cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Queston on towing Smart Car

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 2009 and a 2014 Smart Car and have probably combined towed them 60,000mi on a dolly in neutral with never a problem. Today someone told DW that we could not do that as it would ruin either the transmission or the motor. I need not hear from anyone without actual experience but all we could find out years ago said it was ok to do it the way we have all these years. So, what do actual owners say.
9 REPLIES 9

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now that makes sense---

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 2008 smart car probably 50K miles over the years - parking brake off, transmission in N, and key turned as far counter-clockwise as possible. In 2009 the manufacturer recommended adding a battery disconnect because some people towed them without making sure the key was in the proper position and had major warranty claims.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Darryl I have a 14 and have probably towed it more than the '09. I also just a month or so ago got rid of a 16 that I also towed some. Someone wanted it more than I did and I didn't need 3 of them.....Tom says he disconnects his battery so I am sure he got that info somewhere and I was just curious as to what other OWNERS were doing.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
The '09 models only came with 1 transmission, the '14-up had 2 different transmissions. 1 transmission was towable, 1 wasn't. The untowable model would be destroyed in under 10 miles, so I'd say you're gold.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
After 60,000 miles Iโ€™d say it works well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Not an issue towing a smart car 4 down.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well like I said, between the 2 cars I have probably towed 60,000mi and all I ever did was put it in neutral--never unhooked the battery--and have never had any problems. Just got home last night after towing 1400mi. But today someone said that the battery should be unhooked. My manual says only to put it in neutral if towing 4 down or with the front wheels lifted. I was just trying to see what others have done. Unhooking the battery is no big deal if its the thing to do. Manual is not very clear. Thanks Tom

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When all else fails read the manual. Not trying to be a wise butt if the manual says you can do what youโ€™re doing then keep doing it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The transmission in the Smart is actually a manual gearbox that is electrically shifted, therefore you don't have the issues of a typical automatic transmission. You must leave it in neutral when towing. I tow my 2013 Smart with all 4 wheels down. Since the Smart is rear wheel drive, towing on a dolly would have the same issues. First put the transmission in neutral and then turn the key as far counter clockwise as it goes. It will not turn fully counter clockwise with the transmission in neutral and can not be removed. Wait for the instrument panel to go dark then disconnect the battery.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN