cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quarantine in RV?

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, as a 1st Responder in the medical field, I am planning for the worst....having to quarantine in my class B Xplorer. if the time comes.

I went ahead yesterday and started my Onan Genny 4000, but ran it out of fuel. Put in half a tank of gas in the RV and tried to start the genny again. No luck. All she does is turn, even after priming. is there another way of priming the genny after it runs out of fuel?

I want to have it ready if the day comes that I need to use it as a home for a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Stay Home and Stay Safe.
Virgil, May & Fred (the yellow Lab) ๐Ÿ™‚
16 REPLIES 16

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any luck with the generator? It's always nice to know what the problem was, and how it was solved.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sorry i know this doesnt answer your question but if you are using it at home as a lifeboat, why not plug it in?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Just to eliminate the obvious - how about filling the gas tank rather than "half full" guestimate.
Kevin

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a picture of the genny with the cover off?
You could pop open the drain on the carb if it has one. Put a plastic bottle under to catch the gasoline. Hit the prime button and see if gas come out.

If it doesnt ive had to remove the fuel line and use a mighty vac to suck the gas back through the line. You could use your mouth. Attach a separate clean piece of tube to the gas line. Clear is best so you have warning to stop when you see the gas.

Since it was running and then ran out of gas. Then wont start. Means either you clogged up the fuel filters or you need to self prime the gas back up. Could be a mixture of both. Might not be priming easily because the filter is partially clogged.

Easiest thing to do is pop the drain on the carb if that model has one. Put a rag or bottle under.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is gas. Not sure of OPs model but sounds like a Microlite 4000

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not familiar with this gen. Is it gasoline or diesel ?

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
check the oil level

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
Our onan has a primer, it will flood the carburetor if we hold it too long.
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you physically checked the carb to see if you have fuel in it? If it doesn't start, I wouldn't keep trying, all you'll do is overstress things. Check the easy stuff first: fuel in the carb, spark at the plug.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Minute steady is too long! Maybe fifteen seconds, then let off for 20-30 seconds and crank again.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that on my previous Onan 5500 and on my current Onan 8kw Quiet Diesel, holding down the Stop button will prime the system.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I would not crank it for a full minute. That may eventually lead to starter failure. Most gens say to crank for 10-15 seconds at a time with a minute or so in between. Check for spark and then use starting fluid to get it going. If it starts then stops, then you have a fuel delivery problem.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried cranking it for about a minute, can I crankfor a longer period of time? not sure if that can overheat the starter.
Virgil, May & Fred (the yellow Lab) ๐Ÿ™‚

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel, Spark, Compression and it will start. If one of those is missing it won't start. Check those three things before you use starting fluid.