but we don't speak the same language.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
When I was stationed in New England while in the Navy, I ran into a language barrier.

In New England:

It is not pop or soda or a soft drink; it is tonic.

If you want a real "milk shake" (with ice cream), you have to order a "frappe".
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:
Also crazy is the "Pittsburgh Left," where the first car turning left at a stoplight jumps the green (or relies on oncoming cars to yield because they know about the convention) to turn left before the oncoming traffic starts coming straight through.

That sounds scary.

In Michigan we oftentimes give directions saying, "Make a Michigan left," which really means that to turn left onto a road, you first have to turn right onto the road you want to get onto, then turn around at the boulevard.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
Padeena wrote:
michigansandzilla wrote:
Only thing I've noticed is the difference of the use of the term coke, pop or soda.

In Michigan we don't say soda at all. Unless it's baking soda. We say pop, which can be any kind, coke, sprite, pepsi, etc.

Went to Florida once and asked for a pop and the cashier didn't know what I wanted!

Interesting... I've always equated the term 'soda', with Americans. We're east cost Canadians, and always use 'pop'. Maybe it's only eastern seaboard Americans that say 'soda'?

Here in GA, they used to all be "Coke." Not unusual to go into fast food place and order a coke and be asked what kind. Now, soda seems to be coming into favor.

Born and raised in FL. Same thing...always said a generic Coke for any carbonated drink, but also called them cold drinks. NEVER, EVER, EVER would have said soda or pop...still don't, but I agree, soda has come into favor. Probably because of all the northerners who've moved to FL.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

peajay
Explorer
Explorer
Waving to most all motorists is commonplace
Ranch dressing on fries is yummy....especially when it's fries and Ranch from Runza
Chili is more like a soup and is best served with cinnamon rolls
When meeting someone from somewhere else you immediately ask them "oh, Do you know such and such" because even though you may live in a city of over 100,000 you HAVE to know the one person I know from that same city"

And you only know what Runza is if you are from Nebraska

westend
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
westend wrote:
Here's the wierdness: If you're driving slower than everyone, why drive in the left most lane? It's not a PDL-Personal Driving Lane, it's the PASSING lane. Get out of the Rapture and get to the right!

Unfortunately that's not a regional thing. That's a pretty universal thing from coast to coast. I guess some people still think the US Gov't is giving away land to homesteaders... if they occupy it long enough, the government will give it to them.

I still believe that slow pokes in the left lane are the leading cause of slowing traffic, dangerous driving, road rage and collisions.
I was hoping it was only from the Lake Woebegone folks but I guess you're right.

Agreed on the anti-flow of traffic because of this. On a roadway covered with ice and poor visibility, it is a recipe for accidents. I can only assume that these left-lane-white-knucklers feel that it is safer in some regard to drive in the left lane. Practically, it makes no sense. The side of the road is the same distance from the side of your car, either right or left lanes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
Living in Northern California, we hear people from other states refer to San Francisco as "FRISCO". No one around here calls San Francisco "FRISCO".

When I was growing up in CA,the proper name for San Francisco was
simply "The City"
While I'm here...What is wierd about raking rocks?
And,Mac and Cheese witout ketchup/catsup is like Coke/RC without peanuts...They just go together!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
I put ketchup on mac and cheese - top that!

I put ice in my glass of milk. Apparently that's weird...
No it is not, milk tastes best cold, hot as in coco, or fresh from the cow. As for peanuts in coke, the salt reduces the carbonation making it easier to drink without burping. Ketchup finds its way on french fries, eggs, hamburgers, beef, hotdogs etc. It is away of hiding the taste of the food. It probably makes some of those foods edible.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Here's the wierdness: If you're driving slower than everyone, why drive in the left most lane? It's not a PDL-Personal Driving Lane, it's the PASSING lane. Get out of the Rapture and get to the right!

Unfortunately that's not a regional thing. That's a pretty universal thing from coast to coast. I guess some people still think the US Gov't is giving away land to homesteaders... if they occupy it long enough, the government will give it to them.

I still believe that slow pokes in the left lane are the leading cause of slowing traffic, dangerous driving, road rage and collisions.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is from PA and has a heavy German influence in her quirks. Never ices or refrigerates drinks...soda, tea, whatever. Prefers a cup of hot tea to coffee, and sweet tea is not in her vocabulary, except disparagingly.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a trip to the U of MN to hang with #2 Daughter. Every highway and Interstate is 2" of packed ice. Here's the wierdness: If you're driving slower than everyone, why drive in the left most lane? It's not a PDL-Personal Driving Lane, it's the PASSING lane. Get out of the Rapture and get to the right!

I saw 11 accidents before I cleared the Metro. 5 more between there and home.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
My husband grew up in Louisiana, and the weirdest thing he does that he blames on regional influence is putting peanuts in his Coke bottle before he drinks it.

I myself have lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life and therefore HAVE no weird regional habits. :B

That's not weird but it is Pepsi. Almost as good as Moon Pies and RC
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee