cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

potty without the rv

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post this but wondering what folks do when traveling on remote roads with few or no bathroom facilities available and a sudden urge to p*%p strikes and the need is urgent.
We find the older we get the more this develops into an emergency. Situation.
Would you haul around a small pop trailer (like an Aliner)? We can't be the only people that have this happen, how do you handle this?
I know some will find humor in this but for some this is a real world problem.
I thank you in advance.
Lee
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.
55 REPLIES 55

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
do like the animals do. poop an bury.

I have not seen many bears or deer digging holes in the woods, although my dog has been known to kick a few leaves and twigs, maybe some gravel, over a freshly dropped deuce once in while. :h

To the OP, if you have to pull over and go through the motions needed to pop up an Aliner when the urge arises, better carry some extra gutchies and a case of wetwipes.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
When exploring with my mom, I take a luggable loo along. She's in her 70s, with both knees replaced, so squatting is not going to happen.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
Never gave such a situation a thought. I was in the Army I can take a dump anywhere. Take a leaf and finish the job so long as the leaf isn't Poison Ivy, Oak or Nettle.
Are you by chance an 89 year old woman? Your solution may not work for an 89 year old lady, which is why the question was posed initially.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Never gave such a situation a thought. I was in the Army I can take a dump anywhere. Take a leaf and finish the job so long as the leaf isn't Poison Ivy, Oak or Nettle.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were pulling a Pop-up we always had a Cap on out Truck with a Port-a-Potty. Got a lot of use.
Once we moved up to a TT we just used the facilities with-in.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry a "Luggable Loo" ($19.99 on Amazon) - it's the old 5-gallon bucket, but has a nice toilet seat and lid that snap onto the top. It's basically the same height as a toilet. When lined with a trash bag and some kitty litter added, it makes tossing the contents into the trash a simple operation. Lightweight, too, and doesn't take up much space. Also provides a 5-gallon bucket in case you need to haul water, etc.

Luggable Loo

I should add that if privacy is needed, setting the potty on the ground next to the vehicle with a door open, and a gentleman holding a blanket on the other side, should offer enough coverage that a lady in need doesn't feel overexposed?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Since I have a truck camper, my toilet and kitchen and bed travel with me.

It is hard to get much more convenient. My favorite example is traveling in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. I travel in the truck camper, pull over and use the toilet when needed. Lunch time I cook a quick meal and eat it at the side of the road watching the bison or other wildlife. Meanwhile the big rig travelers drive to the Lamar Valley in their toads. They have to use the outhouses that you can smell for a mile. Lunch is a sandwich or whatever. By mid to late afternoon, they are worn out and begin the drive back to the RV parks, mostly outside of Yellowstone. I typically take an afternoon nap, eat dinner and return as the sun is setting.

X2

That describes exactly what we do - except in our small Class C motorhome. We like a toilet, cooktop, refrigerator, bed, dinette, lounge chair, etc., with us at all times whenever out and about.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I have a truck camper, my toilet and kitchen and bed travel with me.

It is hard to get much more convenient. My favorite example is traveling in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. I travel in the truck camper, pull over and use the toilet when needed. Lunch time I cook a quick meal and eat it at the side of the road watching the bison or other wildlife. Meanwhile the big rig travelers drive to the Lamar Valley in their toads. They have to use the outhouses that you can smell for a mile. Lunch is a sandwich or whatever. By mid to late afternoon, they are worn out and begin the drive back to the RV parks, mostly outside of Yellowstone. I typically take an afternoon nap, eat dinner and return as the sun is setting.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Pool noodle, and a five gallon pail with the bottom cut out. Dig hole, position bucket, take care of business, bury the results. Done.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Given your age, I can see popping a squat and getting back up being a challenge.
5 gal bucket with a lid or toilet seat lid(look at camping toilets online) would be a great choice. Have something near to pull yourself back up.
Me personally, a stack of napkins from a fast food restaurant in the glovebox is ultimate preparedness in remote areas.
Just grabbed a fresh stack yesterday morning before we headed into the back country. To replenish what was in my pack!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have that small portable toilet in my van. I recommend also a sturdy box to go underneath it. It's very low by itself, for an 89 year old. Or for me!

It has a water reservoir and a flushing mechanism, but like most of the commenters on Amazon, I don't use that. You can if you want, though. I find it more convenient just to pour a little water out of a jug if needed.

I previously used the bucket, pool noodle (or pipe insulation), and garbage bag system. Honestly, for intermittent use I would find that more comfortable and convenient. It would depend on her bowels' level of persnicketiness. And also her balance. The bucket requires a little more balance than the potty.

For poop, you don't need the kitty litter. For pee, I used a plastic jug which I set inside the bucket, with also a clean garbage bag in the bucket. As backup for for poor aim :-). No kitty litter regardless.

Add the portable shower tent for an enclosure, and things should be pretty ok.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
A small collapsible shovel from an Army Surplus store. Have a roll of toilet paper with you. Dig the hole... A jug of water and some hand sanitizer and a roll of paper tolls. Box of some kind to toss all this into.

Many years of car and VW van travel has taught me...

Gary Haupt
And if you had a wife who is 89 as the OP stated his is I'd like to see you convince her this is a good solution.

Dave

Not sure I could wait long enough to dig a hole sometimes. :B For someone 89 I would go with a small portable cassette toilet.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
A small collapsible shovel from an Army Surplus store. Have a roll of toilet paper with you. Dig the hole... A jug of water and some hand sanitizer and a roll of paper tolls. Box of some kind to toss all this into.

Gary Haupt
And if you had a wife who is 89 as the OP stated his is I'd like to see you convince her this is a good solution.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/