cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pooo! RVIA Shipment Report for March Reveals 50.8% Decrease

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer

Bring this up when sitting in front of that sales guy, in between the 20 trips he takes going back and forth to his sales manager.

If this holds through the remainder of 2023, which it has a fairly good chance of doing given interest rates and the economy in general along with the fact that FEB/MAR are typically the leading months for shipments, it may put the RV Industry back to somewhere @ the 2011 numbers, 250,000ish. The only way dealers around us can get another rig on the lot would be to start stacking them 2 high with a forklift. Sales are in the sheethole.

"As camping season approaches, the RV industry continues to produce innovative products that will open the door for great outdoor experiences,โ€ said Craig Kirby, president & CEO, RV Industry Association. โ€œAs consumers head to RV dealerships across the country this spring and summer, they will find many affordable options across all product types that will help them begin a journey towards a lifetime of memorable RV and camping experiences with friends and family.โ€

TRANSLATION; As camping season approaches, the RV industry continues to produce innovative products that will open the door for great outdoor experiences,โ€ said Craig Kirby, president & CEO, RV Industry Association. โ€œAs consumers head to RV dealerships across the country this spring and summer, they will find many affordable options across all product types that will help them begin a journey towards a lifetime of visits to the service center and constant repairs and replacement of cheap components done in the driveway. โ€
12 REPLIES 12

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Snip...

Edit. What did I say that was offensive?

I suspect it was the short comment with the three capitol letters at the end of your 2nd sentence.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Holefully soon, lol. Iโ€™m lookin for a new camper soon!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
I see plenty of TT's for sale on social media in the "bought in 2021, no time to use it now" bucket, and at the same time people are apparently still buying brand new. I've seen 2022's going for less than half MSRP, as in $16k for a 29ft no-slide bunkhouse.

There is a new General RV near me that is packed to the rafters with units. Funny there is also a 'Now Hiring' banner strung up on their main building. I can only guess its their way of saying "situation normal here, no sale prices needed look how prosperous we are."

The floorplans these dealers are carrying have to be ruinous. When do the implosions start?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
โ€ฆ average intelligence (stupidity)...

My grandfather called those people the โ€˜room temperature IQ crowdโ€™.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Exactlyโ€ฆbut they still seem to be selling quick hereโ€ฆ.
Private sales anyway based on how long adds are up on CL and FB.
Still trying to figure out if thereโ€™s just a million people who are trying to burn up all their money before it burns out, like @3tons theory, or just still general average intelligence (stupidity) and instant gratification are the culprits.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
There seems to be lots of nearly new (used?) units for sale around here. Numerous ads are so bold as to say โ€˜Bought in 202X but never used.โ€™ and similar statements.

Unfortunately these (now) sellers still think the unit is worth the pandemic pricing they paid.

I have no doubt the drop in shipments is a combination of higher interest rates and a lack of demand following a buying spree the last few years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Now waiting for the prices to tankโ€ฆwhich hasnโ€™t happened. This whole Covid effect has and continues to be the longest drawn out economic weirdness I can recall.
But that aside, been casually shopping for a new (used) camper and glad Iโ€™m not in the need to purchase yet as out here theyโ€™re still flying off of Craigslist for 2021/2022 prices still. Toyhaulers and TCs anywayโ€ฆ

Edit. What did I say that was offensive?

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Looking at just those numbers, looks like Class C's didn't fair badly at all, comparably, While for whatever reasons, towables really went into the crapper.

Perhaps those class C numbers from month to month may be skewed due to the RV manufacturers not being able to get the chassis from the automotive manufacturers going back for a long period of time. Supply may have not met demand especially from the middle of Covid onward when the vehicle shortages kicked in.

As an example, Camping World only shows 989 new class C's available nationwide. Another large dealer regional/national chain, Campers Inn, shows less than 250 on their 35 or so lots.

agesilaus wrote:
Good matbe the newbie and trashie flood is over

I doubt it. That trashie flood won't be over until you take away the virtual monopoly Lippert has on about everything used by just about all RV manufacturers. If that ever happens is a big IF.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking at just those numbers, looks like Class C's didn't fair badly at all, comparably, While for whatever reasons, towables really went into the crapper.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems everybody saw it but the RV Dealers. I just bought a leftover 2022 Montana. They wanted to give me next to nothing for my 2009 Open Range 385RLS. I sold it from my driveway for $13,000 and felt like I did well on a trailer I bought 13 years ago for $36,000.
Hopefully the manufacturers can slow down now and start producing quality units.....
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Really, who couldn't see this coming? The demand craze during Covid when all other forms of travel were shut down prompted a ton of new/sold units. Now, not only is the market saturated, manufacturers ramped up production and dealers ordered way too much inventory. Add that many newbie Covid campers are probably trying to sell their units and now you have too much supply and no demand. I think we all saw this coming a mile away.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good matbe the newbie and trashie flood is over
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper