Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
35 REPLIES 35

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
So, is there a safe method of fetching a 5-gallon propane container in my SUV?

Sort of, yes. Open all the windows, and (here's the biggy) DO NOT SMOKE OR LIGHT A CIGARETTE OR CIGAR!!! If it is too hot or cold to have the windows open, do it anyway. If you just absolutely HAVE to have a smoke (been there, did that), pull over and do it outside the car.

A similar occurrence happened in Great Falls, MT many years ago. A guy had a 20 lb. cylinder filled, loaded it in the back of his Jeep Wagoneer and headed for home. On the way, he decided to light up a cigar.
BAD mistake, with similar results!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Fbx-Ak
Explorer
Explorer
A propane tank can vent if it is filled in a cool place then moved to a warmer place. A renter burned down a cabin of mine that way once.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some product that should buff that right out all ready for the use car lot.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, Now I know, there's a lot of power in one of those little tanks.

I still carry them inside my camper though. I did buy some metal caps to screw on them and threw the plastic ones away.

Personally, I always though that those camper stoves where you can accidentally turn on the burner by bumping it look unsafe. All the newer house gas stoves are auto lighting.

And, on my oven you could leave the pilot light on with no flame and you would never know. But, it is such a small flame it would take a long time to fill the camper with enough gas to cause a problem.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
No hanging chads left in that vehicle.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be willing to bet that it didn't take much to do this. That heat was there and gone in 250ms, hence the survivors. You could likely get the same results on the average house with a small LP bottle since the gas will pool anyway. I've seen all windows and doors blown out twice, and one even blew the roof loose and dropped it down but rotated. Both from excessive Bug Bombs
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Theres absolutely enough gas in a disposable propane bottle to blow up a car. Buncha years ago, a buddy, living in his camper, wintertime in the mountains, lights his little propane radiant heater after coming home from the bar. He passes out. Heater goes out. He wakes up cold...click, click boom!

Showed up the next morning and he's outside with a camp fire tinkering with his snowmachine and his camper is missing a back door and a window and he has no eyebrows!

But yeah.......Flo rida!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
So a guy wanted on warrants, was driving a rental (that you arent supposed to smoke in), hauling a grill with propane attached to it yet, and his passenger (wife) lights a smoke......

Good stuff!

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Why is there so much stupid in Flordia?

LOL if you are going to make fun of people for being stupid, you have to at least spell correctly...haha

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
At least they weren't texting! Were they?
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Why is there so much stupid in Flordia?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
otrfun wrote:
"ORLANDO, Fla. - A propane tank being hauled in an SUV exploded Sunday afternoon when a passenger lit a cigarette while the vehicle was in front of the entrance to the Central Florida Fairgrounds, Orlando police said."

Seriously doubt the propane tank itself exploded. If it had, gotta wonder why these folks weren't killed instantly with deadly shrapnel.
IMO the leaking propane itself caused all the damage and injuries---leaving the propane tank intact.

My thoughts exactly. I also think this was most likely a one pound disposable cylinder, not a refillable 5 pounder. It was connected to the grill, and the knob was inadvertently opened when they loaded it in the SUV. The tank DID NOT explode. The propane inside the vehicle did.

:):)

Could a one pound cylinder get enough propane into a SUV that size to cause that big of a explosion ? After all vehicles are not air tight. It might well be able to, I don't know that is why I'm asking.

1 gallon (US) is equal to 0.13368 ft3

The ratio of expansion for propane from a liquid to gas is approximately 277:1, so 0.13368 ft3 liquid converts to 37.03 ft3 of gas
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
otrfun wrote:
"ORLANDO, Fla. - A propane tank being hauled in an SUV exploded Sunday afternoon when a passenger lit a cigarette while the vehicle was in front of the entrance to the Central Florida Fairgrounds, Orlando police said."

Seriously doubt the propane tank itself exploded. If it had, gotta wonder why these folks weren't killed instantly with deadly shrapnel.
IMO the leaking propane itself caused all the damage and injuries---leaving the propane tank intact.

My thoughts exactly. I also think this was most likely a one pound disposable cylinder, not a refillable 5 pounder. It was connected to the grill, and the knob was inadvertently opened when they loaded it in the SUV. The tank DID NOT explode. The propane inside the vehicle did.

:):)

Could a one pound cylinder get enough propane into a SUV that size to cause that big of a explosion ? After all vehicles are not air tight. It might well be able to, I don't know that is why I'm asking.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobsallyh wrote:
As I post this, there is no known cure for stupid at this time!

There is indeed a cure for Stupid.. It goes like this
Brothers and sisters we are gatherd to day in honor of our Dearly Departed (Inswert Stupid's name here) who has....

Or you can just go to www.darwinawards.com and read up on 'em.

My favorite Darwin story is mistitled. "Living on Zionist time"

YOu see.. They did not live.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times