cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane or Electric water heater

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
We recently acquired a 2014 fifth wheel.
During the walk around, the tech showed us it had switches for gas and electric water heaters.
He said the electric heated faster, but over a longer period we may want to use propane.

This weekend was our first trip. We set up, and I click on the electric water heater. We had ample hot water.

In my mind I am thinking, "electricity is included in my nightly rate, propane is not." So I left it on electric with no issues.

Do you have a preference?

Any advantage to one or the other?

Obviously if we were boondocking it would be propane. This was a 50 amp site though.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4
25 REPLIES 25

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally PROPANE heats faster however your millage may vary. The reason is there is a limit to how much power they can feed the beast on Electric.

That said.. Campsites come in two flavors
Electricity included or flat rate billed,, Electricity metered and billed.

In addition some campgrounds "mark up" the electric (illegal in some states).

So in assorted places on the web, including this forum, (Though I do not have a link handy) they have charts that show assorted prices for Gas (propane) and electric (KWH) and if you run your finger down and across and are Above a linem, One is cheaper, below that same line the other is.

Oh and in some cases.. if you need hot water very fast or more than the heater holds, IF your heater allows, You can use both Gas and Electric at the same time for Fastest recovery.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It's nice to not hear a gas WH firing off at 3am. For some reason people tend to leave them on 24/7. They must be deaf.

Some of us are thank you. And many of us became that way serving you!
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Suburban or Atwood (based on initial startup temps)

Electric has the slowest recovery rate (~6 gal/hr)
Propane has a higher recovery rate (~11.5--13.5 gal/hr depending on burner btu)
Electric/propane together (~18--20 gal/hr)

Atwood uses SAME set of 12V DC t-stats for both electric/propane (since 2004) so they both turn on/off at same time (ON ~110*F OFF ~140*F)

Suburban has separate sets of t-stats..120V AC for electric and 12V DC for propane ----SAME set point (ON ~100*F OFF ~130*F)---might be slight delay between the two due to +/- variances from mfg.

My 6 gal Atwood takes 20 mins from cold water start up to hot water shutdown on propane. I have no idea how long on AC as I am always boon docking.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Our rule is pretty simple.

1) Elec when we have paid power, and outside temps are below 90 (we've had 113 days over 90 so far this year).

2) Propane when we have to pay for electricity.

3) Propane when we have 30 amp power.

4) Our water heater is under the kitchen counter. We have found that when we have typical normal Texas temps - over 90 often from early April to late October - having the water heater on raises the interior temperature. We have an external switch on the water heater to turn on electrical power, and an internal switch to turn on propane water heating. Much of the year, we will only turn on the propane switch when we need hot water.

We have water warm enough to shower, wash dishes, in less than five minutes. Then we turn off the water heating.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
My experience in home water heaters is that NG is faster than electric, I didn't understand why an RV would be different. Apparently it isn't.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I used both, propane with no power then electric when I had power.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban or Atwood (based on initial startup temps)

Electric has the slowest recovery rate (~6 gal/hr)
Propane has a higher recovery rate (~11.5--13.5 gal/hr depending on burner btu)
Electric/propane together (~18--20 gal/hr)

Atwood uses SAME set of 12V DC t-stats for both electric/propane (since 2004) so they both turn on/off at same time (ON ~110*F OFF ~140*F)

Suburban has separate sets of t-stats..120V AC for electric and 12V DC for propane ----SAME set point (ON ~100*F OFF ~130*F)---might be slight delay between the two due to +/- variances from mfg.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
well, unless yours is a very unusual water heater, propane will heat much faster than electric. However, usually electricity is "free" at campsites unless you stay for weeks/months, then they may charge.

x2! The tech is wrong.

If you have electricity, use the electric side.

But we almost always dry camp, so the electric side is a no go.
The propane is much faster heating than the electric.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are paying for both propane and electric, propane is frequently less expensive. The following is very handy for comparing your situations:

http://www.propane101.com/propanevselectricity.htm
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
Where is WesternRV parkowner to chastise us for using the poor businessmans electricity? You have propane why do you expect the camp ground owner to shoulder your excesses?

Probably because you are paying for the electricity in the camping fee. The same goes for water. Just because you have a fresh water tank doesn't mean you shouldn't use the water that is available at the site. :B

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
we have a switch to go between fireplace or water heater so in cooler months we use just gas for hot water.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We don't run the electric AND A/C at the same time. The system will probably handle it but the supplied voltage drops when both are energized. The cost for propane is negligible unless you full-time, I think.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks as always guys.
We showered back to back and had plenty of hot water.
Good to know I could use both if I needed to.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Where is WesternRV parkowner to chastise us for using the poor businessmans electricity? You have propane why do you expect the camp ground owner to shoulder your excesses?