cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about freshwater tank use

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two TT previously. Between the two about 8 seasons of camping. I have never put a drop of water into a freshwater tank nor have I ever needed to. I have occasionally thought about if I needed to sanitize it or just leave it be. Well I just purchased a new unit and in an effort to prevent any issues I wanted to hear what others do. Do you keep a few gallons of sanitizing solution in it so it stays clean or what? I had a camping neighbor tell me once that he filled his up every time he set up camp just incase the campground lost water.
40 REPLIES 40

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
We also use ours for a "bug out trailer" since we live in a high fire danger area. Full water, fuel, batteries on charge, everything ready to go if we have to evac. Once fire season is over, I'll drain for the winter, and move freezable stuff into the house.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I guess everyone is different LOL. I have never stayed at a CG that didn’t have water available. Not that I’m against it, just none that I’m aware of around me for boondocking. As far as traveling we usually camp within a couple hours of the house so no need for stopping along the way. And if we do I just always pulled I to a convenience store or fast food joint.
So the tank on the new rig was filled for the PDI. If I use that and drain it, then say two years down the road i need it, I can just rinse, sanitize, and I’m good to go?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It's amazing to me how many people do not use their fresh tank fresh.
But I guess if you are a pedestal topedestal FHU camper you have no need for a fresh tank.
While I enjoy FHU camping,there are many great places in my area that are not FHU.Some are electric only sites.
When the weather dips below freezing often CG's will turn off water and require all campers to disconnect from the hose connection and use their fresh tanks to supply water to their RV.
If I did not use my fresh tank I would miss out on a lot of great camping spots.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As mentioned, if you never plan to use it...who cares.

That said, we use the tank and pump even on full hookup. Had an experience on our boat many years ago, heard a slight hissing sound late at night. Searched it out and found the city water had sprung a pinhole leak. If it hadn't been dead silent, it would have continued for hours or days without us noticing.

Running off the water tank with the pump, if there is a small leak, we will hear the pump kick over periodically alerting us that there is an issue. The RV may not sink but the floors can certainly rot out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you never put water in it, then there is no need to sanitize it. Putting a bleach solution in it and leaving it will be more damaging to the tank and leaving it dry.

If you plan on actually using the tank, then you could run a bleach/chlorine treatment through it now. If you don't leave the same water in the tank for months on end, you shouldn't need to sanitize him again.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It would be good to at least fill it once to make sure nothing leaks and the pump works properly and so forth.

Other than that, I sanitize if it's been some time (months) since I used the water system, and pretty much always fill it before heading out from home. I also more often than not camp without full hookups. It's really convenient in my opinion to have water available for use while en route; you can make a proper dinner and wash dishes afterwards, flush the toilet, or even take a shower while stopped at a rest area if needed. That said, if you don't have any use for water when not hooked up, then filling it is obviously extraneous work and there's no good argument for insisting on doing that.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
4 seasons in our 5th wheel and the fresh water tank has never seen a drop of water. Our campground has full hook ups and never had an issue. We do keep a few 3 gallon water jugs in the trailer for coffee.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 wrote:
I have had two TT previously. Between the two about 8 seasons of camping. I have never put a drop of water into a freshwater tank nor have I ever needed to. I have occasionally thought about if I needed to sanitize it or just leave it be. Well I just purchased a new unit and in an effort to prevent any issues I wanted to hear what others do. Do you keep a few gallons of sanitizing solution in it so it stays clean or what? I had a camping neighbor tell me once that he filled his up every time he set up camp just incase the campground lost water.

we've been RVing since 1986 and always keep the fresh water tank at least 2/3 full cuz we never know what the water situation will be at our next stop. IMO your fears and concerns about filling and using the water in the tank are unfounded. fill your tank and enjoy the freedom your RV affords you.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We keep water in the tank and drink it too. We also poop in the pooper and cook on the stove and in the oven.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we constantly use ours, even for drinking water, and haven't grown extra ears or anything. Drain it after every use, in the spring I sanitize with "spring fresh". Other than that we fill it before we leave home, drain when we get back.

We often go to sites w/o water, and in to many times we've been to campgrounds where there were water/power issues keeping those w/o tanks dry and dark.

It's SO nice to pull into a campground, unhook, relax and enjoy and not need to worry about water for a few days while we watch others spend time hooking up to water, single battery, so they need to plug in, etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We always keep water in ours. In winter the cold cuts water off on freeze nights. What do you do for water? When traveling and need to stop for restroom what do you do for water?